Wiki Posts
Search

Staying in NJ & NYC--EWR or LGA?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2017, 8:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA P DL MR UA
Staying in NJ & NYC--EWR or LGA?

Next month I'm going to NYC on a Thursday, then going to a weekend event in Secaucus NJ (1st night in a Manhattan hotel, next two in Secaucus). I can't decide if it makes more sense to fly into EWR and arrange transport to NYC, or LGA, then get to Secaucus Friday morning. I've going to a Broadway show Thursday that starts at 7:00 pm; I'll be leaving from a Meadowlands hotel in Secaucus before noon Monday.

Which airport would work better, or should I just book RDU-LGA one way and EWR-RDU for return?
Old Aug 20, 2017, 9:42 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by KBRDU
Next month I'm going to NYC on a Thursday, then going to a weekend event in Secaucus NJ (1st night in a Manhattan hotel, next two in Secaucus). I can't decide if it makes more sense to fly into EWR and arrange transport to NYC, or LGA, then get to Secaucus Friday morning. I've going to a Broadway show Thursday that starts at 7:00 pm; I'll be leaving from a Meadowlands hotel in Secaucus before noon Monday.

Which airport would work better, or should I just book RDU-LGA one way and EWR-RDU for return?

What hotel in Manhattan?

Will need more information for the arrival.

Departing, go with EWR as you're all ready in Jersey and will have reasonable access to the NJ Transit line to the airport.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 9:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Definitely depart from EWR if you can to avoid crossing NYC to get to LGA or JFK. Depending on your airline, you might be able to fly into LGA and out from EWR (or even PHL, which generally has decent train connections to NJ) for the same price.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 10:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA P DL MR UA
Originally Posted by KENNECTED
What hotel in Manhattan?

Will need more information for the arrival.

Departing, go with EWR as you're all ready in Jersey and will have reasonable access to the NJ Transit line to the airport.
Hotel is the Holiday Inn Manhattan 6th Ave - Chelsea.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 10:28 am
Suspended

Hotel is the Holiday Inn Manhattan 6th Ave - Chelsea.
You may want to arrive and depart from Newark. Take NJ Transit to Penn station and walk to the Hotel.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 10:30 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Honors Gold, JetSmarter, Global Entry, CLEAR

I would definitely say flight out of EWR. Especially if you are staying at the Meadowlands hotel the night before. Now, flying in it would really depend where in NYC you will be staying. I personally hate LGA and would suggest JFK if possible. Also depends what airline you are on as well. LGA is a little closer to NYC but JFK is so much nicer
Old Aug 20, 2017, 10:43 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by mike.macrone
I would definitely say flight out of EWR. Especially if you are staying at the Meadowlands hotel the night before. Now, flying in it would really depend where in NYC you will be staying. I personally hate LGA and would suggest JFK if possible. Also depends what airline you are on as well. LGA is a little closer to NYC but JFK is so much nicer
Both airports are in NYC. I think you mean Manhattan.

For someone coming into manhattan with a time constraint I would never suggest JFK as there are too many moving parts. Even with delays at LGA, you have the convenience of bing closer to Manhattan.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 10:46 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Honors Gold, JetSmarter, Global Entry, CLEAR
Originally Posted by KENNECTED
Both airports are in NYC. I think you mean Manhattan.

For someone coming into manhattan with a time constraint I would never suggest JFK as there are too many moving parts. Even with delays at LGA, you have the convenience of bing closer to Manhattan.
Yes, I did mean Manhattan. My apologies. That is very true, it would depend how much time you have, and which airline you are on. Also what time of day you would be arriving
Old Aug 20, 2017, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
(or even PHL, which generally has decent train connections to NJ)
Call me crazy, but when one airport is 10 miles away and one is 70 miles away, I usually go for the 10-mile-away one.
mike.macrone and Beltway2A like this.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Definitely depart from EWR if you can to avoid crossing NYC to get to LGA or JFK. Depending on your airline, you might be able to fly into LGA and out from EWR (or even PHL, which generally has decent train connections to NJ) for the same price.
I definitely would not advise going to PHL. Not only is the airport riddled with delays, but it is also a 2 hour drive (1 1/2 train ride) from NYC. I would not try that. Especially if you are on a time crunch. Rather fly to LGA
Old Aug 20, 2017, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I definitely would not advise going to PHL. Not only is the airport riddled with delays, but it is also a 2 hour drive (1 1/2 train ride) from NYC. I would not try that. Especially if you are on a time crunch. Rather fly to LGA
On the return there's no question that EWR is the right answer. On the inbound, I would be indifferent as among LGA, JFK, and EWR, especially if planning to take public transportation to the hotel, and would choose based on price and schedule. If taking taxi/uber/car service to the hotel, I'd probably opt for LGA over EWR (some would disagree with me and would choose EWR over LGA), and would put JFK at the bottom of the list.
mike.macrone likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
EWR
JFK
LGA

In that order.

EWR is closer to Manhattan than JFK.
NoTravelIsFree likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Repooc17
EWR is closer to Manhattan than JFK.
Except that, as it turns out, Manhattan is not a single spot on a map.

LGA to OP's hotel = under 10 miles
JFK to OP's hotel = 15.5-17 miles depending on route
EWR to OP's hotel = 17-18 miles depending on route
KENNECTED likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by Blumie
On the return there's no question that EWR is the right answer. On the inbound, I would be indifferent as among LGA, JFK, and EWR, especially if planning to take public transportation to the hotel, and would choose based on price and schedule. If taking taxi/uber/car service to the hotel, I'd probably opt for LGA over EWR (some would disagree with me and would choose EWR over LGA), and would put JFK at the bottom of the list.
Ahhh okay. EWR for sure on the outbound! For inbound, since you want to take public transportation - any of the airports would work. EWR, you hop right on the train and can be in Manhattan without any transfers. LGA and JFK also have fine public transportation. Just would depend how much time you have. I would suggest LGA if you are doing a car service - less time to Manhattan and a little less money
Old Aug 20, 2017, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ahhh okay. EWR for sure on the outbound! For inbound, since you want to take public transportation - any of the airports would work. EWR, you hop right on the train and can be in Manhattan without any transfers. LGA and JFK also have fine public transportation. Just would depend how much time you have. I would suggest LGA if you are doing a car service - less time to Manhattan and a little less money
I'm not the OP. I have no idea if the OP is planning to take public transportation. But if he is he should know that at EWR he has to take the AirTrain and transfer to a train to Penn Station, which is exactly the same as from JFK. From LGA he would take an express bus and transfer to the subway. So all three airports require one relatively easy transfer. All three would take in the neighborhood of an hour, maybe 75 minutes. Which is why I'd be indifferent among the three if using public transportation.
mike.macrone likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.