Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Unofficial: Complimentary CK/EXP Premium Economy Upgrades?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Unofficial: Complimentary CK/EXP Premium Economy Upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2017, 3:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Originally Posted by hiima
I'm hoping it's something like CK W> CK Y> Exp W> Exp Y> Pro W> Pro Y etc.
I'm quite positive in speculating that it will be this.

...which makes the complimentary UGs to PE even more probably for a EXP in Y if they do not want to burn a SWU (or miss it). ^ (as the CK/EXPs in W will go to J first)

Either way, it looks good for not having to sit in Y or MCE on a PE plane for an EXP!
Old Jan 18, 2017, 4:56 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by hiima
I'm hoping it's something like CK W> CK Y> Exp W> Exp Y> Pro W> Pro Y etc.
Originally Posted by teemuflyer
Logically this would make sense, otherwise it would open a back door for a PLT to get an upgrade from PE before an EXP from Y, and having maybe paid $300 more for that ticket. But in the big picture, with the new EQD requirements in place, the EXP has (or will) likely spent more $s than a PLT over the year.

Also, with the rolling EQD (spend) UG prioritization going into effect between pax in the same tier, doing otherwise would complicate things even further..
Originally Posted by econometrics
I'm quite positive in speculating that it will be this.

...which makes the complimentary UGs to PE even more probably for a EXP in Y if they do not want to burn a SWU (or miss it). ^ (as the CK/EXPs in W will go to J first)

Either way, it looks good for not having to sit in Y or MCE on a PE plane for an EXP!
Well. Back doors have been opened a long time ago.

From a EXP wishful thinking point of view, yes, EXP Y > PLAT W makes totally sense.

From a profit/revenue point of view (I guess AA's point of view), If W (Premium Economy) is something designed to stay (not a one year experiment), then PLAT W > EXP Y makes more sense to me.

IF you are an EXP and are potentially frustrated that the PLAT willing to spend $300 more for W gets your upgrade, well, then you may as well spend the $300 extra yourself (pennies for you) and beat the PLAT in the upgrade list.
IF 300 is too much for you then you might fall in the cheapo-EXP category (no offense, I've been one myself). And AA does not care about cheapo EXPs getting pissed off.

At the end of the day, upgrading from Y to J for practical matters will require an up-fare for any decent chance of successful upgrade (and then it is just like UAs system where higher fare is required)
Old Jan 18, 2017, 5:10 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by carlosdca
At the end of the day, upgrading from Y to J for practical matters will require an up-fare for any decent chance of successful upgrade (and then it is just like UAs system where higher fare is required)
Except that in the UA system, you have nothing except PQD to show for your higher fare purchase if the GPU doesn't clear; on AA, you'd be guaranteed a seat in W, which has both hard- and soft-product advantages over Y.

Remember, the W cabins won't be large, so the pool of potential upgraders with waitlist priority over a Y-paying EXP won't be large, either. Remember that the number of SWU's awarded has been cut roughly in half. Remember that somebody who pays for W doesn't have as big an incentive to use an SWU because W is better than Y. And remember that with complementary EXP upgrades Y>W, the incentive to use a SWU to get out of Y goes down.

That's my $0.02, anyway.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 7:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by SFO_FT
Could see this being done for a short-term period (eg, 1 year) to introduce Y pax to the new cabin.
Yes, I wonder just how "published" this benefit will ultimately be. The less officially published, the easier it will be for AA to quietly take away once/if there's a legitimate market for the W cabin.

Originally Posted by carlosdca
Personally, I think it is far too early to suggest this until we know more about Y/W upgrade prioritization.

-FlyerBeek
Old Jan 18, 2017, 7:34 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
Yes, I wonder just how "published" this benefit will ultimately be. The less officially published, the easier it will be for AA to quietly take away once/if there's a legitimate market for the W cabin.
I'd differ to the extent that I don't think there will be any possibility of doing it quietly. As/if/when such time comes that they were to change this, I believe it would definitely have to be explicitly announced.

Personally, I think it is far too early to suggest this until we know more about Y/W upgrade prioritization.
Definitely.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 4:41 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Could see this being done for a short-term period (eg, 1 year) to introduce Y pax to the new cabin.
Originally Posted by JonNYC
I'd differ to the extent that I don't think there will be any possibility of doing it quietly. As/if/when such time comes that they were to change this, I believe it would definitely have to be explicitly announced.
Gary quotes AA as saying (emphasis added)

When Premium Economy launches as its own class of service, upgrades from Main Cabin to Premium Economy will not be available via mileage or systemwide upgrades and will clear from Main Cabin or Premium Economy into Business.

We’re developing temporary options to give our customers a way to upgrade into this new class of service and we’ll announce more details once they’re available.
That sounds, to me, very much like this upgrade setup is a temporary situation.

