Search

Clear/Delta

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2017, 12:04 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
Clear/Delta

Does anyone have Clear? I know you get better pricing with DL but I used to always say they are worthless (Clear). Now I wonder if with ATL pre check ID lines only growing if its worth it?

Thoughts?
Old Jun 27, 2017, 12:06 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
I think it is worth it. Use it a lot and love it.

The morning after the meltdown a few months ago I spent ~5min in security. The lines were hour plus at ATL.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 12:06 pm

I personally wouldn't waste your money
Old Jun 27, 2017, 12:22 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
If you're the type who likes to cut your time at the airport close, it's a lifesaver. On at least one occasion, Clear has made the difference when I was running horribly late due to traffic and an overpacked schedule.

The time savings are usually on the order of five to ten minutes, though, so it's not consistently valuable. If you usually allow plenty of time, I don't think it's worth the list price - possibly still worthwhile at the deeply discounted Delta elite status rates though.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 12:29 pm

Programs: DA Diamond(1 MM), Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador/Charter Ambassador, Hyatt Glob, Hertz Presidents Circle
Since Diamonds get it for free, i am a little skewed in my opinion: i love it at LGA now that it is up and running. I travel to LAX a lot and will find it useful there too. However, a lot of my time is spent at airports that don't really have it.

It is always the shortest line since it will take you directly to the front of the pre check line which is cool. It also allows you to not show an ID, which can save about 2 seconds fiddling with a wallet or passport.

Just not sure if I would pay for it. But i do like it.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 12:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by theanswriz42
I personally wouldn't waste your money
If they ever remove the free one for Diamonds I will pay it GLADLY each year. It is beyond worth it to me!
Old Jun 27, 2017, 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by Renes Points
If they ever remove the free one for Diamonds I will pay it GLADLY each year. It is beyond worth it to me!
To each his own. ATL is my home base and I've never spent more than 5 minutes going through the pre-check line. SFO can sometimes suck, but 90% of the time at airports around the country, I've been able to basically walk through security. There's probably no right or wrong, but I've personally never seen a value in it.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 12:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by vincentharris
Does anyone have Clear? I know you get better pricing with DL but I used to always say they are worthless (Clear). Now I wonder if with ATL pre check ID lines only growing if its worth it?

Thoughts?
Delta will provide CLEAR's biometric service to its US Diamond Medallion members free
Old Jun 27, 2017, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I only have it because its free... and have used it a total of 2 times. Once in LAS back in Jan on DL, and once recently in BWI when flying on Southwest.

Am based on BOS which doesn't have it (and Pre lines aren't long anyway), and haven't flown from anywhere else that had it and saved any time.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 1:38 pm

Programs: Blinged Out
I've used it at AUS and DTW- Was complimentary with DM status. I don't know if I would pay list price for it, but it has shaved 3-7 mins off the usual Pre routine.

Given that Southwest seems to put Pre on everyones' boarding passes these days, skipping in front of them saves a little bit of time.

I cut it close, too, so five minutes saved is worth something. As always, YMMV
Old Jun 27, 2017, 1:53 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Previously top-tier everything, now a happy free agent
I have it free via Diamond status... and I may pay for it next year if I drop below DM.

It has saved my butt a few times whilst being on the road every week.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 1:55 pm

Location: SEA, or BOS, or MUC, or other places (probably connecting). "Detroit, Michigan is in the Eastern time zone."
Programs: DL PM/1MM, AS 100K, NEXUS/GE, CLEAR, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Gold
As with Ryno1234, it's definitely worth the low low price of free for DMs.

I get more use out of it than Ryno because I fly out of SEA, where it's made a bunch of difference...though I suspect if I fell back to PM or lower I wouldn't be flying enough to care to pay $80/year to keep it. *shrug*

(I really want them to get it in BOS, which is the airport I visit most often that doesn't have it now that MSP and DTW both do.)
Old Jun 27, 2017, 2:14 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by Renes Points
Same here. I love it - less than 10 minutes from parking my car to the train in ATL. I've since added my family which has been great for our pretty regular flights to/from MCO.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
I never fly out of ATL but love it out of DTW but if they eliminated the free membership for Diamonds I don't think I'd pay for it.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by theanswriz42
To each his own. ATL is my home base and I've never spent more than 5 minutes going through the pre-check line. SFO can sometimes suck, but 90% of the time at airports around the country, I've been able to basically walk through security. There's probably no right or wrong, but I've personally never seen a value in it.
You must fly at off-peak times. When I would fly out of ATL Monday mornings, the PreCheck snaked all over the atrium. The line moved fairly quickly, but nonetheless took at least 10 minutes, sometimes more.

Sure PreCheck might be as fast as CLEAR sometimes, but CLEAR is reliably fast (I've never encountered a line).

Another benefit is that you don't need your ID. Of course, I wouldn't recommend traveling without an ID, but if for whatever reason you misplaced your ID or forgot your wallet, you wouldn't have to wait for TSA to validate your ID manually (which can easily take 30-45 minutes and cause someone to miss their flight).

For the record, I didn't see the benefit of CLEAR until they added it to Atlanta.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.