Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Clear/Delta

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2017, 10:48 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by ruckzac
You must fly at off-peak times. When I would fly out of ATL Monday mornings, the PreCheck snaked all over the atrium. The line moved fairly quickly, but nonetheless took at least 10 minutes, sometimes more.
The Atrium?? Precheck is in either North or South.

Monday morning is bad though. I avoid it at all costs. On other times I have never spent more than a few minutes prior to the scanner lines.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 11:13 pm

Originally Posted by exwannabe
The Atrium?? Precheck is in either North or South.

Monday morning is bad though. I avoid it at all costs. On other times I have never spent more than a few minutes prior to the scanner lines.
I have no idea what the north side's PreCheck looks like, but on Monday mornings, the mouth of the PreCheck line starts on the south side but is actually rerouted through the atrium between the north and south sides. The photo below shows what I am referring to as the atrium.

Old Jun 28, 2017, 12:16 am

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
I have no idea what the north side's PreCheck looks like, but on Monday mornings, the mouth of the PreCheck line starts on the south side but is actually rerouted through the atrium between the north and south sides. The photo below shows what I am referring to as the atrium.
Wow. Now I remember why I do not fly Monday morning :-)
Old Jun 28, 2017, 12:45 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, WN A-List Preferred, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz President's Circle
As a GM based in ATL, I've found Clear well-worth the discounted price and would gladly pay it again next year. On the other hand, it's pretty useless in LAS because there is never a line at Pre. Adding it at LAX will be helpful; wish PHL and CLT would follow.
And I concur about those ridiculous automated bins in Pre at ATL. It's literally doubled the time it used to take to get through that line.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 6:07 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by uppereastsider
I think it depends on where you fly from. I've got it because it's at LGA and it's been a life saver - I've had two incidents in the past 2 weeks where there were 50+ people on the precheck line at LGA and I was running late to my flight... was able to cut the line and get to the gate w/o any issue. Very worth it for me

If LGA didn't have clear, I'd struggle to find value, even at the PM discount rate.
Was in LGA last week. Clear got me through in 2 minutes. Took my boss almost 20 minutes in the long pre check line.
Got it for $75 as PM and been well worth it at several airports.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 6:35 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Gold
I don't know if I'm typical, but I don't use Clear if the Pre Line is 2-3 people. I suppose I could jump ahead of them, but I don't really see the point. I'll reiterate the sentiments of a lot of people here: normally it's nice to have but not essential, and once or twice it's really saved my bacon. Seems like a good $99/year insurance policy, so I'll probably keep it if I drop from Diamond.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 7:35 am

Programs: DL DM, GOES
This Sunday 7am @ ATL, loads of leisure pax - my associate has to go "standard" TSA lines, I use Clear. Took him about 30 min, me under 1 min.

Was my fastest Clear ever, actually, as my biometrics scanned in one take, and there was a spot open in the first position at the bag bin machine (piece o' poo that it is). So I barely slowed down from arriving at Clear kiosk to through the magnetometer. Almost felt like the "old days".

Would I pay for it? Probably not. But I'm not a segment warrior, either. If I were, probably would.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
A little bit OT but why do they have clear kiosks at the non-pre kiosks also? Are there people who pay for clear and not precheck???? Precheck is a lot cheaper than Clear and I'd think people would be a lot more likely to spend the money for precheck than they would have clear since precheck is a lot bigger time saver.

Or are those kiosks used for the random times when someone with paid precheck might not get it? I could see it being a HUGE timesaver at an airport like DTW if for some reason I didn't get PRE
Old Jun 28, 2017, 10:49 am

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by EditingFX
This Sunday 7am @ ATL, loads of leisure pax - my associate has to go "standard" TSA lines, I use Clear. Took him about 30 min, me under 1 min.

Was my fastest Clear ever, actually, as my biometrics scanned in one take, and there was a spot open in the first position at the bag bin machine (piece o' poo that it is). So I barely slowed down from arriving at Clear kiosk to through the magnetometer. Almost felt like the "old days".

Would I pay for it? Probably not. But I'm not a segment warrior, either. If I were, probably would.
Same just happened to me just now. 1230pm at ATL. Pre-Check line was ~100 people. Clear I went directly to kiosk, scan and directly to bin. Total time ~2-3min.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by jamesteroh
A little bit OT but why do they have clear kiosks at the non-pre kiosks also? Are there people who pay for clear and not precheck???? Precheck is a lot cheaper than Clear and I'd think people would be a lot more likely to spend the money for precheck than they would have clear since precheck is a lot bigger time saver.

Or are those kiosks used for the random times when someone with paid precheck might not get it? I could see it being a HUGE timesaver at an airport like DTW if for some reason I didn't get PRE

This bolded part. How ticked would you be if you paid for CLEAR but had to wait in a 45 minute long security line because you randomly got excluded from PreCheck?

That said, I could imagine that there's a small subset of people who would pay for CLEAR but not PreCheck.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
This bolded part. How ticked would you be if you paid for CLEAR but had to wait in a 45 minute long security line because you randomly got excluded from PreCheck?

That said, I could imagine that there's a small subset of people who would pay for CLEAR but not PreCheck.
There are potentially also people who pay for CLEAR but for whatever reason are not eligible for PreCheck. Could even just be that they're flying an airline that day that doesn't participate in Pre.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,

Makes sense, but weird they have the same number of kiosks at both precheck and regular (at DTW anyway), seems like they would only need one kiosk since I never see anyone using the regular clear kiosks at DTW.

Something else that I didn't think of when I originally posted that question is there could be diamonds that aren't willing to pay for precheck (although as much flying as a diamond does I don't know why since it is money well spent) who will use clear since it's free to them.

Now if they had Clear at the lower level of DTW I may be willing to just go through the regular lane instead of going upstairs to use Pre. It probably would be faster.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 2:29 pm

Programs: DL exDM MM
I have been a CLEAR member since it first started 10+ years ago. Was bummed out when they folded in 2009. Ecstatic when they came back in 2010.

When TSA PreCheck started I wondered if I would keep it. Then Random Inclusion lengthened the PC lines and the CLEAR lanes were moved next to PC.

Flying out of MCO I routinely jump in front of 10 to 15 passengers waiting for PC.

I paid for it for several years before membership became a DM benefit. If Delta dropped it I would pay for it again.

CLEAR eliminates the uncertainty about how long security will take. Worth every penny.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 3:43 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
I just got another email from Clear and can gift someone a 90 day free trial. First one to PM me with their email gets it. You have to give them a CC for "Automatic Renewal" after 90 days but you can cancel before it renews, oR if you have DL Status, call them for your discounted rate.

If you're not certain, its an opportunity to try it.

Last edited by SuperG1955; Jun 28, 2017 at 6:39 pm Reason: SPELLING
Old Jun 28, 2017, 3:51 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
Others have touched on this but I want to highlight it: it can be a lifesaver if you are flying out of an airport with bad security lines and precheck-free carriers. I fly foreign airlines out of IAD a lot, and Clear allows you to go through a special line upstairs next to the precheck line, avoiding the downstairs chaos that includes all of the other non-precheck lines.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.