Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Waldorf Astoria Berlin {DEU}

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2019, 11:57 pm

Programs: SQ, BA, QR, Marriott Titanium & LT Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat, AmEx Cent
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Is this hotel walkable to tourist streets and sights? It seems far near the zoo. Trying to decide between Westin, Ritz-Carlton, and WA.
Go with RC if you can - Westin is quite dated, although location is good, and WA won't leave you impressed (the service is atrocious).

If you want to be near KaDeWe and the upmarket shops, then WA would be the best location, but that's about all.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 7:40 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, ALL Silver,, Miles&More
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Is this hotel walkable to tourist streets and sights? It seems far near the zoo. Trying to decide between Westin, Ritz-Carlton, and WA.
The Westin Grand (Friedrichstraße/Unter den Linden) and Hilton Berlin (Mohrenstraße/Gendarmenmarkt square) are located in the same part of (East-)Berlin (government quarter/core of in 2001 extended district "Berlin-Mitte", the Eastern center of Berlin), where you can find restaurants (like Borchardt where also actors and politicians eat) and shops of all kinds and walk to the political (Reichstag etc.), touristic (like Brandenburg gate) and cultural sights/museums of Berlin, or Alexanderplatz square (there is a Hampton also by the way) in 20 mins. with its TV tower (Observation deck, bar, restaurant). You might consider staying at Hilton Berlin, excellent location opposite Deutscher Dom, one of my favourite hotels in Berlin, renovated and in very good condition.

The Ritz-Carlton is located in a built-up area (Potsdamer Platz square) which was constructed after reunification as a kind of playground for architects, controversially discussed. Sony Center. Not my favourite part of Berlin, I use to cross it by car. The hotel, of course, one of the best in Berlin, a nice French brasserie with Berlin cuisine, English bar.

Waldorf-Astoria Berlin is in the "City-West" part which is the other center of Berlin (besides "Mitte"). Walking distance to Kurfürstendamm, Tauentzienstrasse, Savignyplatz square (restaurants), KaDeWe, Zoologic Garden, English Garden, Bellevue Castle, Emperor-Wilhelm-Memorial-Church, Zoo station. If you like that area for shopping, dining, strolling around, go ahead, the WA is the best hotel there (what means I do not share the critics above).

Last edited by submonte; Mar 2, 2019 at 8:48 am Reason: strolling around, is the best, defining the two centers of Berlin
Old May 17, 2019, 11:22 pm

I'm visiting Berlin for the first time with my husband who has been there before. We're staying for two nights and he wants to stay near the Kurfürstendamm. I was initially looking at the Waldorf Astoria or Hotel am Steinplatz, but now based on this forum, also considering Das Stue. WA and DS would be a better value because their rates on Amex FHR are very reasonable and I'd get breakfast and $100 credit for less than the cheapest flexible rate at the Steinplatz. Any thoughts?
Old May 20, 2019, 3:02 am

The good news are, that Das Stue and Hotel am Steinplatz on the one side and the WA Berlin on the other side are very different. Personally I don't like the WA Berlin much. Service could be better, breakfast could be much better, rooms are good. From my point of view the only reason to stay there is that it belongs to Hilton Honors, so you can earn stays and nights there. But it's the closest to the Kurfürstendamm.

Das Stue and Hotel am Steinplatz are both boutique hotels, maybe the best ones in Berlin. You can't do anything wrong with both. Das Stue is better known as the prefered hotel of Hollywood celebtrities like Clooney or Pitt. But the Hotel am Steinplatz is on the same level and it's closer to the Kurfürstendamm. Das Stue is not too far away from the Kurfürstendamm area, but it's not part of it.

I think, you will enjoy Das Stue more.
EmpressRouge likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2019, 4:40 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors, Marriott Bonvoy, Accor, Hyatt, (Former IHG Ambassador)
Is this hotel still refusing to give full buffet breakfast to gold/diamond members ?

Also, can anyone confirm if it has a club lounge or not ?

Last edited by est-gratuite; Sep 25, 2019 at 5:27 pm
Old Sep 26, 2019, 9:26 am

Programs: DL Diamond, HHonors Diamond, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by est-gratuite
Is this hotel still refusing to give full buffet breakfast to gold/diamond members ?

