No complimentary upgrade SEA-JFK???

Old Aug 20, 2017, 10:25 pm
Original Poster

No complimentary upgrade SEA-JFK???

So I've decided to take a vacation next month, currently Gold Medallion.

Was looking at some flights SEA-JFK, they now have lie-flat seats! But on the Delta website it looks like no seats are eligible for complimentary upgrades???

I checked the first-class complimentary upgrade and there is no special case for SEA-JFK routing, so ... is going on?

I also confirm that this flight first class is being marketed as "first class" and not "delta one". And I'm not booking basic economy.

Are there special unpublished upgrade eligibility rules for SEA-JFK???

Last edited by Rommie2k6; Aug 20, 2017 at 10:38 pm
Old Aug 20, 2017, 10:33 pm
Original Poster

This is what I mean:
Attached Images  
Old Aug 20, 2017, 10:36 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Hilton Diamond, National EE, Marriott PE, AmEx Plat
Yep, I'm on that leg in a month. I actually posted about it a couple of weeks ago.

Medallion upgrade is not available seemingly due to D1 equipment (though serviced as F). But you can use your RUC (I'm currently waitlisted, but there are only two D1 seats available so I probably won't get it... ).
Old Aug 20, 2017, 10:39 pm
Original Poster

I don't have RUC, only Gold. This is very disappointing. Regardless of what kind of equipment they have, the flight segment is still being sold as "first class", and should be complimentary upgrade eligible!!!
Old Aug 20, 2017, 10:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Common issue, but it IS upgrade eligible. What's happening is the flight number is using the Business Class fare codes (J/D/I/Z) but once you book the system should show you as UG eligible, though unless it's a Saturday, the route will be a tough upgrade.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 10:48 pm
Original Poster

I did a search and this "glitch" has been around since 2015. Still no fix until today... lol. Is there anyway to tell if it is a glitch? I'm concerned because this is a marketed FC but with D1 equipment.

Cause I'm not booking, if I'm not at least going to be waitlisted for an upgrade.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 11:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
You can always book and use the risk-free 24 cancellation if it doesn't show up (unless you're using some kind of cert like an AmEx companion cert that you can't get back even with the 24 hour cancellation). Or you can always call Delta and verify upgrade eligibility over the phone before booking.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 2:25 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
1. The flight is upgrade eligible
2. Don't count on getting an upgrade, let the upgrade surprise you
Old Aug 21, 2017, 6:44 am

I'm flying DL0485 JFK-SEA tomorrow as a PM, #3/12 in line for FC. It's upgrade eligible.
Similar to you I saw that it was "not upgrade eligible at booking" but after I made the booking I was added to both waitlists.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 10:40 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the data points guys. Went ahead to book, and I've submitted for complimentary upgrade on that segment.

Wow... this glitch dates back to 2015.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 10:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Rommie2k6
Thanks for the data points guys. Went ahead to book, and I've submitted for complimentary upgrade on that segment.

Wow... this glitch dates back to 2015.
As a GM i really would count on being in Y. The lay flats can sell out on this route, leaving no upgrades even for DM.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 10:27 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
I missed an UG on this route as a PM in 2015, even though I had RUCs to use; I ended up #2 for 0 F seats on the 757 with 16 lie flats.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 6:40 am

Originally Posted by simchi
I'm flying DL0485 JFK-SEA tomorrow as a PM, #3/12 in line for FC. It's upgrade eligible.
Similar to you I saw that it was "not upgrade eligible at booking" but after I made the booking I was added to both waitlists.
Update: Got the upgrade to FC as 5 of 19 as a PM. (no RUC used)
10 of 21 seats were available for upgrade on a Tuesday 7:30AM departure.
I deliberately booked the 767 for better odds, and looks like it paid out today.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 11:24 am

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador; Hyatt Globalist; AA EXP; UA 1K
It's my understanding that any flight marketed as domestic F rather than D1 is complimentary upgrade eligible.
Flew LAX-ATL on D1 equipment couple of times and never had problems to waitlist (although chances were scarce).
Old Aug 22, 2017, 11:54 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Yea, my JFK-LAS-JFK flights in a couple of months were showing as not eligible for UPG, but after booking it is showing as requested and looks to be fine.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.