Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Dec 31, 2016, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: tcook052
This new annual thread has been carved out of the previous thread in an effort to reduce the number of megathreads on the AC forum. For those interested previous versions are the original 2004 - 2014 thread , 2015 edition , and 2016 edition.

The original thread started by accident but quickly became a popular place to come and discuss off topic things such as hockey, new movies, or almost anything that wouldn't fit into existing AC forum threads. More Air Canada or Aeroplan topics such as flight feedback, in-flight services issues or mileage earning/redemption are all topics that should go into existing AC forum threads so others can benefit from this information. Topics about hotels or airlines and/or their loyalty programs or should be posted elsewhere on FT as should topics better suited to other forums such as Travel Products for questions about luggage or Travel Photography for discussion about cameras.

While the conversation is more relaxed as it would be in a lounge that doesn't mean however that the FT rules don't apply her as they definitely do so please refrain from controversial topics such as politics or religion, avoid profanities and treat other lounge patrons with the same respect you expect.

Sean Peever
FT Poster
Print Wikipost

The Forum Lounge Thread (2017)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2016, 2:55 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM, Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Hz 5*
Heading to FRA on 872. Hoping to get the BMW transfer because I'm late. Lol. New year's Eve party on the plane, I hope! Got the BMW!
Old Dec 31, 2016, 2:59 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Originally Posted by canadiancow
1. How did you fail G?
2. Don't call it "San Fran" if you want people to think you belong
1. I was told to change lane into a slower traffic, I slowed down in order to merge in. Instant fail.

2. Whoops.
Old Dec 31, 2016, 3:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
My only recollection of the G test was that they wanted to verify I was looking in the right direction at all times.

Cars are stupid. Take Uber.
Old Dec 31, 2016, 3:08 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
My only recollection of the G test was that they wanted to verify I was looking in the right direction at all times.

Cars are stupid. Take Uber.
Another part why they failed me was apparently my blind spot check was not obvious enough(?!?!?!?!?!?!), I think this is what they are looking for:
Old Dec 31, 2016, 3:09 pm

Well clearly you didn't stretch your neck enough before getting in the car
Old Dec 31, 2016, 3:33 pm

Programs: Irrelevant
Originally Posted by ffsim
AC71, eh? I guess this qualifies as a post-and-dash lol

I'm surprised no one further east jumped on starting the thread... gonna need to start calling you Sean Quickdraw Peever
I have been told by a few people in Vancouver that "quickdraw" has been used to describe Sean Peever in other contexts as well.

I'm in Germany and it never occurred to me that I'd win any NY battle with FTers

Though I almost went to Australia, where I might have had a chance
So, I wonder how many will be planning NYE trips to SYD, HND. NRT etc next year.

Originally Posted by yyznomad
Happy New Year, dingleberries and to the self-righteous detachment of RCHHMP!
Happy New Year to you too - however I feel it is completely unwarranted to insult the dingleberries by associating them to the RCHHMP visit Grandma once a year types of travelers.

1. How did you fail G?
2. Don't call it "San Fran" if you want people to think you belong
At least he didn't call The City "frisco" ^ As I have heard far too many tourons call The City "frisco"
Old Dec 31, 2016, 4:28 pm

Programs: TK *G
Happy new year everyone. I am at a place that is UTC+8. If I stayed late enough last night I can probably legitimately be the first one to start this thread
​​​​​​​
Old Dec 31, 2016, 8:09 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA*S, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond | Formerly: AC Super Elite
Originally Posted by jaysona
At least he didn't call The City "frisco" ^ As I have heard far too many tourons call The City "frisco"
what's wrong with frisco? at least it's less ambiguous than SF (santa fe, san fernando ... etc)

Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
Hopeful of in 2017:
A good summer internship in Toronto or San Fran or NYC!
No idea what's with the appeal of frisco ... but if you make it down here, be prepared for the rent sticker shock ahahaha
Old Dec 31, 2016, 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by maradori
No idea what's with the appeal of frisco ... but if you make it down here, be prepared for the rent sticker shock ahahaha
Well I doubt I will make it down there after two leads I was pursuing failed out.
Now aiming at EU/China tech giant positions, hopefully I can edge out there. Well If I do get it, my gifted E50K should atleast be of some use.
Old Dec 31, 2016, 10:08 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
It's legit now: happy new year folks!!
Old Dec 31, 2016, 10:40 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
1. I was told to change lane into a slower traffic, I slowed down in order to merge in. Instant fail.

2. Whoops.
I don't really understand the benefit of the licensing system - thousands upon thousands of people are failed based on trivialities but then in real life, the police never ever ticket anyone for anything except speeding because they prefer to sit on the side of the road with radar guns than actually patrol and enforce things like non-use of signals, hogging the passing lane, merging across solid lines, turning on red lights, etc., etc. Once you have a licence you can drive until you're senile without ever being tested again and it's pretty evident that many people on the roads DGAF about the majority of traffic laws (if they even know about them).

And the driving test requires people to drive in ways that they never would in real life (e.g. focusing super hard on maintaining a speed band of 95-100 on the 401 rather than just following traffic and being aware of your surroundings).
Old Dec 31, 2016, 11:07 pm

新年快樂!

OK, not in China at the moment, but an early time zone at least!

JJ - NYC, SFO and YYZ? There is MUCH wider world to explore beyond! I don't know you but please consider a wider world! For example, Chinese drivers' tests are MUCH easier to pass . What about Glasgow? Phnomh Penh? Lagos? Churchill?

Dr. PITUK

Last edited by painintheuk; Dec 31, 2016 at 11:12 pm
Old Dec 31, 2016, 11:10 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
They also like to catch people who slow down and don't stop at the huge number of ridiculous stop signs that seem to exist to waste time and fuel. Grrr.
Happy 2017. Here's hoping we survive past Jan 20th.
Old Jan 1, 2017, 2:40 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Originally Posted by eigenvector
I don't really understand the benefit of the licensing system - thousands upon thousands of people are failed based on trivialities but then in real life, the police never ever ticket anyone for anything except speeding because they prefer to sit on the side of the road with radar guns than actually patrol and enforce things like non-use of signals, hogging the passing lane, merging across solid lines, turning on red lights, etc., etc. Once you have a licence you can drive until you're senile without ever being tested again and it's pretty evident that many people on the roads DGAF about the majority of traffic laws (if they even know about them).

And the driving test requires people to drive in ways that they never would in real life (e.g. focusing super hard on maintaining a speed band of 95-100 on the 401 rather than just following traffic and being aware of your surroundings).
it's also trivial to get around the GDL system. For example, get a GDL license in AB, transfer it to a US license while studying there, do no driving but maintain a valid license for two years and boom. You can transfer it back to a non restricted ab license when you return home. Or you can study in NS which automatically removes restrictions rather than making you take a test.

Speaking of which: why is the licensing test so darn expensive?
Old Jan 1, 2017, 4:51 am

I might be about to misconnect in LHR on my MUC-LHR-YYZ-SFO itinerary.

I had no idea MCT was 90 minutes. Connection was booked as 120. We're still on the ground in MUC.

Fun fun fun. If we miss this, we're overnighting somewhere.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.