Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

The real proof BA is no longer 'British'...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The real proof BA is no longer 'British'...

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2017, 3:44 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I thought this was going to be about landing momentarily...
Old Jun 18, 2017, 4:03 am

Programs: BA Bronze
Originally Posted by Horatio
I thought this was going to be about landing momentarily...
You would have to ask the 'flight attendants' about that !
is it only me that thinks that the only word that goes with attendant is 'lavatory' ?
Old Jun 18, 2017, 4:19 am

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
Originally Posted by PeacefulWaters
At least the brought back good old British amuse bouche.
Although they are calling it a "pre-appetiser" on the menu, and I always think of appetiser as American usage, albeit with a slightly different spelling. Starters are still starters on the menu, so you have a pre-appetiser followed by a starter.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 4:36 am

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum, Senior Railcard & Bus Pass
Originally Posted by Oaxaca
Although they are calling it a "pre-appetiser" on the menu, and I always think of appetiser as American usage, albeit with a slightly different spelling. Starters are still starters on the menu, so you have a pre-appetiser followed by a starter.
They can't call either of them an entree as it confuses the Americans, for whom that is a main course I believe.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 7:36 am

Originally Posted by WickedStepMother
They can't call either of them an entree as it confuses the Americans, for whom that is a main course I believe.
Ah, the country where one parks on driveways and drives on parkways....
Old Jun 18, 2017, 7:43 am

Never really worked out why we post things with a Royal Mail and they mail things with a Postal Service...
Old Jun 18, 2017, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by quakered
Just hope they don't start calling the bogs "Rest Rooms" or asking us to "deplane".
Recently heard a member of the BA flight deck informing us that we would be landing on skedule. This will never do.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 9:18 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Deeply depressing the low regard some people have for the language of Shakespeare, Kipling and Churchill.

But it on a lighter note I have made courgette cake and it's both easy and quite good. I also grate it into various dishes in order to boost the vegetable intact of my children. Of course if all else fails slice it thin and cover with cheese.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 9:20 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Worcester
I also grate it into various dishes in order to boost the vegetable intact of my children. Of course if all else fails slice it thin and cover with cheese.
Blitzing into pasta sauce works too. ^
Old Jun 18, 2017, 9:25 am

Programs: BA Gold. Kangorucci. NZGE.KLM Gold. VS gold
Deeply depressing the low regard some people have for the language of Shakespeare, Kipling and Churchill.

But it on a lighter note I have made courgette cake and it's both easy and quite good. I also grate it into various dishes in order to boost the vegetable intact of my children. Of course if all else fails slice it thin and cover with cheese.
None of them in their first spring of youth. You can't beat spiralized zucchini with quinoa bolognese
Old Jun 18, 2017, 10:41 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by Hubbabridge
None of them in their first spring of youth. You can't beat spiralized zucchini with quinoa bolognese
If "spiralized" [sic] were a real word (that for the sake of any esteemed members those education is lacking, let me assure them it is not) it would be spelt corrected "spiralised".

But much the same effect can be done on a mandolin and mixed with spaghetti and sufficient quantities of cheese can remain undetected by even the fussy eaters.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 1:38 pm

My grandfather immigrated to the US from the UK in the 1930's. I grew up hearing all sorts of interesting new words for items. This thread has caused me to remember those special times with him, so I thank you for the memory prompt!
Old Jun 18, 2017, 7:58 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by andrelux
Recently heard a member of the BA flight deck informing us that we would be landing on skedule. This will never do.
Understand the frustrations here.....but better accept this quickly as the way English is spoken by Americans, Indians & now add the Middle Easterners etc etc....
Old Jun 19, 2017, 3:19 am

Programs: BA Gold. Kangorucci. NZGE.KLM Gold. VS gold
If "spiralized" [sic] were a real word (that for the sake of any esteemed members those education is lacking, let me assure them it is not) it would be spelt corrected "spiralised".

But much the same effect can be done on a mandolin and mixed with spaghetti and sufficient quantities of cheese can remain undetected by even the fussy eaters.
Adjectival form of The Spiralizer ( a proper noun) can only be Spiralized it cannot be spiralised even if this somehow seems more "english" and therefore more "educated". For the record I can think of nothing more disgusting than quinoa bolognese except parsnip served instead of girasole articiocco (see contributions passim).
Old Jun 19, 2017, 3:28 am

Programs: BA GGL, HHonors Diamond
This one by Heathrow really riles me:

Saw similar advert on the tube with the same "select destinations" (sic) wording and did a double take.

From this page

"From free flights with British Airways, to free meals in selected Heathrow.." and
"Kids Eat Free with an adult at Heathrow during selected dates...."

GRRRRRRRRR!!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.