Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Captain announces "we're going to fly this plane like we stole it"

Old Sep 21, 2017, 10:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, LH Senator *Gold, AA EXP OWE Hyatt Globalist

Funniest non-WN in flight announcement in years as tonight's ATL-SNA captain promises to try to make up time after a 20 minute departure delay.
dgreen12, susanc, kthomas and 5 others like this.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 11:18 pm

Programs: DL DM MM; Hilton Diamond; Hertz 5*
I've had that captain. He's a young guy and has several other funny lines to de-escalate tensions when they are running behind.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 2:17 am

Programs: No more shiny cards -- former LH SEN, SPG Platinum, Flying Blue Platinum, BA Silver
Clearly he put his foot down and it worked.

It's precisely how one should drive any throughbred sports car -- "drive it like you've nicked it"
Old Sep 22, 2017, 2:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

I like his style!
Old Sep 22, 2017, 3:15 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
I've run into some other well-humored crews with DL (one time during the safety brief: "In the event that this plane decides to turn into a cruise ship..."), but this is a pretty darned good one.

Considering that my first experience with DL was a mild FUBAR, I'm glad I've stuck with them (even if opting to park my miles "next door" at VS).
Old Sep 22, 2017, 4:30 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, FB Plat
Most of the domestic DL crew are pretty good humoured in my experience.

Last year when I got a first upgrade, I ordered two bloody mary's during the flight. Apparently the guy attending first thought I was on a nice binge and quietly made me another.

I tried to refuse, got a way overdramatic and VERY sad puppy-dog eyed face with a 'But I made it especially for you' comment. Annnd, there goes #3 down the hatch. Couldn't refuse after that.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 4:55 am

Programs: Delta
After a long delay due to lav issues, we had an announcement from the Capt that it was time to sh!t or get off the pot, and we departed.

Only obscenity I've heard via PA - but it was timely and got a big laugh
Old Sep 22, 2017, 5:27 am

Actually on that route for the evening flight, Delta is pushing him to do that. If they can't get into SNA on time it gets costly quick. A little jet fuel is cheaper then landing in another airport, bussing passengers to SNA, taking an empty plane off the next morning to fly to SNA and being behind all day.....

I was once 30th in line for take off on that route and suddenly we were moved in front of all the other Delta planes waiting in line
Old Sep 22, 2017, 5:58 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond
I may have had that captain before because I swear I have heard that line before from the cockpit when we were really delayed. There was another time when I was on just a runofthemill commuter flight to LGA out of RIC and they hustled us on the plane and in the boarding process the FA come on the speakers to say that they had just been notified that the plane was needed as soon as possible at LaGuardia and hence we were on the plane and they vamoose, not a second of waiting for air clearance (normally you sit for at LEAST 10 min waiting LGA to allow them to proceed). It was the fastest flight to NYC that I had ever had from any of the Virginia airports.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 6:26 am

Programs: DL PM, Natl-Exec Elite, Hertz-President Circle, Marriot/Starwood-Gold, HHonors-Gold
Once had one who must have been an ex-fighter pilot say "We've kicked the tires, now its time to light the fires and get the heck out of here. So sit back and enjoy the flight, its going to be a quick one"
Old Sep 22, 2017, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by Wunk
Most of the domestic DL crew are pretty good humoured in my experience.

Last year when I got a first upgrade, I ordered two bloody mary's during the flight. Apparently the guy attending first thought I was on a nice binge and quietly made me another.

I tried to refuse, got a way overdramatic and VERY sad puppy-dog eyed face with a 'But I made it especially for you' comment. Annnd, there goes #3 down the hatch. Couldn't refuse after that.

This is one of the things that keeps me on Delta, is a couple times a year, an FA does some thing minor like this that really makes you feel appreciated and special. Its the little things in life that matter. But 3 bloody Mary's - that's a lot of sodium A few years ago the guy next to me ordered a second one and the FA encouraged him to switch to Woodford because its healthier.

I had a pilot make a similar comment many years ago. Went gate to gate in an MD-88 ATL-PVD in 1:20^^ One of the best flights ever!!
Old Sep 22, 2017, 11:15 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by The Situation
This is one of the things that keeps me on Delta, is a couple times a year, an FA does some thing minor like this that really makes you feel appreciated and special. Its the little things in life that matter.
^ Totally agree
Old Sep 22, 2017, 12:19 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Caesars Diamond, K Fund
I've had this exact phrase said on a DL flight before, may of been the same Captain. Thought it was funny, we ended up arriving on 10 minutes late after a 45 minute delay.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 12:23 pm

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by DCFinanceinFlight
I've had this exact phrase said on a DL flight before, may of been the same Captain.
I doubt it, I've heard this same quote numerous times on different airlines.

Must be in like a Pilot Jokes 101 book or something.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 12:26 pm

Programs: UA Gold, DL DM, UA 1K, MR PP
As much as I like when crews add humor into their routine, the whole "we will fly extra fast to make up time" line is getting old.

There's very little the pilot can do to fly faster, or make up time. Most of the time recovered is simply schedule buffer so that one delayed flight doesn't cause dozens throughout the day, and affect monthly reporting statistics.

Not trying to be a downer on a fun thread, just venting after recent delays and hearing the same talking point every time...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.