Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

When do seats open up for free upgrades/aisle seats?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

When do seats open up for free upgrades/aisle seats?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2017, 12:32 pm
Original Poster

Question When do seats open up for free upgrades/aisle seats?

I'm taking an international flight on Delta to Amsterdam and back. When I booked, all that was available were middle seats. Just to get an aisle seat, I have to pay another $69 (and then to get one of the nicer seats with more leg room, it's $129).

All I want is an aisle seat -- do they open up for free at some point when people don't buy them? When? How can I make sure I am first? I don't have any status I can lean on to try to earn upgrades -- this is my first time flying Delta.

I just think paying another $70 on top of an already $1700 itinerary is sort of ridiculous, and I just lost my job yesterday so I'd rather save my money. It's 10 hours though, so comfort is going to matter.

Thanks!

EDIT: My trip is six days away. I'm looking right now and I see 15 Comfort+ seats and 40+ Preferred seats that are aisle or window, but they all cost money. I currently have one of the middle seats in the four-seat middle row. The plane is an Airbus A330.

Months later edit: I got to the airport early and they upgraded me to an aisle seat for free.

Last edited by MiniMuffin; Apr 19, 2018 at 11:41 pm
Old Jun 22, 2017, 1:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
When is your trip and how full is the seat map? If you're seeing open C+ aisle seats, I suspect that you're traveling far in the future.

I think the odds of someone without status getting an aisle seat for free on a full flight is very small, although you can always get lucky at the gate.

Do you currently have a relatively decent nonaisle coach seat such as a window?
Old Jun 22, 2017, 1:50 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Previously top-tier everything, now a happy free agent
You can open a (free) account at Expertflyer.com and plug in your flight and date, and have it notify you via email when an aisle (non-paid) opens up so you don't have to constantly check.

My family has had good luck with this. Condolences for losing your job. Hopefully you will enjoy your time in Amsterdam or wherever you are going regardless.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 1:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by bj27
You can open a (free) account at Expertflyer.com and plug in your flight and date, and have it notify you via email when an aisle (non-paid) opens up so you don't have to constantly check.

My family has had good luck with this. Condolences for losing your job. Hopefully you will enjoy your time in Amsterdam or wherever you are going regardless.
Will EF do this forever for free or just as part of a five day free trail period?
Old Jun 22, 2017, 1:58 pm

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
Originally Posted by MiniMuffin
Just to get an aisle seat, I have to pay another $69 (and then to get one of the nicer seats with more leg room, it's $129).

All I want is an aisle seat -- do they open up for free at some point when people don't buy them? When? How can I make sure I am first?
Is the $69 seat a Preferred Seat? If so, I thought these only went on sale 45 days before departure.

Without knowing the aircraft type, it's hard to determine the relative odds, but you may get lucky with an ExpertFlyer alert or at check-in if you don't want to pay. IME, the free ExpertFlyer would work to notify you of "Any Aisle Seat"
Old Jun 22, 2017, 2:20 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Previously top-tier everything, now a happy free agent
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Will EF do this forever for free or just as part of a five day free trail period?
I will not say "forever" (such words do not exist in our industry ), but the free membership includes seat alerts and viewing seat maps.

Also, you do not need to sign up for the free 5-day trial. This is for premium accounts.

You can just open a free account (without opting into the trial for premium) to do seat alerts/maps.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 2:44 pm

Programs: DL DM
I'm taking an international flight on Delta to Amsterdam and back. When I booked, all that was available were middle seats. Just to get an aisle seat, I have to pay another $69 (and then to get one of the nicer seats with more leg room, it's $129).

All I want is an aisle seat -- do they open up for free at some point when people don't buy them? When? How can I make sure I am first? I don't have any status I can lean on to try to earn upgrades -- this is my first time flying Delta.

I just think paying another $70 on top of an already $1700 itinerary is sort of ridiculous, and I just lost my job yesterday so I'd rather save my money. It's 10 hours though, so comfort is going to matter.

Thanks!
Seat selection will get progressively worse (not usually better). Comfort Plus seats rarely open up once they are all assigned. I have booked 90 days out, and not gotten C+ seats open up and watched continuously for those 90 days and never see anything open up. I would grab the best you can now, while you will have options. With no status, you will not get any special seating for free.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 2:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
When is your trip and how full is the seat map? If you're seeing open C+ aisle seats, I suspect that you're traveling far in the future.

I think the odds of someone without status getting an aisle seat for free on a full flight is very small, although you can always get lucky at the gate.

Do you currently have a relatively decent nonaisle coach seat such as a window?
No, my trip is six days away. I'm looking right now and I see 15 Comfort+ seats and 40+ Preferred seats that are aisle or window. I currently have one of the middle seats in the four-seat middle row. The plane is an Airbus A330, if that helps.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 2:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyerWx
Is the $69 seat a Preferred Seat? If so, I thought these only went on sale 45 days before departure.

Without knowing the aircraft type, it's hard to determine the relative odds, but you may get lucky with an ExpertFlyer alert or at check-in if you don't want to pay. IME, the free ExpertFlyer would work to notify you of "Any Aisle Seat"
Yes, my flight is six days away! I booked the flight in May, so less than 45 days before the departure date. See my response above, there are many Preferred seats and many Comfort+ seats available, but they all cost money. This plane is an Airbus A330.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 3:07 pm

Programs: Delta-DM, United, Hilton-DM, SPG-PLTM
They will wait to sell them,

if you really want one I would pony up and pay the fee.

otherwise since you are already assigned a seat they may end up "giving" these to basic economy, non-revs, etc. before trying to re-seat you from a currently assigned seat.

you could also call Delta and see if you get a kind agent who will move you at no cost to at least a window or aisle based on the fare that you paid.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 3:09 pm

You might be able to get one for free at check in, or you can ask nicely at the gate. If there are that many seats available then it shouldn't be too bad, but I'd definitely get to the gate earlier than you'd normally as nearly everyone in a middle seat will be asking for the same thing
Old Jun 22, 2017, 7:51 pm
Original Poster

The plane looks pretty empty, so maybe not all the aisle seats will be taken and I can just move. This isn't like Amtrak's Pacific Northwest train where they get mad if you sit in an empty seat, right? Haha

Update: They upgraded me for free when I asked at the gate

Last edited by MiniMuffin; Oct 12, 2018 at 6:47 pm
Old Jun 22, 2017, 8:06 pm

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
The plane looks pretty empty, so maybe not all the aisle seats will be taken and I can just move. This isn't like Amtrak's Pacific Northwest train where they get mad if you sit in an empty seat, right? Haha
You should be able to move to an empty seat as long as it's not C+. If the seat next to you is empty, I think that'd be the best.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.