Also, can anyone confirm if it has a club lounge or not ?
There is no club lounge. Cannot comment on current elite breakfast offering.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 4:35 am

I have very good news to report !
Gold & Diamond members now get the full breakfast buffet with no extra charge !

In fact you can choose between having the full buffet on the 1st floor, or you can get a 38 euro credit to eat on the ground floor ROCA restuarnt where you can order a-la-carte.

I specifically asked the reception if they had changed their policy regarding breakfast for gold and diamond members and the receptionist confirmed that they had made the change sometime in 2019. Looks like someone at Hilton listening to feedback !

I opted for the breakfast buffet on the 1st floor which is what the receptionist recommended was the better choice. Was a vert nice selection and there is also an additional menu where you can order from around 10 freshly made items free of charge (or inclusive with the fixed breakfast buffet rate if you are not gold or diamond). This list includes eggs florentine, eggs benedict, waffles, pancakes and a few other items. I had 2 items from the menu, in addition to the buffet

I think this positive change in the breakfast beneft for elite members will convince more hilton members to stay at this hotel.
The breakfast room was pretty full on the morning I was there.
The _Banking_Scot and Abidjan like this.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 8:36 am

Programs: DL Diamond, HHonors Diamond, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by est-gratuite
In fact you can choose between having the full buffet on the 1st floor, or you can get a 38 euro credit to eat on the ground floor ROCA restuarnt where you can order a-la-carte.
I assume the breakfast room occupies the former Les Solistes by Pierre Gagnaire restaurant? It's amazing that the hotel hasn't been able to fill that space since the restaurant closed in late 2016, especially given the Waldorf Astoria brand's emphasis on fine dining.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by MS02113
I assume the breakfast room occupies the former Les Solistes by Pierre Gagnaire restaurant? It's amazing that the hotel hasn't been able to fill that space since the restaurant closed in late 2016, especially given the Waldorf Astoria brand's emphasis on fine dining.
I think so...the breakfast room was on the 1st floor, while Roca was on the ground floor.

I don't think this is totally the hotel's fault, but an overall issue with Berlin itself....or at least the central areas of the city I visited.

I found the central areas of Berlin to be very quiet with little traffic on the roads and empty sidewalks. When I came here many years ago, the streets were always packed with people walking around. The most famous street kurfurstendamm (ku-damm) seemed almost empty at 8pm. Unter den Linden, Potsdamer platz and Friedrich-str were all semi quiet as well. On weekends the city seemed even more dead. There were 3 different famous restaurants I wanted to visit in Berlin, and all 3 of them were closed on Saturdays. I've never heard of a restaurant having a Saturday as their rest day until now.
Overall, the areas I visited, felt a like a semi ghost town to me.
treppenlaeufer likes this.

Last edited by est-gratuite; Feb 2, 2020 at 4:45 pm
Old Sep 30, 2020, 2:16 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
Excellent stay

Waldorf Astoria Berlin

Map| 1 Review | 100% Recommended

Waldorf Astoria Berlin

Hardenbergstr. 28 Berlin, DE 10623

Excellent stay (7 Photos)

Waldorf Astoria Berlin

I stayed there recently as part of a domestic 10 days vacations. I wanted a place where I could relax properly so not one of the get in-get out places for the night, thus removing the Hamptons. I thought about the Hilton and eventually decided to splurge it and booked a reward stay at the WA. 70 000 points per night so 280 000 points as the fifth reward night is free for a Standard Deluxe room, which is the ent

Check In

I was welcomed by a young agent, and given the key to my room, which was double upgraded to a Junior Suite. He explained me the change due to COVID: breakfast would be a la carte in the first floor restaurant, need to book time in advance for use of the sauna, 

Room

1_20200922_133729.jpg1_DSC01528.jpg1_DSC01527.jpg1_DSC01526.jpg1_DSC01525.jpg1_DSC01524.jpg1_DSC01523.jpg

The King Junior Suite is not exactly a suite but in reality, just a really big room with a section with coffee tables, sofa and chairs. There is also a make up area, a table, a walking closet. Honestly I thought this was great and there was certainly no complaint about it not being a real suite. The only downside was the visible wear and tear of some furnitures and the carpet. Otherwise this was a very enjoyable room, where I could spend some relaxing time when I am not out in Berlin.

