Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Centric Fisherman's Wharf - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Jul 4, 2001, 3:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA,HP,MP,DL,SPG, MR

Hi: I have a reservation at the Hyatt at Fisherman's Wharf for a trip in August with my 12 year old granddaughter. However I am paying a high price. Anyone know how or where to get real discounts for this hotel? Any info appreciated. Also trying Sheraton.
Old Jul 9, 2001, 9:09 am

Programs: UA Gold Million Miler, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
That hotel has a really inflated sense of self. How about Hyatt Embarcadero - atrium style and not far from the wharf? It is more apt to offer discounts. It is now called the Hyatt Regency San Francisco. Check out Hyatt's website, click on Specials, then Senior Discounts (age 62 plus). Huge bargains, however. The Embarcadero is $159 and that may be the best you get since they claim it is 50% off. You are at the end of Market Street, across from One Market Restaurant (highly recommended) and walking distance to shopping, etc. The bus down Market connects to the cable cars. You will want to visit Fisherman's Wharf but there is certainly no compelling reason to stay there. Be sure to check out the area around the modern art museum, also just off Market. For a thrill, take your granddaughter to the Sheraton Palace for Sunday brunch or tea (bring a wheelbarrow full of money). It is just a few blocks down Market from the Hyatt.

[This message has been edited by Karen2 (edited 07-09-2001).]
Old Jul 9, 2001, 11:40 am

I recently stayed at the Fishermen's Wharf and agree that it's a little overrated. If you do actually stay, I strongly recommend getting a room facing away from the pool.

The SFO Hyatt Regency is a very nice property, so if you can find a comparable rate there - I would second the previous recommendation to do so.

------------------
Who is John Galt?
------------------
Old Jul 9, 2001, 3:07 pm

I agree...stay away from this Hotel.

Not really up to what we think Hyatt standards should be.
Old Dec 15, 2005, 1:34 pm

Recent Stays at the Fisherman's Wharf?

Most of the more current threads speak to the pros and cons of the Park Hyatt, Grand Hyatt and Hyatt Regency (I've stayed at all three), but I'd like some information on the Fisherman's Wharf location. I'll be staying there soon for the first time and am curious as to the rooms, restaurants and amenities. I'm not expecting much if any upgrade as I'm only Platinum right now. Thanks in advance!
Old Jan 5, 2006, 7:29 pm

My Recent Stay at the Fisherman's Wharf Hyatt

Well, I recently completed a stay at the Hyatt Fisherman's Wharf. The hotel's location is fine though I prefer not to be in the tourist hustle and bustle of the Fisherman's Wharf area. Nevertheless, cabs are readily available, and the trams and trolleys are also close by.

The common areas of the hotel reminded me of an older Marriott. The restaurant was quite casual with a sports bar motif. Although we didn't eat dinner there, we did have breakfast using the AAA breakfast coupons. I had one of the tastiest hotel breakfasts I've had in quite some time. It included an egg scramble, bacon, aspargus, juice, coffee, etc. You could also choose the buffet, but I generally prefer to order a la carte.

The room was fine but definitely needed some updating. The carpet and most of the furniture probably hadn't been changed in quite a few years. The bed, however, was surprisingly comfortable and provided for a very nice night's sleep. The bathroom again needs some updating and seemed more like a bathroom one would find in a mid-tier Quality Hotel.

The front desk and restaurant staff were all very pleasant, and the price of $99 (which included a Hyatt gift card and breakfast for two) represented a great value, especially in San Francisco. All in all, this was a fine but rather unexceptional stay.
Old Aug 10, 2007, 7:28 am

Programs: UA 2MM, DL 500k, AA 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
There are three options that I've done. One is an open, pay, lot that's a couple of blocks east on North Point (the street the hotel is on). It's fenced, but I can't remember if it's monitored at night. It used to be questionable for some people when the area just beyond the wharf was kind of questionable (believe it or not), but not anymore.

What I've done most often is, um, to park right out front on the street. If I recall correctly, the meters are "dead" from some reasonable time in the evening, and go "live" - e.g., have to be fed quarters - seven days a week - at 8:00am. The street is typically empty at night. (Well, weekends, and across the Christmas-New Year's holidays, are all I know about.) But I can't imagine why it'd be any different other nights, unless lots of people have caught on to this. You have to pay attention to the signs that say when there's night street cleaning, which, like most cities, is only one side of the street per night.

