Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Clear/Delta

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2017, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by ruckzac
You must fly at off-peak times. When I would fly out of ATL Monday mornings, the PreCheck snaked all over the atrium. The line moved fairly quickly, but nonetheless took at least 10 minutes, sometimes more.

Sure PreCheck might be as fast as CLEAR sometimes, but CLEAR is reliably fast (I've never encountered a line).

Another benefit is that you don't need your ID. Of course, I wouldn't recommend traveling without an ID, but if for whatever reason you misplaced your ID or forgot your wallet, you wouldn't have to wait for TSA to validate your ID manually (which can easily take 30-45 minutes and cause someone to miss their flight).

For the record, I didn't see the benefit of CLEAR until they added it to Atlanta.
All of this. I signed up for CLEAR the day after they opened at ATL and it has been well worth my $79/year. Mrs. Lee also pays $99/year which is far more expensive per trip for her, but it's peace of mind and me not having to wait for her on the other side.

Though on Monday mornings at ATL, I've been in a line even in CLEAR before. However, I spent maybe a total of 5 mins in that line, vs. what looked like a 15-20 min line in Precheck. The biggest slowdown at ATL currently are those stupid new automated bin lines...

Yes, the difference is sometimes only 10-15 mins. But for early morning flights that's 10-15 more mins of sleep, combined with however many flights in a week/month/year...it starts to add up. In places like IAD it can cut a 20-30 min wait down to zero sometimes, and I've bypassed amusement park-level lines at MCO and LAS before.

Another related thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trus...-179-year.html
Old Jun 27, 2017, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by Ryno1234
Since Diamonds get it for free, i am a little skewed in my opinion: I love it -------

It is always the shortest line since it will take you directly to the front of the pre check line which is cool. It also allows you to not show an ID, which can save about 2 seconds fiddling with a wallet or passport.
Originally Posted by Renes Points
If they ever remove the free one for Diamonds I will pay it GLADLY each year. It is beyond worth it to me!
Yep ^
Old Jun 27, 2017, 3:11 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM
One unique benefit: I once left my wallet in pants that I then packed into my luggage... and then checked my luggage! With Clear I was able to get through security without a picture ID. I couldn't buy so much as a water until I got home, but it was worth it!
Old Jun 27, 2017, 4:34 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
You must fly at off-peak times. When I would fly out of ATL Monday mornings, the PreCheck snaked all over the atrium. The line moved fairly quickly, but nonetheless took at least 10 minutes, sometimes more.

Sure PreCheck might be as fast as CLEAR sometimes, but CLEAR is reliably fast (I've never encountered a line).

Another benefit is that you don't need your ID. Of course, I wouldn't recommend traveling without an ID, but if for whatever reason you misplaced your ID or forgot your wallet, you wouldn't have to wait for TSA to validate your ID manually (which can easily take 30-45 minutes and cause someone to miss their flight).

For the record, I didn't see the benefit of CLEAR until they added it to Atlanta.
Definitely off-peak or similar. I've seen the line at all kinds of times quite long and snaking all over the place in ATL.

And yes. I knew of CLEAR and wanted it but didn't do it until home airport have it. Now use it all the time and love it.

Originally Posted by gooselee
All of this. I signed up for CLEAR the day after they opened at ATL and it has been well worth my $79/year. Mrs. Lee also pays $99/year which is far more expensive per trip for her, but it's peace of mind and me not having to wait for her on the other side.

Though on Monday mornings at ATL, I've been in a line even in CLEAR before. However, I spent maybe a total of 5 mins in that line, vs. what looked like a 15-20 min line in Precheck. The biggest slowdown at ATL currently are those stupid new automated bin lines...

Yes, the difference is sometimes only 10-15 mins. But for early morning flights that's 10-15 more mins of sleep, combined with however many flights in a week/month/year...it starts to add up. In places like IAD it can cut a 20-30 min wait down to zero sometimes, and I've bypassed amusement park-level lines at MCO and LAS before.

Another related thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trus...-179-year.html
Those bins/automated system is just a steamy doodoo
Old Jun 27, 2017, 4:41 pm

Programs: DL PM 1.5 MM , Hilton Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Plat
I get it for free. Based on my home base and the places I normally fly, I would not pay for it. 
Old Jun 27, 2017, 4:47 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Plat Pro, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic 3, Amtrak Select
I think it depends on where you fly from. I've got it because it's at LGA and it's been a life saver - I've had two incidents in the past 2 weeks where there were 50+ people on the precheck line at LGA and I was running late to my flight... was able to cut the line and get to the gate w/o any issue. Very worth it for me

If LGA didn't have clear, I'd struggle to find value, even at the PM discount rate.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 5:29 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
Originally Posted by Renes Points
If they ever remove the free one for Diamonds I will pay it GLADLY each year. It is beyond worth it to me!
+100, especially at LGA
Old Jun 27, 2017, 5:39 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Previously top-tier everything, now a happy free agent
Don't you think that the value proposition of CLEAR goes down as more users get it, though?

That is what happened with TSA Precheck. Would it not be different this time around?
Old Jun 27, 2017, 5:52 pm

Programs: AA - PLT(2MM); DL - PM(2MM); Hilton - Gold; Marriott Bonvoy- Titanium; Hyatt - Platinum
Since none of my home airports offer it, I'm not sure I'll renew when my free year as a Diamond expires. And even though my alternate "home" airport, DFW, has it, their current location is not directly associated with the Pre Check line. So, it only puts you in front of the regular line where, of course, you have to do the "TSA mombo." Now, this might be a temporary placement due to the construction going on at Terminal E.

