Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Bonn {DEU}

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2019, 9:31 am

Thanks Flyme2, that's very helpful!
Old Nov 12, 2019, 11:44 pm

I agree with flyme2. Had 11 stays this year at the Hilton Bonn and all of them were good. There were connecting doors in most of the rooms. Breakfast is good, that is the reason why also non-hotel guest having breakfast there, especially on weekends. They have an indoor pool. Best place for parking is the Beethoven garage.

I prefer Hilton Bonn to the Hiltons Cologne and Düsseldorf, when staying in that area.
tandiwe76 likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 8:07 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by flyme2
As a Diamond, I get suite upgrades on approximately half of my stays, which is better than at the Marriott. Diamonds get daily chits for snacks/drinks which can be taken from the pantry in the lobby or at the restaurant or bar.
I have stayed here several times but never been upgraded to a suite. However, there is a certain room with balcony and sideways view of Rhine river which I prefer and to which I get reliably upgraded.
Those "chits" has been changed into "coins" good for what you described. However, I only have them per stay not daily.

Overall I am with you: it is a good property, albeit without EL but with many positive points as you already noted.
tandiwe76 likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 8:52 am

Thank you Thbe and Zurich! It sounds like the TA reviews are overly negative, and that it's actually a good midrange property. We are visiting family in Bonn so just need decent place to base ourselves. Thanks!
Old Nov 15, 2019, 1:28 am

Originally Posted by Zurich
I have stayed here several times but never been upgraded to a suite. However, there is a certain room with balcony and sideways view of Rhine river which I prefer and to which I get reliably upgraded.
Those "chits" has been changed into "coins" good for what you described. However, I only have them per stay not daily.
Out of 11 stays I had 1x suite, 2x junior suite, 1x the balcony room, 7x an upgrade to a better view and/or a bit bigger room - with always booking the cheapest room/rate available. Yes, the balcony rooms are very nice. The suite has a higher standard of furniture etc. The junior suites are just a bit bigger.

You get 1 card per person per day (sometimes for up to 2 persons in total, sometimes 3 a day for +1 and +0,5). For 1 card you get i.e. a bottle of Coke or a small pack of Pringle’s.

I’ve had some booking for EUR 65,- per night (sale), that is really a great value for money. Other stays I’ve paid EUR 120,- for a night. Still worth it.
tandiwe76 likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2019, 4:36 am

Programs: SQ Elite Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Platinum
Joining in on the positive comments.

I'm a gold member and had booked a rock-bottom room for 72EUR/night over a long public holiday weekend. I hadn't realized they only had some 4-6 river view rooms per floor when I asked upon check-in whether I could get one of those. The Lady at the reception was reluctant and quoting me 20EUR for that but her colleague interrupted her saying it was fine (once again - public holiday, no business travellers). It turned out to be one of the balcony rooms people have mentioned in this thread. We received 2 snack coupons (per stay), 2 large bottles of (branded) sparkling water and actually enjoyed breakfast.

Just avoid their parking garage (~26EUR/night). The Beethoven one across the street was like ~9EUR overnight (which is the weekend pricing).

I'll be back - no more Kameha Grand for me.
tandiwe76 likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2019, 7:56 am

Thanks Thbe and SkyRunner04 - can I ask how recently your last visits were?

Also, what are your favorite things to do in Bonn? We are looking at visiting the D-- Castle, a day hike and wine tasting in the Ahr valley, and perhaps a boat ride on the Rhine. Not sure about where to start the boat tour or whether its worth a full day.
Old Nov 16, 2019, 3:04 pm

