Cathay Economy vs BA Economy

Old Aug 20, 2017, 9:22 am
Original Poster

Cathay Economy vs BA Economy

Hello all,

I hope you can help me. I am about to book my first Cathay flight.
I never flew anything else apart from BA (tried all classes including Business and First).
This time I want to stick with a friend who flies in Economy and price conscious.

What I like about BA economy:
*I always upgrade my meal for 15. Meal delivered in proper plates and cutlery, real glass. Delicious food.
-Any similar option on Cathay? I am a fussy eater, do they have western options?

*They are generous with drinks. I always get 2 GnTs without asking and wine with a meal. I have never been refused extra drink if I went to the galley. I also know my limits and never get drunk.
-How would this compare to Cathay?

*There is usually very reasonable airport upgrade options.
-Does Cathay offers good cash upgrade options?

Bonus question: would you recommend Cathay A350 vs BA 787 in economy?

Many thanks for helping me with this!
Old Aug 20, 2017, 9:57 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Originally Posted by frenzie01
Hello all,

I never flew anything else apart from BA (tried all classes including Business and First).
This time I want to stick with a friend who flies in Economy and price conscious.

*I always upgrade my meal for 15. Meal delivered in proper plates and cutlery, real glass. Delicious food.
-Any similar option on Cathay? I am a fussy eater, do they have western options?

No pay-up meal but there is always some Western choice available. F&B is very weak at CX compared to most of its peers - don't expect anything, the ex-UK meals in Y are made in Germany and deep frozen for many months before serving...

*They are generous with drinks. I always get 2 GnTs without asking and wine with a meal. I have never been refused extra drink if I went to the galley. I also know my limits and never get drunk.

You may need to wait for a while as CX = very understaffed; if flying out of LHR, there are many LHR based CX crew who may give you similar 'attitude'/work in similar culture as their BA peers

No.

Both are 3-3-3 but the A350 cabin is (quite a bit) wider than the 787. Also, the A350 has excellent IFE and wi-fi

Old Aug 20, 2017, 10:06 am
Original Poster

Thanks very much for this.

If I need drink refills I would go to the galley. I like to stretch my legs. And also flying out of LGW not LHR.
But again the question is whether they would say no? Some airlines has adopted a one alcoholic bevarage policy, whilst BA remained generous in this aspect.

I am surprised on your answer with regards to food. I was always under the impression that CX food offering is good

With regards to cash upgrades, do they have a bidding system in place? If yes, what would an upgrade go on avarage? (Eco to PremEco)

Thanks again.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 11:31 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
It really depends on the crew. LGW flight is operated by HKG crew, so they are generally pretty easy going - definitely no 'one drink' policy in place here at CX. They will appreciate it if you walk to the galley rather than use the call bell (or better, don't bother them at all - but don't hesitate either if you feel like you have to)

Both London airports are currently not included in the upgrade bid trials so the only way to upgrade would be either to pay the fare difference or to use Asia Miles given the underlying economy ticket is in an eligible fare bucket.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 1:26 pm
Original Poster

You have been the most helpful thank you!
Old Aug 20, 2017, 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by frenzie01
Hello all,

No upgrade option. Food in Y is pretty standard. It's not really any better or worse than BA, and certainly not as bad as the above posts makes out. However, there will be more of it, and mid flight snacks are better.

No different. CX crew will happily keep refilling your drinks all flight long. CX crew are more accustomed to the call bell than most but you can still walk to the galley.
Again contrary to the above poster, they are not understaffed onboard, as that would be against regulations

No, not on London flights (yet). You must purchase a new ticket. CX does seem to like upgrading BA status holders though, if that applies to you.

A350 every time. Due to the cabin width economy on a 787 is VERY tight, and BA's version has their standard economy seat. CX has a brand new design on the A350.

You do know BA doesn't fly the 787 to HKG?

Answers in bold.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 12:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 1010101
Answers in bold.
Thanks for all the answers! Even more helpful.

Flying to Phuket either on CX A350 via HK, or BA 787 via KL.

Another question if you don't mind.
I can't seem to figure out how to book prem eco outbound and eco inbound.
Is there an options for this at all I wonder?

Many thanks!
Old Aug 21, 2017, 1:14 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

BA - it's right there
CX - hahahaha...welcome to (1990s) CX IT...you will need to call them to price a mixed class ticket.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 4:09 am

Programs: TK*G
Hmm I'm not sure if CX provides gin & tonic in economy class...
Old Aug 21, 2017, 4:41 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold
Let me share my experiences on BA and CX. I once was very hesitant of flying CX Y as I am used to BA WT. Earlier this month I had no choice but to do CX343 HKG-LGW and I was very impressed with it.

1. As it is an A350 it felt very fresh and new. Even though I booked in the day of departure, as an OWE I got an exit row all by myself. Doubt this will happen on BA

2. IFE has a lot of content, like much more than BA's highlife entertainment

3. Status really come into play. I was offered a bottle of Evian water and greeted by a CC, addressing by my surname and asked to find her for help etc.

4. I was VERY HAPPY to have first choice on meals. Don't know about breakfast as I was sleeping then. I was served dinner even before SPMLs. Because of this I was able to sleep early. I heard the food is not good (and experiences it first hand) in J but it was actually not bad. For breakfast, just after I woke up a CC walked past collecting trays and asked if I wanted to eat. I just love the proactive service there.

5. They have snacks, which is awesome. They have fruits, peanuts, even noodles. Unlike this British airline who though there is no need for these things

6. LGW arrivals is very fast to go through. No queue by the time I arrived and CX do priority bag tagging very well and bag was in the by as j arrive.d
Old Aug 21, 2017, 5:09 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by cysyuen
3. Status really come into play. I was offered a bottle of Evian water and greeted by a CC, addressing by my surname and asked to find her for help etc.

4. I was VERY HAPPY to have first choice on meals. Don't know about breakfast as I was sleeping then. I was served dinner even before SPMLs. Because of this I was able to sleep early. I heard the food is not good (and experiences it first hand) in J but it was actually not bad. For breakfast, just after I woke up a CC walked past collecting trays and asked if I wanted to eat. I just love the proactive service there.
Personally, I would prefer CX to NOT offer these services to OW EM in full B&W accordance with their training and recently it is increasingly the approach adopted by the crew (/pursers) as can be seen on CX secrets.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 5:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bart simpson
You might be right. If I understand correctly BA provides spirits (Vodka, Gin...etc) in economy whilst CX only offers wine and beer.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 5:48 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold
Originally Posted by G-CIVC
Personally, I would prefer CX to NOT offer these services to OW EM in full B&W accordance with their training and recently it is increasingly the approach adopted by the crew (/pursers) as can be seen on CX secrets.
How come? Not fair to CX DMs?
Old Aug 21, 2017, 6:58 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by cysyuen
Even though I booked in the day of departure, as an OWE I got an exit row all by myself. Doubt this will happen on BA
In fact, with BA's new Theoretical Seating module this happens quite frequently.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 7:35 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by bart simpson
they do if you request
if they say no you just have to insist. It exists.

ive ordered one just to return it after 2 hours

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.