Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Unofficial: Complimentary CK/EXP Premium Economy Upgrades?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Unofficial: Complimentary CK/EXP Premium Economy Upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2017, 11:03 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by PolarRoute
I just got a call from AA. They are giving me a free upgrade to PE on my flight DFW-GRU tomorrow.
Was that call precipitated by you in any way? Or just a call out of the blue?
Old May 29, 2017, 12:15 pm

Programs: AA (ExecPlat, >2MM), United (Gold, >1 MM), HH (Diamond), SPG (Gold), Accorhotels (Gold)
Originally Posted by JonNYC
Was that call precipitated by you in any way? Or just a call out of the blue?
Out of the blue. When I saw AA calling, I thought they were going to tell me that there was some change to my flight. There was, but not one I expected.
Old May 29, 2017, 12:33 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by PolarRoute
Out of the blue. When I saw AA calling, I thought they were going to tell me that there was some change to my flight. There was, but not one I expected.
Huh. I wonder if that's some new system they have to provide upgrades to P.E. to select CK/EP on these flights.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 10:15 pm

Programs: AA Explat, SPG Gold, HH Gold
Does anyone have a recent experience with this? Is it still an 'unofficial' policy on all international routes?
Old Sep 12, 2017, 9:43 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond
Has anyone used an award ticket in Y and got bumped to PE? I have DFW-CDG Oct 2nd and I have been hoping since I booked this ticket (back in Feb) they would open PE award seats by now, but AA still hasn't rolled that out yet. My last effort would ask the GAs to move me to PE if there was availability.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 7:13 pm
Suspended

Post see

Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
Finally some good news on the AA front...

HT: JonNYC and OMAAT (http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...my-upgrades-2/).

- Systemwide Upgrades (SWUs) will still be valid for upgrades to the business class cabin, even on aircraft with premium economy

- CKs and EXPs will receive complimentary day of departure upgrades from economy to premium economy

-FlyerBeek
Never doubt JonNYC

http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....economy-check/
econometrics likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 7:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by ashill

I don't think anyone doubts that. The question is whether the order will be
1) CK W > CK Y > EXP W > EXP Y > PPRO W > PPRO Y > PLAT W > PLAT Y > GOLD W > Gold Y > no status W > no status Y
or
2) CK W > EXP W > PPRO W > PLAT W > Gold W > no status W > CK Y > EXP Y > PPRO Y > PLAT Y > Gold Y > no status Y

With EQDs presumably being the tiebreaker within a purchased cabin and status level.

Hmm the vast majority of people with SWUs are CKs or EXPs.

So the question is whether

1. CK W > CK Y > EXP W > EXP Y or

2. CK W > EXP W > CK Y > EXP Y

Not a huge difference for EXPs either way.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 12:47 pm

Programs: LH HON
Just now at LAX - got paged and app showed my upgrade has cleared (after having been removed from the upgrade list due to unknown reasons). GA hands me over a new BP with premium economy seat. Upon asking why my upgrade into J hasn't cleared despite availability, he tells me that systemwide upgrades are only for next service class.

So now I'm sitting in PEY and I can already see that a SWU has been withdrawn from my account.

Pax sitting next to me is Plat Pro and got a complimentary upgrade from Y to PEY. Business class has two seats open.

Fun fact - my non status companion got upgraded using my SWU. Into business.

I'm pissed.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 1:14 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ckx2
Just now at LAX - got paged and app showed my upgrade has cleared (after having been removed from the upgrade list due to unknown reasons). GA hands me over a new BP with premium economy seat. Upon asking why my upgrade into J hasn't cleared despite availability, he tells me that systemwide upgrades are only for next service class.

So now I'm sitting in PEY and I can already see that a SWU has been withdrawn from my account.

Pax sitting next to me is Plat Pro and got a complimentary upgrade from Y to PEY. Business class has two seats open.

I'm pissed.
Understandable, that's really bad.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 1:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold

I'm pissed.
That is really frustrating.

Might need to bring some kind of printed statement from AA.com in my carry-on if I'm on a PE service flight trying to SWU to J in the future until the AAgents get more knowledgable about this. Ouch.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 2:03 pm

Programs: AA PLT/3MM, UA GM/1MM, DL DM/1MM, FB Plat, AS MVP Gold, WN AList+
Originally Posted by hiima
This right here is gonna make me go for exp at least for another year.
Might keep me too...unless DL also matches this...we'll see. This policy just duplicates what CX's policy has been for a while in my experience. Ask the day of travel, and top tier on OW gets into CX PE.

My guess is that Dougie and Co. are starting to realize that all the 'enhancements' to EXP are starting to make DL and (gulp) even UA look more and more attractive to heavy flyers - they certainly are to his one.

Heck WN is looking better and better as an alternative for the short stuff.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 2:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GM (2013 Gold, 2014 Silver), Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver

I'm pissed.
Here is the policy per AA's web site:
https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...um-economy.jsp
"For now, you can upgrade from Main Cabin or Premium Economy to First or Business using your AAdvantage miles or systemwide upgrades."

I would be really pissed also. Hopefully you can get this fixed.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 2:31 pm

I'm pissed.
Current policy is that bookings in Y and Y+ upgrade to J. You should contact AA customer relations to have SWU reinstated and probably get some comp miles for the trouble.
TravelLawyer likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 7:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
GA hands me over a new BP with premium economy seat. Upon asking why my upgrade into J hasn't cleared despite availability, he tells me that systemwide upgrades are only for next service class.

I'm pissed.
This is insane and beyond infuriating (particularly the GA's response). I'd not only demand immediate redeposit of the SWU but also compensation for the incomplete upgrade.

-FlyerBeek
JonNYC and TravelLawyer like this.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 10:00 am

Programs: AA 1.6MM EXP; UA GS; SPG LTG,Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by muishkin
Hmm the vast majority of people with SWUs are CKs or EXPs.

So the question is whether

1. CK W > CK Y > EXP W > EXP Y or

2. CK W > EXP W > CK Y > EXP Y

Not a huge difference for EXPs either way.
Was recently on the website looking for something else and came across the blurb on "our new upgrade prioritization order". What I gathered was status > booking code > time of request. And W, P and Y (and all the rest of the economy codes) are listed in that order. So I'd conclude that CK Y>EXP W (option 1 above).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.