Programs: HH D
Very nice sunrise this morning as seen from my balcony. Was able to upgrade to a room with an extra-large balcony through the magic of online check-in. A thermometer on a neighboring office building indicated it was two degrees Celsius. Seated in a thick winter coat and gloves on, enjoyed a fresh cup of Nespresso. 'Drachenfels' was clearly visible in the distance, a 321 meters high sleeping volcano, about ten kilometers away on the other bank of the Rhine. A sort of needle sticks out from the top, it looks like a chimney. But it is actually the last upright wall of a castle ruin. You can drive there by car in about half an hour. At the bottom, you can take the cog railway up to the scenic viewpoint (or hike up). Drachenburg Castle is also nearby, which is actually a 19th-century villa. You could also ride there by bicycle, there are very pleasant cycling paths along the river, on both sides. It takes about an hour to get there. I myself did not get any further than the location of the former Bundestag, which now holds, among other things, a United Nations location. In front of the Deutsche Welle building was a piece of a remnant of the Berlin wall. This week marks the 30th anniversary of its breach. In the Rheinaue park, the Japanese garden looked beautiful because of the autumn colors. (In the second picture Drachenfels is just above the W in West Side Story.) 2020 marks the 250 birthday of Ludwig van Beethoven. The Beethoven Haus museum is a six minute walk from the Hilton.
Attached Images     
tandiwe76 and Zurich like this.
Old Nov 16, 2019, 3:40 pm

Beautiful photos Sisosig! That Japanese garden with the fall colors - wow! Thanks for the tips on good things to do around Bonn, sounds like that can keep us busy for a few days...
Wolfram Heerlen likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2019, 4:09 pm

Programs: HH D
This is what the rooms on floors 0, 1 and 2 look like - they were renovated around 2012. However, this is a junior suite. (Like the previous posters, I'm only staying here when the rates are low, which greatly improves your chances of being upgraded, I must assume). Floors 3 and 4 were renovated about ten years ago, but floor 4 has many nice river-view balconies.
Attached Images  
Zurich likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2019, 3:22 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond
Just completed three nights here. Booked basic room for 72€/night, pre-upgraded to River View with Balcony and finally blocked into my much favored room 429 at the end of the hallway showing to the quiet side road.
Encountered very friendly staff at reception (with one exception, well, that happens), bar, breakfast restaurant (front desk there, waiting stuff was rather neutral) and housekeeping. The friendly door man, albeit waiting inside most of the time, is a friendly guy, too.
Three chits for a free drink at the bar (free wine selection). If you are into white wine: they have local wine called "Bonner Freundeskreis". Not really dry, rather flowery (if that is correct here) but nevertheless great!
There is a good spirit reigning this location. I love it for what it is. it is all about Beethoven this year. I did not manage to get access to the opening concert in the theatre building next door. I had dinner at the Viet Nam opposite of Hilton and at Ruland (Italian). The latter is the more expensive but still very reasonably priced. From my point of view both good to very good places.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 8:18 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
Solid Hilton

Hilton Bonn

Map| 2 Reviews | 100% Recommended

Hilton Bonn

Berliner Freiheit 2 Bonn, DE 53111

Solid Hilton (5 Photos)

Hilton Bonn

I spend a week-end in Bonn and choose the hotel due to both the good reviews on Flyertalk and the attractive rate for a week-end in early January, which is probably the lowest season for this hotel. 

Check In

Check-in was rather quick and I got the key to my room quite quickly, as well as two vouchers for either a drink at the bar or a snack from the snack bar beside the reception (it replaces the mini bar and the choice is more varied than what you can usually find - but no hot dish or anything substantial). 

According to the agent, I had a "nice upgrade" but I could not figure what it was. I booked a Deluxe king room with river view and I got that. It was not a corner room, neither a suite so I am a bit puzzled by the upgrade. As I booked this room category hoping to score an upgrade to a suite this was disapointing. 

Room

DSC01074.jpgDSC01081.jpgDSC01082.jpgDSC01083.jpgDSC01084.jpg

There was a small present of cheesecake and brownie waiting in the room, with a personalized welcome card (featuring the hotel staff celebrating for BTHVN 2020).

The room was nice, quite large and modern enough. I was expecting a bit more dated but was pleasantly surprised. The bed was quite hard as I like, although again the regular two mid-sized folded blankets were provided. The desk was large, enough plug provided to work and recharge various gizmos. There was a coffee machine as well as a kettle and a small selection of black and herbal teas (no green though).

I was less happy with the bathroom, which feature a bathtube instead of a walking shower. The usual amenities were provided. 

