Just 20 more TP needed - with a catch

Old Aug 21, 2017, 4:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: Exec Club - Gold Member - yeah baby, Emerald Aisle Executive Elite - Woo, Marriott Silver Executive
Just 20 more TP needed - with a catch

Happy Monday people of Flyertalk.

My 5 year old daughter is 20 TP away from silver status. If I can get her there then 3 of the 5 in the family will have silver status meaning we can all use the lounges for the next year+.

However we don't have any travel planned before her reset date in November. We also live in India so a short out and back from Blighty isn't an option.

I've looked at SriLankan as a possibility but can't find any reference to Tier Points on their site.

How would you get the last 20 TPs needed without flying halfway around the world??
Old Aug 21, 2017, 4:25 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Happy Monday rainmaker.

Sri Lankan do offer TPs and Avios in the usual way, there is a look up table on the BAEC website for earning TPs against UL's fare buckets and one or two short flights may do it, so long as she has the eligible BA flights already sorted. Just ensure the bookings have the BAEC number, and are definitely under UL prime flight numbers and using the right fare buckets. UL are a little slow to credit, it's a once a week job on Wednesdays I think, and it can take 3 weeks for the credit to come through. That doesn't impact BAEC qualification, other than perhaps a slight delay to the update process, since the dates are dated back to the correct membership year.

This basic principle applies to all oneworld airlines, it's a basic building block of the entire system. Have a look at the Stickies at the top of the forum to get more details. Note also there is sometimes benefit in qualifying soon in a new membership year, when Bronze, rather than late into an old membership when Silver. More in the Stickies.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 5:45 am

UL is an excellent option to top off one's TPs.

I've used them twice to get the last 40 TP required to requalify for GGL.

In my defence only one short fall was due to poor planning, the other time it was due to an involuntary reroute that left me a few TP short.

Being based in PNQ, I found connecting through BLR/MAA is a good option, the fares are cheaper than BOM even after accounting for the extra domestic sector and without considering the additional cost of getting from PNQ to BOM.

The TPs posted automatically without any drama, though, as pointed out by CWS, they take a bit of time, 12 days on average for me.

I believe that Mihin Lanka (their low cost arm) has ceased flying, so all flights from/to India should be UL marketed and UL metal, but its wise to check.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 5:49 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
You can use this tool to see the BAEC tier points from all OW and other partner airlines

https://www.britishairways.com/trave...r/public/en_gb
Old Aug 21, 2017, 6:04 am

Others have answered the OP's question, but:

Originally Posted by awarty
In my defence only one short fall was due to poor planning, the other time it was due to an involuntary reroute that left me a few TP short.
I'm guessing from your use of the past tense that this isn't a "live" issue, but were you not able to get Original Routing Credit for your involuntary reroute awarty?
Old Aug 21, 2017, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by squawk
Others have answered the OP's question, but:

I'm guessing from your use of the past tense that this isn't a "live" issue, but were you not able to get Original Routing Credit for your involuntary reroute awarty?
That's correct, it was over 2 years ago

I didn't try very hard to get the ORC as at the time I though I would cross the 3000 TP mark based on planned travel (and I was far enough away from 3500 TP for the lost TPs not to matter).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.