Oversized but within weight baggage

Old Aug 21, 2017, 5:00 am
Original Poster

Oversized but within weight baggage

Hello folks,

I noticed this on the BA website this weekend under "Increasing your checked baggage allowance" on the checked baggage info page:

You can take larger items of up to 190 x 75 x 65cm (75 x 29.5 x 25.5in) for an additional charge. (Currently, we waive this charge so you do not pay it.)
I'm flying MAN->LHR->SFO on Wednesday (and SFO->LHR->MAN in 2 weeks time) and with camping gear, an extra large duffel would do me nicely compared to trying to pack down into a standard sized case.

Does anyone have any experience of this policy recently? I'm more concerned about the return leg from SFO->LHR.

Dave
Old Aug 21, 2017, 5:04 am

Programs: Seigneur des Tarifs Utils First Class Mucci with Honours :) - BA GGL / CCR
I know that the additional weight allowance only applies to Silvers and Golds, but dont know about the size one. I've certainly never been stopped with big bags but it may be dependant on whether SFO is a station with actual BA staff or contracted out.

I have had to point things out like the rule you mention above out to some of the contract staff.

Hopefully someone with a more definitive answer can help you though!
Old Aug 21, 2017, 5:11 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by NandoDave
Hello folks,

I noticed this on the BA website this weekend under "Increasing your checked baggage allowance" on the checked baggage info page:

I'm flying MAN->LHR->SFO on Wednesday (and SFO->LHR->MAN in 2 weeks time) and with camping gear, an extra large duffel would do me nicely compared to trying to pack down into a standard sized case.

Does anyone have any experience of this policy recently? I'm more concerned about the return leg from SFO->LHR.

Dave
I never encountered any problems with oversize packages like Bicycle, Snowboard and the like. Only thing is that you must pick them up from the oversize luggage desk at SFO which is slightly hidden, just before the exit through customs on the left-hand side.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 7:44 am

Programs: Mucci Grandee (Upgraded), BA Silver, AZ MilleMiglia
Originally Posted by Tafflyer
I never encountered any problems with oversize packages like Bicycle, Snowboard and the like. Only thing is that you must pick them up from the oversize luggage desk at SFO which is slightly hidden, just before the exit through customs on the left-hand side.
Likewise. My ski bag, for example, just counts as one piece of checked baggage within my allowance even though it is 180cm-190cm long.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.