Service

Service was quite good, the staff were all pleasant and customer oriented. Thanks to the bar staff who was happy to let me choose one of their dish as in-room dining, despite it not being on the in-room menu. The front staff was also pro-active and nice. Service at breakfast a bit more let down, one morning I was not proposed any hot drinks. I also read above that they were holding tables near the windows for Gold and Diamond but this was not the case here. 

Dining

The breakfast spread was quite good, a bit more extensive than the average Hilton in Germany. The quality of the food was also good. Champagne was available, usual juices plus a few less usual (Cranberry), large choice of cold cuts, usual hot dish plus fruits, yoghurt, cereal, muffins and pastries. Good choice of bread. Overall this was one of the best buffet I saw in a long time.

I had in-room dining one evening and this was not overpriced, large portion and good quality. 

Location is very good: right by the Rhein, near the Beethoven Haus tram stop (which is very convenient if coming from or leaving to the DB station Siegburg/Bohn). Most attractions are within a 15 minutes walking distance radius, the Bohn Bahnhof is quite close too. 

Solid Hilton

Would you like to write a review on the Hilton Bonn?

No, thank you.
Yes
tandiwe76 and Delectatio like this.
Old Dec 28, 2021, 2:14 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Friendly staff, reasonable location

Hilton Bonn

Map| 2 Reviews | 100% Recommended

Hilton Bonn

Berliner Freiheit 2 Bonn, DE 53111

Friendly staff, reasonable location (16 Photos)

Hilton Bonn

Since missing last year's Christmas market in Germany, I took the opportunity this year to visit.  I had initially booked both Hilton properties in Dusseldorf and this in Bonn - in the end I settled for this in Bonn because I've been so often to the one Dusseldorf and mainly because they just have me an advanced upgrade to an Executive room (even though I knew the additional benefit you get as an Elite member which was much better compared to the one in Bonn).  I was also curious to check out how the service and offerings were like since my last visit 4 years ago.

IMG_20211217_205705122.jpg

IMG_20211217_205711190.jpg

The property is located just at the edge of the (old) city centre next to the Rhine river and the river front park next to the Kennedy bridge.  About 5 mins walk from the hotel, there's lots of options of public transportation - mainly to visit the museum area and further afield to Konigswinter.  Walking from Bonn train station to the hotel is doable if there's not too many luggage or possible but taking the tram for 3 stops.  

It is about a 10-15 mins walk to the centre of the Altstadt area - which was convenient.  Other than that, the hotel is mainly surrounded by residential area and one side facing the busy road passing the Kennedy bridge.  

If you come with your own car, the hotel does provide it's own parking, but at quite a steep cost.  Parking on the streets is possible - but you will have to observe what rules apply as within that small area you have some streets (or side of the street) only for residents, some paid ticket (with different timings applicable) some with the blue parking disc.  There are some parking garages close by which charges a more reasonable rate compared to the property.

Check In

From the Hilton app, I saw that I was upgraded on the day of arrival to a riverview room - again more or less expected - I did for the sake of it, did an online check-in - again quite useless since at this property you not only have to drop by the frontdesk to show proof of vaccination but also fill in some health documents.  I arrived quite late, after 20h at the hotel and was helped immediately by at least what I noticed the front desk supervisor.  

I was given a rundown of the facilities at the property (again I ran out of time to use the spa facilities) and breakfast timing.  As an elite member, I was given 4 keycard like which can be used in exchange for items from the snack corner (next to the reception) or drinks at the bar.  This was at least to me an improvement (I did not remember having this from my last stay) - although I thought that they could have just added a small snack with the drinks (it was drink OR snack per card) without breaking the bank.  I was informed with lots of enthousim that I was upgraded to a very nice riverview room (I did find this amusing as this seems like some great upgrade) - I did ask about possibility to a suite, but as expected was turned down on this (I am not sure if the suites were free or not - I don't bother to check anymore, as it just leads to dissapointment).  I was presented to two small jars of a savory and sweet nitbits  - on this point I also found how it was offered putting the guest at a weird position - I was told to select one, but also added with you can take both if you want - why not just give the two items to the guest and if they don't one both or one of them, they can gracefully reject what they don't want.  Anyways, I just took the sweet one (nuts covered in chocolates).

