Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

beverage policy in coach for "short" flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2017, 11:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K and PP, AA PPro (3MM, former CK), Marriott Ambassador and LTT, Uber One

The last 3 times I flew SAT-DFW, they announced (and were enforcing) that coach would have only a choice of water or OJ because it was a short flight. This was with 3 different crews. When I inquired, one of the crews simply said it was because it was a short flight, but the other 2 said it was an actual policy change. The latter 2 crews happily got me a beverage of my choice after I mentioned I was EXP; the first crew did not.

Does anyone know if this is an actual change in policy? I hadn't seen this in years of flying this route weekly.

(as an aside, this used to be an easy upgrade as an EXP, but lately it's been 50/50 at best, and I'm often number 4 or 5 on the list!)
Old Apr 16, 2017, 12:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by scottmlew
The last 3 times I flew SAT-DFW, they announced (and were enforcing) that coach would have only a choice of water or OJ because it was a short flight. This was with 3 different crews. When I inquired, one of the crews simply said it was because it was a short flight, but the other 2 said it was an actual policy change. The latter 2 crews happily got me a beverage of my choice after I mentioned I was EXP; the first crew did not.

Does anyone know if this is an actual change in policy? I hadn't seen this in years of flying this route weekly.

(as an aside, this used to be an easy upgrade as an EXP, but lately it's been 50/50 at best, and I'm often number 4 or 5 on the list!)
I've noticed lately on short flights small personal bottles of water are given out. It used to be either no service or sometimes a service depending upon the load factor and motivation of the FAs. It seems as though the service has changed for short flights. However, whether FAs will proactively go beyond that is up to the individual FAs.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 12:32 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
I've always had full service while flying AUS-DFW, and it would be even shorter than SAT-DFW.

What type of aircraft? Is it mainline?

For AUS-DFW, I'm usually on an A321 with AA mainline crews. They do an awesome job to service the whole cabin on such a short flight. ^
Old Apr 16, 2017, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by aztimm
I've always had full service while flying AUS-DFW, and it would be even shorter than SAT-DFW.

What type of aircraft? Is it mainline?

For AUS-DFW, I'm usually on an A321 with AA mainline crews. They do an awesome job to service the whole cabin on such a short flight. ^
Agreed. Same on SAT/DFW flights, which are all mainline AFAIK. Quite the mix of types, but all mainline. All offered service, albeit fast & furious style. Don't know what you want? So sorry, "No soup for you."
Old Apr 16, 2017, 1:53 pm

Yes, it is a new policy on short flight to offer juice or water upon request.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 2:41 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
I have had 4 flights between AUS and DFW in the last 5 weeks or so. On all of them there was no service in Y. I was in F on all but one of them, so wasn't really affected, but did notice. In two cases they pre-announced there would be no service due to expected turbulence (even though the flights were smooth as glass), while on the others nothing was said and nothing was offered.

Long before the merger, the choices were limited to coffee, orange juice, and water in the mornings, but full service at other times. Now it appears they don't even bother at any time. Interesting that this is a formal policy change. Is this purely to save catering costs or is AA throwing a bone to the FAs to allow them more time to read magazines and gab?
Old Apr 16, 2017, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Here's the irony....on AUS-DFW (190 miles) on a mainline aircraft, the FAs have done a full drink service on the times I have taken it (granted, it's been a few years). For over 100 pax on board.

But on LGA/JFK-DCA (over 200 miles), on Eagle (45 pax), about 50% of the time, the FA says "there is not enough time for me to serve you safely on this flight." And then she sits in the jumpseat on her iPad the rest of the flight.

Huh???
Old Apr 16, 2017, 4:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K and PP, AA PPro (3MM, former CK), Marriott Ambassador and LTT, Uber One
On my SAT-DFW flt today, they did a full service with time to spare...So it is inconsistent.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 4:52 pm

Programs: AA PLT AA 1MM
So wouldn't flights be catered according to policy for service? if they're catered for full service, is full sevice the policy?
Old Apr 16, 2017, 5:11 pm

its been like this on ORD-MKE for quite some time
Old Apr 16, 2017, 5:20 pm

This is the official AA policy on beverage services in Main Cabin...

Up to 119 - Request Service: No formal service scheduled, individual water bottles and juice cups available upon request.

120 - 250 miles - Short Haul Beverage Service: Individual water bottles and juice cups
EXCEPTION MARKETS that receive Beverage Service:
DFW to/from AUS, HOU, IAH, OKC, SAT, TUL
JFK to/from BOS, DCA
LAX to/from LAS

251 to 699 miles - Beverage Service
No food for sale

700 to 1,099 miles -Beverage/Snack Service
Food for sale (A la cart snacks/snack boxes)

1,100 miles or more -Beverage Snack Service w/Marketplace Cart
No food cart between 2001-0459

1,500 miles or more - Arrival Beverage Service
Old Apr 16, 2017, 5:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by TheSkyGuy
What is this, bringing facts around here??

Seriously, thanks. ^
Old Apr 16, 2017, 5:25 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by TheSkyGuy

Up to 119 - Request Service: No formal service scheduled, individual water bottles and juice cups available upon request.

120 - 250 miles - Short Haul Beverage Service: Individual water bottles and juice cups
EXCEPTION MARKETS that receive Beverage Service:
DFW to/from AUS, HOU, IAH, OKC, SAT, TUL
JFK to/from BOS, DCA
LAX to/from LAS

251 to 699 miles - Beverage Service
No food for sale

700 to 1,099 miles -Beverage/Snack Service
Food for sale (A la cart snacks/snack boxes)

1,100 miles or more -Beverage Snack Service w/Marketplace Cart
No food cart between 2001-0459

1,500 miles or more - Arrival Beverage Service
So where is the below coming from since it is clear SAT-DFW is to receive a full beverage service?

Originally Posted by skylady
Yes, it is a new policy on short flight to offer juice or water upon request.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 7:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
So, hit the call button and ask. If you are denied, mention the exception market to the FA and then file a complaint with AA noting the same. Only way they learn.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
So, hit the call button and ask. If you are denied, mention the exception market to the FA and then file a complaint with AA noting the same. Only way they learn.
If catering makes a mistake, unfortunately there's nothing the FAs can do about it at the time. Hopefully they're reporting these errors via the appropriate channel. There are rumblings about DFW catering being a bit of a mess. I wouldn't be surprised if they're catering these DFW/SAT flights and not realizing they're missing an exception market, but strictly looking at the mileage.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.