Personally, I would guess that it makes sense to ultimately allow miles upgrades from economy to premium economy and premium economy to business at a lower rate (no copay?) than economy to business even if they do continue to offer economy to business long term. Why would they not eventually offer upgrades like that? However, I can certainly understand them wanting to wait for a while before adding upgrades to or from premium economy to the award chart, both to see how sales/upgrades/fares work out and to have premium economy rolled out on more planes.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 6:27 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ashill
Gary quotes AA as saying (emphasis added)

That sounds, to me, very much like this upgrade setup is a temporary situation.

Personally, I would guess that it makes sense to ultimately....
Hey, life is a "temporary situation"

This is how it is now, so, personally, I'll save my planning for "the next phase" when there's a next phase.

At least it's a chance for some to get good use of their (small allotment of) 2016-earned-SWUs during any such phase-in period, "one year at a time' as it were.

Last edited by JonNYC; Jan 19, 2017 at 7:06 am
Old Jan 19, 2017, 9:58 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by JonNYC
Hey, life is a "temporary situation"
True dat.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 11:55 am

Finally some good news on the AA front...

HT: JonNYC and OMAAT (http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...my-upgrades-2/).

- Systemwide Upgrades (SWUs) will still be valid for upgrades to the business class cabin, even on aircraft with premium economy

- CKs and EXPs will receive complimentary day of departure upgrades from economy to premium economy

-FlyerBeek
Good news, AA has nothing to lose there. That actually helps eliminate some of the stupid op-ups on day of departure, but I am wondering how they would be able to do it without getting the ticket re-issued. If they need to reissued the ticket to reflect the new fare code(W or up), then you can technically earn more miles by first using the AA numbers, then change the FFP during boarding.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 4:39 pm

Programs: AA (PPro/3MM/Admirals Club), AS, UA, Marriott (Gold), HHonors (Gold), Accor (Plat)
Originally Posted by jordyn
I can see arguments for your approach as well as just prioritizing within elite tier, but I do hope that purchasing PE has some effect on priority. There's probably a bunch of flights where I'm willing to risk an upgrade where the fallback is PE but not where it's coach, and it would be great if paying for the better service also meant the upgrade was more likely.
+1

Originally Posted by sdsearch
My big question is: If PE is booked emtpy, and there are no CKs or EXPs in economy on the flight, only PROs or Plats or Golds, will the flight still go out with PE empty?
If there are oversells, then of course the GA may bump up PROs and below to W. Also I understand there will be a way to buy up at check-in.

Last edited by makfan; Jan 19, 2017 at 4:46 pm Reason: Reply to another post in same reply.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 5:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by PaulInTheSky
I am wondering how they would be able to do it without getting the ticket re-issued. If they need to reissued the ticket to reflect the new fare code(W or up), then you can technically earn more miles by first using the AA numbers, then change the FFP during boarding.
Sticker (500 mile) upgrades don't currently require reissue and flights post at the original fare code (also making it impossible to change FFPs and keep the upgrade). I imagine they could easily work a similar construct for complimentary premium economy upgrades.

-FlyerBeek
Old Jan 20, 2017, 5:32 am

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
Here's the challenge AA likely is debating. Should paid PE pax, even low status members, have first priority for their mileage/eVIP supported upgrades to J (i.e., all paid PE clear to J first, based on status of course), and THEN all paid Y pax (based on status) clear to J? As an EXP I would of course like my Y ticket to have higher J UPG priority than a lower status paid PE pax, but would be surprised if AA adopts this approach.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 6:25 am

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, DL PM
Here's the challenge AA likely is debating. Should paid PE pax, even low status members, have first priority for their mileage/eVIP supported upgrades to J (i.e., all paid PE clear to J first, based on status of course), and THEN all paid Y pax (based on status) clear to J? As an EXP I would of course like my Y ticket to have higher J UPG priority than a lower status paid PE pax, but would be surprised if AA adopts this approach.
I don't see the upside to AA giving PE pax upgrade priority. Especially once upgrade priority switches to EQD based later this year - what's aa's interest in upgrading an otherwise low spending gold over a high spending exp just because they happened to have spent slightly more on this flight?
Old Jan 20, 2017, 6:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jay_dubya
what's aa's interest in upgrading an otherwise low spending gold over a high spending exp just because they happened to have spent slightly more on this flight?
To encourage those wanting J upgrades to pay more than they otherwise would have for the flight. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if the Premium Economy price differential ends up being quite higher than "slightly more."

-FlyerBeek
Old Jan 20, 2017, 6:45 am

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, DL PM
Conversely, if buying pe guarantees that you're at worst number 21 on the upgrade list - aa will effectively be discouraging customers from buying J by guaranteeing them a decent spot on the list and a comfortable fall back. If I'm correct, we may see Y to J upgrades remaining long term even with pe.
Maybe just wishful thinking...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.