Search

Canada PY or Narrowbody J

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2017, 9:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: E50K, *Gold, WS Gold,VIA Premier, VIPorter
Canada PY or Narrowbody J

Hi,
Is there any benefit of $150 more for J class on a Narrowbody (A321), instead of just booking PY on a 789?

I imagine the seat is very similar, but what can I expect in terms of service onboard?

Thank you!
Old Jun 27, 2017, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by PilotTobe
Hi,
Is there any benefit of $150 more for J class on a Narrowbody (A321), instead of just booking PY on a 789?

I imagine the seat is very similar, but what can I expect in terms of service onboard?

Thank you!
Nobody here would know in practice until July 1... so everything we know is in print and I think the verdict is still out on that.

But if I have to proffer an opinion, for $150 I'd probably do J if it were transcon.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 9:28 am

Programs: AC SE*MM, Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Hz 5*
If there are IRROPS I'd much rather be in J. I would imagine the service will be much better on narrowbody J also. You also have wider and softer armrests in J. I find in PY you are still nearly fighting for the armrest, and they are hard enough to cause me to lose circulation in my arms when sleeping.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 9:45 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Service is going to be similar I feel. While we don't know, it's AC so I expect it's inconsistent.

J is more miles, better IRROPs generally and Zone 1 with MLL access of course. Plus 2x32kg baggage. Dom J seats are generally larger (wider) than PY.

And you get a dedicated washroom

Last edited by jc94; Jun 27, 2017 at 9:53 am
Old Jun 27, 2017, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by jc94
And you get a dedicated washroom
Are you saying those in "pee, why?" must sit in their own pee?
Old Jun 27, 2017, 9:54 am
Original Poster

AC just sent me to this link but from what I can tell, I still get a meal, free alcohol. No MLL lounge is fine as my connection is short and in terms of IRROPS I think I'd still be ahead of Y.
And for a day time flight where I will be watching movies, it does not make a huge difference.

Thanks for the replies tho!
Old Jun 27, 2017, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by yyznomad
Are you saying those in "pee, why?" must sit in their own pee?
Beats other peoples
Old Jun 27, 2017, 9:55 am

AC just sent me to this link but from what I can tell, I still get a meal, free alcohol. No MLL lounge is fine as my connection is short and in terms of IRROPS I think I'd still be ahead of Y.
And for a day time flight where I will be watching movies, it does not make a huge difference.

Are you sure? Aren't those extra 25% aeropesos worth $150?

(Yes I am joking)
Old Jun 27, 2017, 9:58 am

Question to OP.

If PY were not available it sounds like you would have paid for J here.

Is this the first known instance where AC has LOST money by making PY available?
Old Jun 27, 2017, 10:00 am
Original Poster

Question to OP.

Is this the first known instance where AC has LOST money by making PY available?
Yes and no...WS is still cheaper, so just looking at all of my options. I just can't see on a non widebody aircraft, what you're paying for:

-Aeroplan points not worth the premium
-Neither is a dedicated washroom
-MLL isn't a huge deal
-Ice cream and cookies IS a big one, but maybe I can ask the SD nicely
Old Jun 27, 2017, 10:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond

Your profile says you're E50K, which is more important for both MLL and IRROPS.

Question to OP.

That's what happens when you market a product that appears identical, and is cheaper, than your existing product.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 10:03 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Biggest difference that we can speculate on ahead of time is if you need to make a change to your itinerary, voluntarily or involuntarily, PY is way more likely to be "re-accommodated" in Y than in PY/J because PY simply isn't available on most aircraft flying the domestic transcons. Would you get bumped up to J? For IRROPs, maybe. For SDC? No chance unless you pay a fare difference.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 10:15 am

Programs: AC SE*MM, Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Hz 5*
With a J cabin ticket you can also do a free SDC on domestic flights AFAIK. This gives you additional options and flexibility on day of travel.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eigenvector
Biggest difference that we can speculate on ahead of time is if you need to make a change to your itinerary, voluntarily or involuntarily, PY is way more likely to be "re-accommodated" in Y than in PY/J because PY simply isn't available on most aircraft flying the domestic transcons. Would you get bumped up to J? For IRROPs, maybe. For SDC? No chance unless you pay a fare difference.
I thought the policy is to reaccom into J when no O cabin exists?
Old Jun 27, 2017, 10:28 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by yyznomad
I thought the policy is to reaccom into J when no O cabin exists?
This was my understanding as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.