Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More
Reload this Page >

LH2387 Business Class Geneve to Munich; then LH730 First Class Munich to HKG

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2017, 4:17 pm
Original Poster

Hi All:

I'm on a short 1 hour flight from Geneve to Munich (LH2387) in Business Class, then connecting to LH730 First Class from Munich to Hong Kong.

My concern and question has to do with what they will allow me luggage-wise in Geneve, as I'm merely flying Business for the 1-hour flight to Munich, yet, the bulk of my trip is via LH730 First Class from Munich to Hong Kong.

Will they allow two large full-sized suitcases checked in from Geneve?

Thank you in advance.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 4:26 pm

2x32kg will not be a problem at all since that is the Business class baggage allowance anyway.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 4:44 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for your reply re: the check in weight allowance.

New related question please:

the carry-on allowance is 2 bags of 17 pounds each.

that seems very light to me. i use a roller carry-on, and a backpack where i put my laptop and essential items in. the roller carry-on seems to me greater than 17 pounds and my backpack is reasonably heavy as well as it contains my essential electronics (laptop and related must have equipment).

may i ask what they might allow me to do at JFK specifically for this flight if i'm over the quoted 17 pound limit per piece of carry-on?

on the phone, Swiss International Airlines told me that they may allow me to pay more at JFK, but how much i'll need to pay is unknown to them unless one were speaking directly to the JFK staff!! It is also unknown if they will even allow me to carry on these two items if they are over 17 pounds!! there is no assurance.

is that really true?

i haven't had these issues previously as i've been flying recently a different class and a different airline.

thank you in advance.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 5:00 pm

Usually LH/LX doesn't bother checking the weight of the carry-on or backpacks. Certainly not for F passengers. I wouldn't worry.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 5:35 pm
Original Poster

@fassy: thank you so much for your reply. you've put my mind at ease.

i assume what you said also applies specifically to the Geneve Lufthansa check in staff? or, were you speaking in general around the world.

thank you again. very helpful you've been.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 7:20 pm

Programs: QR Gold / M&M FTL / Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
I often fly business class from GVA with connection to LHR ZRH FRA.
it's Swissport staff who manage for Swiss / Lufthansa group.
Nobody ever weighted my 2 carry on. Check in is usually efficient fast and friendly no questions asked.

Your feeder flight is a CRJ-900 (small plane), I do not know if they will check the size of the carry-on at the gate because the limited space of the cabin.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 7:32 pm
Original Poster

@GalaxyChris:

thanks for your thoughtful reply.

ugh, that's a problem. my carry-on includes a laptop etc. things that i don't wish to check in.

do you think they might consider the fact that my main "leg" (next leg) is a First Class ticket, and maybe, just maybe, let me go ahead?

the two pieces of carry-on are not ridiculously large: a standard roller on, and a backpack that is rather stuffed but it's a laptop backpack, so it's not some camping gigantic backpack. might those "pass" their judgement of what's too large for the CRJ-900 and what's ok?

thank you again in advance for your highly experienced advice.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 8:02 pm

If you regularly have these two 17+ pounts heavy carry-ons with you, I'd try to book an appointment for a consultation with an orthopaedic surgeon soon, so that you know what to expect in the not so distant future.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 12:11 am

Programs: LH HON
the issue is that the CRJ has almost no overhead space.

as you're in Business, the seat next to you will be empty so if it is standard size, it will fit under the seat and you're good. if it doesn't fit - it doesn't fit and needs to be checked plane-side (it will go to a separate compartment and you'll receive it when leaving the plane in MUC where you will be met by your limo Driver).

If you want to be safe: pack in a way, that the most sensitive Equipment is in a bag small enough to fit under the seat and the rest in a bag/backpack that you can live without for 1 hour.

there is no danger of stuff getting lost as you take it to the plane yourself and pick it up again at the plane but of course, depending on how you pack, it could get damaged.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 1:46 am

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
Originally Posted by daumueller
as you're in Business, the seat next to you will be empty so if it is standard size, it will fit under the seat and you're good. if it doesn't fit - it doesn't fit and needs to be checked plane-side (it will go to a separate compartment and you'll receive it when leaving the plane in MUC where you will be met by your limo Driver).

If you want to be safe: pack in a way, that the most sensitive Equipment is in a bag small enough to fit under the seat and the rest in a bag/backpack that you can live without for 1 hour.
My thought exactly: I fly on LH CRJs a lot and always travel with two pieces, a cabin-sized trolley and a slightly smaller laptop-backpack that can be attached to the trolley. I then check my trolley plane-side and take the backpack with laptop, cellphone, sensitive documents, breakables etc. with me on the plane. Has turned out to be the perfect strategy for the small planes and should probably also work for the thread-starter.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 2:22 am

Originally Posted by KLouis
If you regularly have these two 17+ pounts heavy carry-ons with you, I'd try to book an appointment for a consultation with an orthopaedic surgeon soon, so that you know what to expect in the not so distant future.
I suspect if the thought of regularly having 17+ pound bags with you makes you think of an orthopedic consultation then you're already have quite the medical history.
That's the equivalent of a six pack of large water battles. Something people grab from the store on a weekly basis - at least if they shop themselves that is.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 5:51 am

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
Originally Posted by Lack
water battles
What a hostile place the world has become

Sorry, couldn't resist.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 12:43 pm
Original Poster

Thank you all for such helpful comments. Much appreciated.

To clarify and fine tune my question, I will have 2 large full sized suitcases which are checked in, plus the "one roller on and one laptop backpack" (roller on and backpack already mentioned.

So, the issue is whether or not my first leg (Geneve to Munich) on the LH regional subsidiary, would allow me to check-in TWO full sized suitcases, plus the 2 items in cabin (roller on and the laptop backpack).

It seems to me that the Geneve airport check in folks would likely understand that the long leg of my trip is on First Class from Munich to HKG, and that this 1 hour short first leg is just Business, and one would hope that they would allow this not-overly-unreasonable amount to go through without issues!

may i ask if my assumption is correct or am i overly optimistic?

thank you again.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 1:43 pm

Programs: LX SEN, AFKL Platinum, BA Bronze,
Originally Posted by Dualmonitors
Thank you all for such helpful comments. Much appreciated.

To clarify and fine tune my question, I will have 2 large full sized suitcases which are checked in, plus the "one roller on and one laptop backpack" (roller on and backpack already mentioned.

So, the issue is whether or not my first leg (Geneve to Munich) on the LH regional subsidiary, would allow me to check-in TWO full sized suitcases, plus the 2 items in cabin (roller on and the laptop backpack).

It seems to me that the Geneve airport check in folks would likely understand that the long leg of my trip is on First Class from Munich to HKG, and that this 1 hour short first leg is just Business, and one would hope that they would allow this not-overly-unreasonable amount to go through without issues!

may i ask if my assumption is correct or am i overly optimistic?

thank you again.
You are correct. Connecting to long-haul F will give you F bagage allowance, but also F lounge access in GVA and a car to the plane if on an apron position. Same upon arrival in MUC.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 3:04 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Dualmonitors
Why is this an issue? Business Class on European flights allows you to check 2 bags up to 32kg each plus 2 pieces of carry-on baggage. In First Class you can check 3 bags up to 32kg each.

https://www.lufthansa.com/online/myp...en&cid=1000243

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.