Wiki Posts
Search

Review of Sofitel Phokeetra Phnom Penh

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2011, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Smile Review of Sofitel Phokeetra Phnom Penh

Sofitel Phnom Penh Phokeethra

Map| 3 Reviews | 67% Recommended

26 Old August Site Sothearos Boulevard Phnom Penh, KH

Review of Sofitel Phokeetra Phnom Penh (0 Photo)

I stayed for 4 nights in this newly built Accor property end January/beg February. This hotel is brand new. They opened on December 18, 2010 and they are still in a “soft opening” phase. This is the 2nd Sofitel in Cambodia, after the great Sofitel Royal Angkor in Siem Reap, which is, in my heart, the best hotel in the world (see the thread by my very good
friendCupart:http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/accor...esort-spa.html). The director of the new Sofitel Phnom Penh is Mr Lamoot who is the former director of the Sofitel Angkor. As he did a great job there, one could expect the best from the Phnom Penh one. So here is a brief review.

The hotel is located about 2 km south of the Royal Palace, very close to the Russian embassy, in an area that is changing a lot. I mean that the surroundings of the hotel are not really great right now (there is even a kind of “favella” well visible from the pool area) but this is a promising area as there are some luxury villas being built, so the area will improve very quickly.

Check In

I have to say that this hotel is very nice. The main hall of the hotel is huge with the bar on the left side and the check-in & concierge desks at the back. When I arrived, I was greeted by a very courteous staff member with a welcome drink. He asked for my passport and credit card and asked if I was an A-Club member. I said yes and gave my platinum card. He looked at it and said “Oh, Mr Goldorak, we were expecting you”. He came back a few minutes later with the usual paperwork to fill & sign and told me that they upgraded me to the upper category room. Then I had the nice surprise to see an ex-Sofitel Angkor staff member (a Cambodian speaking very well French) who came to tell me how nice it was to see me again there, and enquiring about my family he already met in Siem Reap. What a nice welcome ! In fact 30 staff members moved from the Sofitel Angkor to the new Phnom Pehn Sofitel. So I was knowing a lot of people there (as I stayed several times in Siem Reap) so it was a great stay that was coming.

Room

Very nice B&W pictures of Angkor temples and Cambodian countryside are depicted in the lobbies. My room was quite big and very nice and extremely comfortable. There were the bedding area and a living room area (with a sofa and an armchair). A full plate of chocolate and typical French pastries (clairs au caf& au chocolat) were waiting on a table. TV was a nice Samsung flat screen with a DVD player. The only “negative” point of my stay is that the insonorisation of the rooms could be better. Not from the outside noise but from the neighbouring room through the communication doors.

Service

The staff is as great as in the Sofitel Angkor. I think the staff members who knew me from Siem reap told the others, as I was always greeted with “Hello Mr Goldorak !” even by some people that I never knew before.

Dining

Four restaurants are available : I tried all except the Chinese one that was about to open but not opened yet during my stay. Great food. The chief is a Franco-Khmer very nice guy who came to discuss with me several times.

Pool

There is a nice pool with a pool-side bar which is greatly appreciated after a day of walking in the warm Phnom Penh.

Overall

So, in summary, a very nice hotel with great staff. A nice addition for the Sofitel brand. I would definitely go there again for my next visit in PNH !

Review of Sofitel Phokeetra Phnom Penh

Would you like to write a review on the Sofitel Phnom Penh Phokeethra?

No, thank you.
Yes

Last edited by Goldorak; Feb 12, 2011 at 9:03 am
Old Feb 12, 2011, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Very nice! Thanks for the post.
Old Feb 12, 2011, 9:11 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
Sounds great, thanks for the review Goldorak ^
Old Feb 12, 2011, 11:14 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), Bonvoy Gold, ALL Silver, IHG Gold, RH VIP
Nice review Goldorak ^

I can say to all that if Goldorak gives any hotel the thumbs up, you are 100% sure it will be the best of the best. I have stayed in hotels based on his recommendations and must say he has been spot on every time.

