Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Basic US passport question for Sweden

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2017, 10:14 pm
Original Poster

Basic US passport question for Sweden

Many thanks for your help. I am embarrassed to admit I just realized my US passport is due to expire just under 5 months after my planned entry to Sweden from Newark airport on SAS. I'm due to leave in 10 days!

Most of the guidance I have seen about entry requirements are frustratingly hazy, like 6 months validity is "recommended" on some State Department pages, others say the Schengen countries all "require" 6 months validity.

Anyone with experience with this issue? Thank you!
Old Jun 28, 2017, 12:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
https://travel.state.gov/content/pas...act-sheet.html

Entry into any of the 26 European countries in the Schengen area for short-term tourism, a business trip, or in transit to a non-Schengen destination, requires that your passport be valid for at least three months beyond your intended date of departure.

But yet, confusingly, the same website says should be valid for six months under Sweden

Why don't you give a call to the Swedish embassy, they should really know.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 6:47 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
I don't trust the State department website on other countries' travel requirements to be 100% accurate.

http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens...s/index_en.htm

Passport/Visa requirements

If you are a non-EU national wishing to visit or travel within the EU, you will need a passport:
  • valid for at least 3 months after the date you intend to leave the EU country you are visiting,
  • which was issued within the previous 10 years, and possibly a visa.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 1:45 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
https://travel.state.gov/content/pas...act-sheet.html

Entry into any of the 26 European countries in the Schengen area for short-term tourism, a business trip, or in transit to a non-Schengen destination, requires that your passport be valid for at least three months beyond your intended date of departure.

But yet, confusingly, the same website says should be valid for six months under Sweden

Why don't you give a call to the Swedish embassy, they should really know.
I arrive at ARN on direct flights from the US rather often. When I show at ARN passport control with my US passport expiring within 4 or 5 months, I usually get in without a peep.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 2:03 pm

Programs: AY, BT, DY and SK. Scandic, Radisson, Marriott and HHonors. ClubONE
Originally Posted by GUWonder
I arrive at ARN on direct flights from the US rather often. When I show at ARN passport control with my US passport expiring within 4 or 5 months, I usually get in without a peep.
And at other times with a peep?
Old Jun 28, 2017, 2:12 pm

Programs: Various
Interesting because in the other direction it's apparently enough that the passport is valid for the duration of the visit.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 2:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
No need to spend time on the phone to Consulates which often give off-hand and incorrect advice and which, in any event, aren't quotable later, e.g. "but, I called your Consulate..."

The first step is to meet SK's document check. SK will rely on IATA's database, TIMATIC, which is available to you free through a variety of sources. I checked UA's portal and you appear to be fine.

But, I would print that out and have it with you.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 2:47 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by tsastor
And at other times with a peep?
I've got so many Schengen stamps that it sometimes can't but become at least a talking point. That and there is something else to it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.