Go Back   > > >

Old Jun 19, 17, 12:27 pm   #1
Original Poster

Programs: SkyTeam: AF/KL Silver; Star Alliance: CM Gold; UA; AV; OneWorld: BA
Question Flying ROUGE as *A Gold

I've purchased an AC flight from SJO to YYZ in economy cabin. Had to purchase a Rouge-operated flight as no other direct options were available.

I understand that, as Star Alliance Gold (I'll be using my CM frequent flyer), I'll get lounge access and one free checked bag. Any other perks I can hope to get?

I assume that I will not be eligible for complimentary upgrades. However, will I be able to select a preferred seat within the economy cabin free of charge?
skyteamelite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 17, 12:52 pm   #2

Programs: E35K
Priority checkin, security, baggage and boarding as Zone 2.

I think you'd need to pay for preferred seating. I would personally recommend this if your budget allows. Rouge Y without extra leg room is very unpleasant unless you are very small.

AC doesn't do complimentary upgrades unless they run out of space. As a CM *G you have very little chance of an operational upgrade. You could bid or will be offered an LMU if space is available.
jc94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 17, 1:02 pm   #3

Programs: AC MM E75 , SPG LT Plat
Star Gold do not get preferred seats for free, that is not *A Gold benefit.
IluvSQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 17, 1:07 pm   #4

Programs: AC E50 UA 1k
FREE 24 hour cancellation

Its not to late to cancel, take a connection, ROUGE is horrible and be aware you will not get 100% qualifying miles.
flybit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 17, 1:36 pm   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybit View Post
Its not to late to cancel, take a connection, ROUGE is horrible and be aware you will not get 100% qualifying miles.
You will if booked in Flex
Old Jun 19, 17, 1:45 pm   #6
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K, AS MVPG75, AA EXP, QR Silver, Fairmont Plat, Marriott/SPG Gold, Carlson Gold
Quote:
Originally Posted by flybit View Post
Correct, if crediting to Copa W, G , S, T, L, A, K earn 50%

I agree, cancel rouge, go for the Avianca direct flight (same plane stop for 45 mins in SAL) or fly Copa.
rankourabu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 17, 2:13 pm   #7
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC S100K, AA Gold, UA*S, A3*G, FPC Plat, SPG Gold, CC Gold, Hilton Gold
You'll get 3 free bags, not 1.
canadiancow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 17, 9:27 am   #8
Original Poster

Thanks for your advice.

I'm flying back on AV via SAL. However on outbound flight AV times are not convenient, and price is almost double. I'd rather use that money to upgrade to premium cabin on the Rouge direct flight.

What's clear is that I'm not going to sit in a standard standard economy seat. Now wondering whether I should invest USD 40-50 for a preferred economy seat or bid for a USD 200 upgrade to premium cabin. Any thoughts?
Old Jun 20, 17, 9:43 am   #9

Programs: American Exec Plat, Hyatt Refugeeist, Marriot Gold, Air Canada Cattle Class, Korean Air Morning Plat
I would really avoid Rouge. While the seat tightness and uniforms of the FA's do have some entertainment value (Google "Rob Lowe Air Canada Rouge"), the experience is rarely a positive one.
The smallest state is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 17, 9:44 am   #10

Programs: AC SE, SPG Plat100, Hilton Silver
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyteamelite View Post
Thanks for your advice.

I'm flying back on AV via SAL. However on outbound flight AV times are not convenient, and price is almost double. I'd rather use that money to upgrade to premium cabin on the Rouge direct flight.

What's clear is that I'm not going to sit in a standard standard economy seat. Now wondering whether I should invest USD 40-50 for a preferred economy seat or bid for a USD 200 upgrade to premium cabin. Any thoughts?
Both.

If you don't win the upgrade bid you are still sitting in preferred seating.

If you do win the upgrade bid and get moved up front then you will be refunded your preferred seating fee.
djkyyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 17, 11:30 am   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by djkyyc View Post
Both.

If you do win the upgrade bid and get moved up front then you will be refunded your preferred seating fee.
And there's still potential for an LMU. Do everything you can afford to avoid sitting in standard Rouge Y. Just bear in mind that both of these options with AC result in you getting originally listed miles (unlike some other airlines).
Old Jun 20, 17, 1:16 pm   #12
Original Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by djkyyc View Post
Both.

Didn't know I'd be refunded the preferred seating fee in that case. That's great news.

Do you know if preferred seating fees remain the same whether purchased ahead of online check-in, during online check-in or at the airport?
Old Jun 20, 17, 5:06 pm   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyteamelite View Post
Do you know if preferred seating fees remain the same whether purchased ahead of online check-in, during online check-in or at the airport?
Remains the same.
Old Jun 20, 17, 5:08 pm   #14

Does winning a bid auto refund the preferred seat like an eUp or does one have to write in?
Old Jun 20, 17, 6:17 pm   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc94 View Post
Does winning a bid auto refund the preferred seat like an eUp or does one have to write in?
Probably a good question for the bid thread. I have no idea, I've never bid on an upgrade.