However, I have enjoyed using it recently at LGA, MIA, and DTW. Definitely an advantage at LGA!
Old Jun 27, 2017, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by bj27
Don't you think that the value proposition of CLEAR goes down as more users get it, though?

That is what happened with TSA Precheck. Would it not be different this time around?
Thing is that Clear is at more airports now that Delta offered it for free and I bet they are getting a kickback from Delta. As soon as Delta started giving it as a diamond benefit locations appeared at all the Delta hubs, before that the only location that had it that I used was LAS.

I don't think Precheck would be bad at all if they limited it to those with a TTN. I've never seen a line at Clear, usually the people I see at DTW talking to the Clear rep are clueless flyers that received precheck for the first time thinking it's the pre line.

I'm sure if the clear lines start getting too congested they will make changes to the free clear like the skyclubs did when they were having trouble with overcrowding and stopped allowing Am Ex people to guest in others.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 6:47 pm
Original Member

Programs: DL 3 MM/DM, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, National Exec Elite
I think $79 for it is very reasonable. Not having to fish out the license from the wallet appeals to me.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 7:12 pm

Location: San Francisco, CA & Bangkok (Home)/Lawrenceville & Switzerland (Boarding School)/Baltimore, MD (College)
Programs: DL DM, AL MVPG 75K, SQ Gold, BA Silver, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Plat, Hertz Pres Circle
I love it. Get it for free but turned my mom onto it. She paid. I fly out of SFO/BWI/JFK the most and all have it now. Cutting the line is great, but what really makes it worth it to me.... not having to take my ID out for TSA. That alone is worth whatever they charge!
Old Jun 27, 2017, 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by dinanm3atl
Those bins/automated system is just a steamy doodoo
The biggest slowdown at ATL currently are those stupid new automated bin lines...
The new bin system is a little O/T, but since it was mentioned...

The new system certainly isn't as efficient as it could and should be (at least as compared to the similar systems used in European airports like AMS and LHR), but I don't think it's any worse than the traditional system.

The main problems I've noticed that should be remedied:
  • The screeners stop the entire conveyor too frequently and for too long in order to carefully inspect the x-ray images, creating a bottleneck for bags entering the queue; the conveyor should run nearly continuously with any questionable bags being sent to secondary screening without hesitation.
  • Too many bags are lazily sent through the x-ray again for re-screening, worsening a bottleneck for bags entering the x-ray machine; in the European systems I've seen, a dedicated secondary screener reviews the original x-ray on a separate monitor and then hand-inspects bags as necessary
  • When a bottleneck for bags entering the x-ray machine occurs, passengers must wait to push their bins forward until the space in front of them clears. Passengers with multiple bins therefore often have their bins separated in the x-ray queue by many other bins, creating a backlog in the retrieval queue.
  • Compounding the above retrieval issue, empty bins are not efficiently removed from the queue; sometimes the backlog can actually stop the conveyor since there is no space to advance bags. The retrieval space should be longer and/or should have a secondary track (like there is for loading bags) so that passengers can easily push forward bins to be recycled as they are emptied out of sequence.

</end operations rant>
Old Jun 27, 2017, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Mrs. Lee also pays $99/year
Shortly after posting this I was reading something else and realized that CLEAR has a family plan where you can add on family members for only $50/year.

Five minutes later I had completed online chat with CLEAR, Mrs. Lee had been tacked on to my plan, and they are processing a $49 refund to her credit card.

I will say that CLEAR's customer service on multiple occasions has been very, very good. They have competent people who actually seem empowered and interested in helping and retaining customers.

Yes, but for me, the value proposition is still there as of today.

Also, albeit slowly, CLEAR seems to actively attempt to expand to scale. I know the last growth was due to the DL partnership, but even in their roll out at ATL, they kept adding kiosks and staff as the numbers ramped up. Pre has grown a little bit, but not in the same way.

At least in perception, it feels like the CLEAR people are acknowledging and attempting to address growth in ways that TSA doesn't for the rapid expansion of Pre.

The new system certainly isn't as efficient as it could and should be (at least as compared to the similar systems used in European airports like AMS and LHR), but I don't think it's any worse than the traditional system.

The main problems I've noticed that should be remedied:...
I agree with all of this. I'd add to your list the fact that when a bag is shunted to secondary, there is a SINGLE TSA officer doing the secondary screening and he/she only handles one bin at a time. Old line, I get flagged for secondary and someone takes my bag within a minute or so, we walk to an open table and do our thing. First time through the new line, we got flagged for secondary (still no idea why, we had packed the same stuff we always do), and proceeded to stand around for over 20 minutes until it was our turn to have our stuff inspected. Had we been cutting it close at all, we'd have missed our flight.

In principle/design, the new system should be as good or better than the old one. But TSA has flopped so hard in execution that in reality it operates substantially slower than the old system. Compound that with the facts that 1) it's not the norm, 2) it relies heavily on "correct" user behavior, and 3) dazed and confused travelers are being shunted to Pre, and you have a recipe for one giant hot mess.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 10:42 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M

As it is no more than a line jumping option. it fails completely as significantly more sign up.

Consider the limit case, everybody has Clear. Now you have paid for nothing.

Somewhere before that though the line jumping advantage starts to erode. If one clear line and 3 Pre lines, then once 1/4 have signed up it is near useless.

There are only so many they can get through the scanners per hour. Clear can not change that. It can only put you ahead of others in line.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.