Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Poor Customer Service for Elite Members (carry-on bag issue - to merge)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Poor Customer Service for Elite Members (carry-on bag issue - to merge)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2017, 2:50 pm
Original Poster

Angry Poor Customer Service for Elite Members (carry-on bag issue - to merge)

Terrible customer service on American Airlines AGAIN....with my family boarding flight and HEATHER tells me my Briggs & Riley bag that I take each week on AA is too big and she has to check it. Ridiculous!!! I fly almost every week....time to take my business elsewhere.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Traci Foreman
Terrible customer service on American Airlines AGAIN....with my family boarding flight and HEATHER tells me my Briggs & Riley bag that I take each week on AA is too big and she has to check it. Ridiculous!!! I fly almost every week....time to take my business elsewhere.
Does it fit in the sizer?
Old Jun 27, 2017, 3:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Is your point that elite members are entitled to carry on oversized bags?
Old Jun 27, 2017, 3:01 pm

Programs: AA-EXP
Which airport? There was another recent thread saying someone at PHX was very aggressive with denying carry-ons.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 4:10 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Elite, Marriott Titanium, AA Plat, WN A-List Preferred
The airport contracted staff at the entrance to security in PHL are occasionally aggressive about bags, but I have never had anyone from American bat an eye at the gate.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 7:37 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by maracle
The airport contracted staff at the entrance to security in PHL are occasionally aggressive about bags, but I have never had anyone from American bat an eye at the gate.
I've had a gate agent on JFK-SFO take my carry on about two years back. Had escaped scrutiny for a few years, but my time had come. Bag was an inch longer than AA regulations allowed when you included the wheels. Don't really want to wait at SFO for a bag to make it to baggage claim, so my solution was to just buy a smaller bag for these domestic trips. I, too, would be curious what the dimensions were on the OPs bag. Perhaps she can post them.

I fly almost every week....time to take my business elsewhere.
Where are you going? Do you have AA elite status that you can use for a status match?
Old Jun 27, 2017, 8:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Were you in one of the later groups, or did you board the aircraft late? Was the bag oversize? Not saying you're wrong, but details are important.

If your bag is oversize, they'll catch up with you eventually. It doesn't matter if you're a US congressperson or an EXP in paid F--someone will eventually call you out. I learned the hard way and adjusted accordingly by purchasing a rollaboard that is unquestionably within the limits.

Ah, I see someone brought up PHL. That is an entirely different story...
Old Jun 27, 2017, 8:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
sounds like......Phoenix....
Old Jun 27, 2017, 10:03 pm

Last week in DCA and MIA aggressively pulling people aside at the gate and forcing them to use the sizer. Didn't matter one wit that I was EXP in paid J/F. I've flown with that Tumi rollerboard for years.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 10:19 pm

Programs: US Airways Gold, American Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
For the size of bags they let through these days, I wish they would use the sizers more. Empty their bag may fit, but not extended and packed to the max.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 10:36 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by chuck1
I've flown with that Tumi rollerboard for years.
Does it fit the published carry-on dimensions, though? Mine was 23 inches with the wheels.

Shouldn’t exceed 22 x 14 x 9 inches / 56 x 36 x 23 centimeters (including handles and wheels)
https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...on-baggage.jsp
Old Jun 28, 2017, 12:06 am

Programs: American Exec Plat, Hyatt Refugeeist, Marriot Gold, Air Canada Cattle Class, Korean Air Morning Plat
What airport did this happen in? PHX?
Old Jun 28, 2017, 7:52 am

HEATHER tells me my Briggs & Riley bag that I take each week on AA is too big and she has to check it.
I'm convinced this is a clever Briggs & Riley guerrilla marketing campaign. Look at that product placement... I was familiar with TravelPro, Tumi etc but had never heard of B&R so I looked it up - now I totally want one (in grey HEATHER, if they have it).
Old Jun 28, 2017, 8:54 am

Programs: none
Maybe the OP forgot to add DYKWIA?
Old Jun 28, 2017, 9:01 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, WN A+, Marriott LT
I have a wide body Tumi rollerbag that doesn't technically fit the sizer. PHL and ORD are really bad about forcing me to size. Solution: go through security at non-AA checkpoints. Works like a charm. I've seen PHX and DCA do it to folks in later boarding groups, but haven't had an issue as long as I'm boarding with elites.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.