IMG_20211217_215818477.jpg

IMG_20211217_205117493.jpg

Room

I was assigned a room on the 4th floor - which sadly, turned out to be a non-renovated room - as it was the same furnishing as what I remembered from my last stay.  This means the room was yes, on the dated side, but luckily it was still functional.  

IMG_20211217_205304957.jpg

The room had a working desk and a small sitting area for one.  Other than that it was the usual amenities in the room - safe, iron, iron board and tea/coffee making facilities.  The only upgraded item in the room seems to be the availability of a Nespresso coffee system (on the first day, it was only with 2 capsules, on the 2nd day, I received four).  There was also a minibar (which was empty) and a large (glass) bottle of still water - which was complimentary for Gold/Diamond members.  

IMG_20211217_204854548.jpg

IMG_20211217_204857347.jpg

IMG_20211217_204909323.jpg

Sleep quality was good - with minimal exterior noise (it did get a bit of traffic noise later in the morning) and none from the interior.  The climate control in the room was good - they had physically two separate controls for heating and cooling - which worked well and with minimal fan noise.  

IMG_20211217_204917021.jpg

Internet speed was stable and worked well throughout the different part of the hotel.  The TV, on the smaller side (I guess the size of my computer monitor at home :) ) as usual offered local and international selection.  

The room (I believe all rooms at this property) came with a balcony - which in my case - faced the busy street.   Also I found the door leading to the balcony having a defect the hinge at the top holding it could not be secured even at the usual stand to open it as a door (this is basically the type of window/door that if you turn the handle to 180deg, it should open slightly, and at 90deg, open as a door).  Therefore I only just used it once - luckily the whole unit did not fall off - when leaving it in the door mode. 

As the view, outside of standing close to the window or going into the balcony, there's not much of a river view from here - it is more of a partial riverview room (which from what I can observe it most probably the case for 80% of the rooms here (including those with full river view).  the other 20% would be facing the building opposite the hotel and city. 

Bathroom size was ok - with a combined bathtub/shower option.  Water temperature and pressure was good.  Outside of that it was functional.

IMG_20211217_204927355.jpg

IMG_20211217_204930190.jpg

Breakfast

For me, this was the best part of the stay at this property - so far the only Hilton property in this part of Germany with a good spread and quality breakfast including sparking wine (sekt).  Was happy to see that they did not remove this item and also that they did add some additional options - like make your own health juice and an automated butter machine (which I think it perfect in reducing the use of packaged butter - and also my first time seeing such a device, normally you would expect such a thing in Japan, so was quite intrigued with it) 

Service was very good from the breakfast team - with sufficient staff to deal with the rather full hotel - clearing plates and refilling items.  There was also the possibility to do eggs to order - no notice/menu was obvious on this - but asking any team member is sufficient. 

IMG_20211218_084450524.jpg

IMG_20211218_084500078.jpg

IMG_20211218_085749272.jpg

Overall

All in all, the stay was good - with friendly staff and what seem to be some improvement in Elite benefits (since no lounge is available), of course more can be done to improve this, especially since 4 years ago you basically received nothing outside of the upgrade.  

For me I would most probably return to this property if I am in the area again - hopefully with better upgrades and benefits for HHonors elite members.  (which I still find the Hilton the Hague one of the best in trying to create this experience - when more or less in the same price range and level) 

IMG_20211217_211239617.jpg

1_IMG_20211217_215818477.jpg

Friendly staff, reasonable location

Would you like to write a review on the Hilton Bonn?

No, thank you.
Yes
Zurich, Delectatio and Sisosig like this.
Old Oct 19, 2022, 12:36 am

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
The following note now shows when booking:
Please note that Hilton Bonn will close for operations as of December 23, 2022 and will cease to operate as a Hilton hotel as of midnight 31 December 2022. As a result, stays booked past this date will not accrue Honors points. Please contact the hotel directly in case of any questions.
Old Oct 19, 2022, 12:51 am

Programs: SQ Elite Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by KLflyerRalph
The following note now shows when booking:
Ouch, that's sad. The property is moving to Dorint Group instead according to local media and will receive a 10m EUR makeover.

With Marriott Bonn located in the former government district, the city center of Bonn is now without any major international chain hotel (unless you fancy Ibis).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.