A third thought. If you are renting a car, most of the companies have outlets within a couple of short blocks of the hotel, should that give you options re keeping a car or not during your stay. I haven't paid a drop surcharge for picking up or dropping a car there, or at the downtown locations around Union Square, and/or at the airports (SFO, OAK). Actually, it can be a viable choice for transportation to/from the airport for several people at once. Then you can cab and cable car around town, saving daily rental fees, insurance, taxes & local fees, and, yes, parking -- not just at the hotel. Then walk across the street and get your next ride for ranging further out and to get you back to the airport. [The big picture: Cars only at the beginning and end of the trip. But that's another thread...]
Old Aug 12, 2007, 3:31 pm

Programs: AA 3MM EXP, SQ Solitaire, LH SEN, CX DM, Hyatt CC, Marriott LT Titanium
How is the hotel now after the renovation? Thinking of staying here in September as opposed to the other hyatts in SFO, which I remember to be quite old and horrible...
Old Aug 13, 2007, 10:56 pm

Programs: UA Premier Silver, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by tfung
How is the hotel now after the renovation? Thinking of staying here in September as opposed to the other hyatts in SFO, which I remember to be quite old and horrible...
The hotel is great. Seems brand new, each room has brand new HDTVs. Everyother floor has a laundry room where you can wash you clotes yourself instead of paying for the hotel service. However, if you plan on renting a car, they charge a ridiculous price to park at the hotel.
Old Nov 12, 2007, 6:20 pm
thc

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, AA Platinum
Am here for one night. I come to SF a lot but have never been to this property. I was very pleasantly surprised. I never saw this hotel before the renovation, but whoever was in charge of the renovation did a great job. The lobby looks great with lots of cream colored marble and great lighting. The sunken lobby actually kind of reminds me of the PH Washington.

The rooms are also really nice and "W Hotel-esque". Lots of browns and dark woods. The bed is very comfortable, and the desk has a nice ergonomic chair. The flat screen tv is really nice as well.

Overall, it was a pretty stylish hotel, which surprised me since it's in the middle of tourist trap Fisherman's Wharf. I wish more Hyatt Regency or Grand Hyatt properties looked like this.

The location is a pain for business travelers if your office is downtown, but the hotel has a complimentary car service to the Financial District in the mornings which is a great perk.
Old Nov 16, 2007, 6:18 pm
AMA

Originally Posted by thc
The location is a pain for business travelers if your office is downtown, but the hotel has a complimentary car service to the Financial District in the mornings which is a great perk.
Yeah, back in the early '90s, I used to work over at 425 Market St.(IBM bldg., corner of Market & Fremont), and on occasion would stay at the Hyatt at the wharf. Was very handy using the limo over to Market, just have to be sure and get your name on the list.
Old Dec 9, 2007, 6:37 pm

Just used one FFN here. Good service, good gym, GREAT suite upgrade. Only bummer: full breakfast buffet now reduced to pastry and coffee (for all DIamond stays, FFN, Cash or Points)
Old Dec 17, 2007, 9:33 pm
thc

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, AA Platinum
I'm here again, and I forgot one reason to stay here: it's within walking distance of In-N-Out Burger!
Old Jan 28, 2008, 7:41 pm

Programs: HH diamond, Hyatt diamond, *wood plat, Delta Diamond 4th yr, SWA A List
Thumbs up Trip Report Hyatt San Francisco Fisherman's Wharf

Wow. I really enjoyed this hotel stay. The weather was chilly (Jan 26, 2008), yet the outdoor pool and hot tub were very warm and refreshing. A changing room with shower and ample towels was located nearby.

The rooms were oversized and very modern. The showers were walkin with an overhead showerhead. The king beds were very comfortable and feather pillows were provided. The three rooms smelled fresh and all were very clean. Hyatt concierges and front desk staff were knowledgeable and genuinely friendly.

The diamond amenity (cheese, crackers, fruit, wine, etc) was bountiful and enjoyable.

(I stayed at the nearby Hilton the night before for similar rate and although the front desk staff were equally friendly, the room was not as modern or clean.)

The location is very convenient to the Wharf (so is the Hilton). As a side note, there is a very enjoyable foot reflexology studio nearby that provides foot massages for under $50 bucks.

Parking is "relatively" expensive, you might be able to find off site parking for less a few blocks away.

The hotel has a fireplace, sofas, and easy chairs in the lobby which are comfortable to use while waiting for your car or socializing.

Overall, I would highly recommend the Hyatt at Fishermans Wharf in San Francisco.

Last edited by VFF1000000; Jan 28, 2008 at 7:43 pm Reason: added date of stay
Old May 21, 2008, 10:35 am

Programs: Emirates Gold, United Silver, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Discoverist, Delta Gold
The Hyatt sounds like it has had some good improvements. I booked with hotwire for this weekend. How convenient is it to a bike rental store as I really want to bike the Golden Gate Bridge? Any casual must go restaurants near by?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.