It seems like Raffles Phnom Penh is getting some competition by the sounds of it. Yes one hotel is at the Russian Embassy another close to the US Embassy... Despite having a free complimentary night available at The Raffles, I think Sofitel is going to be my next preferred hotel when visiting Cambodia again :-)
Old Feb 12, 2011, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Thank you very much guys for your nice comments
Old Feb 25, 2012, 2:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Thumbs up review of 2nd GREAT stay

:-::-::-::-::-:
I just completed my 2nd stay in this wonderful hotel, so I revived my thread of last year.
The hotel is now open for just over 1 year and you feel that it's not anymore in the "soft opening" phase of last year. Among changes, the GM Mr Lamoot who came from Sofitel Angkor, has now left for Sofitel Bora Bora. He has been replaced by Mr Chevet, who was also GM of Sofitel Angkor when Mr Lamoot moved to PNH.
I was travelling with my parents (my father is also A Club platinum). For them it was their 1st stay in this hotel. Upon arrival, while waiting for the usual paperwork to sign and drinking a welcome drink, we were personnally greated by the GM and 2 of his assistants (one French, one Cambodian). They thank us for our loyalty and said how happy they were that I was coming back in the hotel. They took the time to discuss with us about many things about the hotel and PNH. They announced us that both rooms would be upgraded to junior suites :-::-::-: and that they would be happy to help for anything we need during our stay. We told them that we were going to Sofitel Angkor a few days after, so they said that they will call the hotel to announce our arrival and to make sure that we will be taken care appropriately ^ . What a wonderful and professional welcome !

Rooms were really nice and included an espresso machine. A plate of fresh French pastries and chocolates was present. Every evening, during the turndown service, macarons were put in the rooms.

Other changes in the hotel :
- there is now a 2nd pool + caf near the sport room on the entrance side. Hotel guests can access it but in practice it is used by people living in PNH (mostly expatriated people) and want to acess a pool and a sport room for a fee. When I was there, this pool was quite busy with many kids screaming around . So, for the hotel guests, it's better to use the other pool.
- a Chinese restaurant is now open (but didn't try it), in addition to the Italian, Japanese and buffet restaurants already opened last year.

Around the hotel, the "favella" I was mentionning in the initial post of this thread has been destroyed and no doubt that luxury villas or shopping malls will be built shortly (I read that Cambodians loved US style-shopping malls).

We had several times the occasion to cross the path of the GM or of the front office manager and they always took some time to check if everything was OK and if we need any help for something. The front office manager and his staff did actually helped us a lot and in a very efficient manner, to organize a trip to a school in the suburb, to recommend very good restaurants outside and to book air tickets on Cambodia Angkor Air (which was very complicated to do outside the hotel).

Drink selection at the bar is nice. We had dinner twice at the hotel (at the buffet and at the Italian restaurant) and the food was very good. Excellent service in the restaurants + good chats also with the French staff in restaurants, including with the Franco-Khmer chef.

I forgot to say that, of course, all the staff from top level to housekeeping was perfect and very polite.

So, you have probably understood that this stay was absolutely great and how professional the staff has been in all manner, including loyalty and A Club status recognition. Thanks again to Mr Chevet and all his staff for such a wonderful stay.

I definitely recommend you guys to choose this hotel if you go in PNH.

Only "negative" thing to say : A Club points have not been credited for me, and for my father not the correct number.

Now I will tell you about the Angkor stay in another thread started before by my friend Cupart :
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/accor...esort-spa.html

Last edited by Goldorak; Feb 25, 2012 at 3:04 am
Old Feb 25, 2012, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by Goldorak
:-::-::-::-::-:
I just completed my 2nd stay in this wonderful hotel, so I revived my thread of last year.
Thanks for the great review. We'll be heading there in July.
One question, though - has the hotel entered the AdvantagePlus dining discount program yet, or does the posh "not in our hotel" policy still exist?

Thanks!
Old Feb 26, 2012, 2:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by TheShis
One question, though - has the hotel entered the AdvantagePlus dining discount program yet, or does the posh "not in our hotel" policy still exist?

Thanks!
Sorry, I have no idea about this. Enjoy your stay there
Old Feb 26, 2012, 11:00 am

Originally Posted by Goldorak
Sorry, I have no idea about this. Enjoy your stay there
Cheers.
Old Feb 26, 2012, 8:20 pm

Programs: KF Gold, QF Gold, MR Platinum, Accor Platinum, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by TheShis

Thanks!
Unfortunately they didn't participate on dining discounts.

http://www.accoradvantageplus.com/ho...php?ctry_id=36
Old Feb 27, 2012, 6:35 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), Bonvoy Gold, ALL Silver, IHG Gold, RH VIP
Great review (as always) Mr. Goldorak ^
Old Feb 27, 2012, 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by Cupart
Great review (as always) Mr. Goldorak ^
+1

