Delta "Sale" to Asia & Australia

Old Jun 22, 2017, 7:13 am
Original Poster

Delta "Sale" to Asia & Australia

I'm sure many of you have seen by now the news that Delta apparently has a sale, ending 7/28/17, on flights to Asia & Australia. I've done a handful of quick searches from my local airports (DAY, DTW, CMH) and haven't found anything that looks like a sale price. When Delta announces a sale general like this (i.e., one that is very short on specifics), what's the best way to find the sale fares?
Old Jun 22, 2017, 7:38 am

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...ml?icid=AsiaFS

Unless you got an email this page has more specifics when you click individual links
Old Jun 22, 2017, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by ProfRB
When Delta announces a sale general like this (i.e., one that is very short on specifics), what's the best way to find the sale fares?
Read the T&Cs for eligible class of service, advance purchase, date range, min/max stay... Try ITA Matrix flex date search with flexible stay duration, and advanced controls/routing codes set to 'DL+' to limit searches to DL-coded flights.

http://matrix.itasoftware.com/

If you find a price/dates/flights combo of interest, enter the travel dates on delta.com to book.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 8:06 am

Programs: Delta-DM, United, Hilton-DM, SPG-PLTM
I think it's FROM Asia and Australia, at least that is what the link kop84 posted takes me to.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 8:18 am

Originally Posted by QDDawg
I think it's FROM Asia and Australia, at least that is what the link kop84 posted takes me to.
That's whats on the DL deals page...OP may have gotten an email offer that I (and many of us) didn't.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 8:19 am

Check that, now I found what OP was looking for

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...S_Asia_Ongoing
Old Jun 22, 2017, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by kop84
Check that, now I found what OP was looking for

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...S_Asia_Ongoing
That is what I found, too.

Note that the offer ends June 28, not 7/28 as referenced by the OP.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I see CMH-PEK from $738 which is a pretty decent price (although it doesn't appear to be part of this fare sale). Note that it has a 90 day advance purchase requirement. Much better deal than any of the "sale" fares out of DTW. Used Google Flights to find the CMH-PEK deal.

FARE CODE - XKG93PMF

DAY/TIME APPLICATION
PERMITTED SUN THROUGH THU ON EACH TRANSPACIFIC SECTOR.

SEASONALITY
PERMITTED 08MAR 17 THROUGH 05MAY 17 OR 24AUG 17 THROUGH 30NOV 17 ON THE OUTBOUND TRANSPACIFIC SECTOR.

MINIMUM STAY
TRAVEL FROM LAST INTERNATIONAL STOPOVER MUST COMMENCE NO EARLIER THAN 3 DAYS AFTER DEPARTURE OF THE FIRST INTERNATIONAL SECTOR.

ADVANCE RESERVATIONS AND TICKETING
RESERVATIONS FOR ALL SECTORS ARE REQUIRED AT LEAST 90 DAYS BEFORE DEPARTURE.

Here's one of the "sale" fares from DTW for DTW-SIN for $1197

FARE CODE - TLX27PMD

DAY/TIME APPLICATION
PERMITTED MON THROUGH THU ON EACH TRANSPACIFIC SECTOR.

SEASONALITY
PERMITTED 04SEP 17 THROUGH 13DEC 17 ON THE OUTBOUND TRANSPACIFIC SECTOR.

ADVANCE RESERVATIONS AND TICKETING
RESERVATIONS FOR ALL SECTORS ARE REQUIRED AT LEAST 21 DAYS BEFORE DEPARTURE.

MINIMUM STAY
TRAVEL FROM LAST INTERNATIONAL STOPOVER MUST COMMENCE NO EARLIER THAN 7 DAYS AFTER DEPARTURE OF THE FIRST INTERNATIONAL SECTOR.

Last edited by xliioper; Jun 22, 2017 at 8:53 am
Old Jun 22, 2017, 11:02 am

Do not forget that many of the TPACs to/from NRT will be using the A350 later in the year. No Comfort+ upgrade possible - because there is no Comfort+ cabin. Small seats in main cabin with no 110V power outlets.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by ProfRB
I'm sure many of you have seen by now the news that Delta apparently has a sale, ending 7/28/17, on flights to Asia & Australia. I've done a handful of quick searches from my local airports (DAY, DTW, CMH) and haven't found anything that looks like a sale price. When Delta announces a sale general like this (i.e., one that is very short on specifics), what's the best way to find the sale fares?

In most cases (maybe 90%), the Delta "sales" are not a bargain, but a way to increase demand on routes that might not be selling as well as expected to buyers who do not know the true price. Many retailers engage in the same practice when the put stuff on "closeout." If they put a sticker on it and put it in the closeout bin, people assume they are getting a bargain, even if its the same price its always been, and product moves. Caveat emptor.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by The Situation
In most cases (maybe 90%), the Delta "sales" are not a bargain, but a way to increase demand on routes that might not be selling as well as expected to buyers who do not know the true price. Many retailers engage in the same practice when the put stuff on "closeout." If they put a sticker on it and put it in the closeout bin, people assume they are getting a bargain, even if its the same price its always been, and product moves. Caveat emptor.
This is great advice and very accurate! I'm surprised that some lawyer hasn't started a class action for these types of campaigns. Can Delta really say fares are on sale when the prices are not lower than before the sale started? Seems deceptive at best.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by dburns
This is great advice and very accurate! I'm surprised that some lawyer hasn't started a class action for these types of campaigns. Can Delta really say fares are on sale when the prices are not lower than before the sale started? Seems deceptive at best.

It would be impossible to prove in a setting with dynamic pricing. I bought my flight for $400, the next guy bought it "on sale" for $600, but the third guy bought it at the last minute for $1000. Its still cheaper than the guy who bought last minute. Where companies get in trouble is when they say its been discounted from x price but they never sold any units at x price. Airlines can say that fares are on sale because they do sell seats at higher prices than the sale prices.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 12:35 pm

I received the email also and spent awhile trying to find said deal within the dates given (taking into account the blackout periods). Not much found, other than the super cheap flights to Beijing which have been available for quite some time.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 1:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
This is very, very shady and deceptive. I wouldn't be surprised if someone could sue Delta for false advertising because Delta does not offer "Delta One" -- its flagship international business-class product -- on flights from Guam and elsewhere in Micronesia, as advertised at: https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...ml?icid=AsiaFS and https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...ml?icid=AsiaFS.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dburns
If you look at the specific cities and fares listed, you will see there are specific fare filings and the fares are discounted compared to other dates. Note you have to be careful to meet all the requirements when checking fares (7/10 day stay, Mon-Thu departure, etc.). I suspect some people don't carefully read the T&C's when checking prices. The question is whether there are also discounted fares from all or some other cities in addition to those listed. I can see how this might be implied, but I don't really see an explicit claim that is true.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.