Thanks Goldorak for taking the time to write such a long review
Old Nov 10, 2013, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Have the shopping malls and luxury villas around the hotel been completed yet?
Old Nov 10, 2013, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Have the shopping malls and luxury villas around the hotel been completed yet?
Last february, it had just started (nothing built but preparatory works in the field). I didn't go back since that time.
Old Mar 2, 2014, 2:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Map| 3 Reviews | 67% Recommended

26 Old August Site Sothearos Boulevard Phnom Penh, KH

Sofitel Phnom Penh Phokeethra (0 Photo)

Hello guys. Here is a review of my 3rd stay in this hotel (4 nights). It was the 1st step of a 2 weeks stay in SE Asia during which I stayed in 3 excellent Sofitel (Phnom Penh, Siem Reap/Angkor and Saigon). I will write the Angkor and Saigon reports right after this one. Outside the quality of stay in general, I was particularly interested to see what would be the Platinum treatment since the new rules implementation. And I can already tell you that the 3 hotels were excellent in all aspects.

This hotel has a club millesime on the top floor, but I knew that I would not check-in there as I was arriving at midnight at the hotel. Indeed the Club millesime is closed at that time and you can imagine that the lobby and front desk were empty. When I arrived, they already knew who I was and I was given my key immediately and luggages were delivered to my room promptly. I had booked a superior room and had been upgraded instantly to a Luxury room with Club access. My relatives (platinum also) were arriving the following morning and received exactly the same treatment and upgrade.

I had already stayed in those rooms before and they are extremely pleasant : large with a separate seating area (sofa + armchair) and a balcony. I was told during the stay that we were given intentionally rooms on the pool side because on the "city side" the construction of the big mall is very active and they said there's sometimes some noise from the construction quite late in the evening. Very nice attention

In the room :
- a welcome letter signed by the GM :
"Dear Mr Goldorak, it's a pleasure to welcome you one again in Sofitel Phnom Penh (…) In our hotel, as a member of our loyalty program and thanks to your platinum status, we have the pleasure to grant you exclusive privileges. This way, we want to thank you for your loyalty :
- welcome drink : we are delighted to invite you for a welcome drink : non-alcoholic drink, beer, prosecco sparkling wine, etc at the bar
- upgrade : we have upgraded you in one of our luxury rooms. We wish you an excellent stay
- VIP treatment : a special attention for you is awaiting you in your room(see about the other note below). Enjoy it
- free internet : stay connected at all times anywhere in the hotel and for free
- free newspaper (Phnom Penh post or Cambodia daily) : your selected newspaper will be delivered to you every morning in order for you to be aware about the last news
- Club lounge access : we will be delighted to welcome you at our Club Millesime on the 12th floor
- late check-out : we will do our best to grant you a late check-out, pending availability. Check with our staff the day before your departure.
(…)
All my team is at your disposal to make your stay a memorable experience.
(…)

- a huge box of tropical fruits was present with a note from the GM saying :
"Dear Mr Goldorak, it's a pleasure to welcome you one again in Sofitel Phnom Penh. As a member of our loyalty program and thanks to your platinum status, we invite you to enjoy as of now your benefits by savoring this delicious selection of Khmer fruits. Bon apptit"

Time now to have a good night of sleep in excellent Sofitel beds

Club Millesime is nice and has a "very chic" atmosphere. I already tried it last year and enjoyed it. As usual in this kind of club, you can check-in/check-out, have free breakfast, tea/coffee/cakes in the afternoon and cocktails/wines/snacks during the happy hour (from 6 to 8 pm). The selection of food available at the Club was nice and fresh. Hot breakfast items can be ordered as well. The Club was not busy, which was good.

The staff was very nice as always and the GM ensured during the stay that everything was OK.
The only problem during the stay was an extremely slow internet. So slow that it was impossible to use it. Even sending a simple e-mail with 5 lines of text was taking forever. It was not the case during my 2 previous stays in this hotel and so I guessed they likely had a technical problem. I want to precise that this was not due to 2 different access proposed : one free but very slow and one regular but for which you have to pay. This hotel has only one type of internet access and it was free for platinums. Otherwise no problem at all during the stay

So, another excellent stay in this hotel with perfect and transparent implementation of Le Club rules. You'll see in my 2 other reviews that it was the same in the 2 other Sofitel. I like the letter detailing you all the benefits given to you. A big thank you to the GM, Mr Chevet, and all his team.

Points posted very rapidly and with the correct amount.

Would you like to write a review on the Sofitel Phnom Penh Phokeethra?

No, thank you.
Yes

Last edited by Goldorak; Mar 2, 2014 at 3:46 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.