The bed was exactly to my taste, although in that category I still think the Sofitel MyBed stays the winner for comfort and good night sleep. 

The bathroom was also excellent, specially the pressure/temperature of the shower which was near perfect for me. 

Service

The service was the real strong suite of the hotel, where every member of the staff shined by its customer friendliness and capacity to be proactively helpful. It was not the service level I am used to in Germany, clearly two notches above. One point to note is that all staff is in the age range 20-mid thirties, which explain this IMHO. 

The front desk staff was able and happy to help with various requests, even when this was another department job in theory.

The breakfast staff did a really good job despite the circumstances, with an a la carte menu (around 20 items) and passing several trolleys where you can choose fruits, yoghurt, bread, pastries. They were pro-actively refiling juices and hot drinks, without never being overtly intrusive. On my last morning I had breakfast in the restaurant but as the staff noted I had an early departure ( 9 AM) as I exited I was given a bag with a plum and a croissant "for 

Dining

Well this was my first WA so I do not have too much reference but I think this was one of the best breakfast I ever had, the quality of the food was excellent, very tasty. I did not had dinner at the ROCA restaurant so can not comment on th

Location is excellent, just in front of the U+S Bahn Zoolischer Garten, easy access to

Excellent stay

Would you like to write a review on the Waldorf Astoria Berlin?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Oct 1, 2020, 1:01 am
Accor 10+ BadgeHilton 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
Apologies for the incomplete review, there is a bug in the Hotel Review where the last sentences are cut off, hence why some paragraph are unfinished. I notified IB.
Old Aug 19, 2021, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Upcoming stay mid Sept

Hi,

I have booked a King Deluxe room here for 4 nights in mid september. ( now hotel is showing sold out)

Thanks fransknorge for the excellent photos.

I am however not a great fan of their 'flexible rate' over the weekend ( a 14 day cancellation period requirement)- bit odd given that for a stay later in september the flexible rate is a 1 day cancellation period requirement.

Anyway will report back on my stay at the end of September.

Regards

TBS
Old Sep 3, 2021, 2:25 pm

Programs: BAEC, Flying Club, HHonors, Gold Passport, IHG Rewards, Le Club Accor, Club Carlson
I am trying to decide between here, the Regent and Sofitel. Does anyone have experience of these hotels?

I am slightly leaning towards WA or Regent as I am Diamond/Spire Ambassador however the Sofitel looks very nice. For this particular trip, I am most keen to hear what kind of upgrades are offered, for my dates I think I will be able to stretch to a Junior Suite or a Corner Suite as my entry point. Does anyone know what I may be offered upgrade wise and what I may be offered as any additional benefits?

TIA for any advice.
Old Sep 4, 2021, 8:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Where are you seeing that Sofitel still has a property in Berlin? Gendarmenmarkt has been rebranded as Hotel Luc, Autograph Collection. K'damm (formerly Concorde) has been rebranded as Dorint Kurfurstendamm.
Old Sep 4, 2021, 8:08 am

Originally Posted by TheWiseOne
I am trying to decide between here, the Regent and Sofitel. Does anyone have experience of these hotels?

I am slightly leaning towards WA or Regent as I am Diamond/Spire Ambassador however the Sofitel looks very nice. For this particular trip, I am most keen to hear what kind of upgrades are offered, for my dates I think I will be able to stretch to a Junior Suite or a Corner Suite as my entry point. Does anyone know what I may be offered upgrade wise and what I may be offered as any additional benefits?

TIA for any advice.
The Sofitel near Kurfurstendamm is not part of accor anymore and is not even a Sofitel anymore, Went bankrupt during the endless covid lockdowns and was taken over by another hotel chain.

The Regent is an ex 4 seasons and has very fancy classical furnishings and decor. A nice hotel in a decent location.

Regent and Waldorf are both 5 star in appearance, but the Waldorf has a more modern look, and the Regent is more classical in style.

Getting a suite upgrade is unlikely at either property unless you book the category just under a suite room.
On a more general basis Hilton Diamond will always get you better upgrades and more benefits, than anything IHG ever will give. IHG is one of the only major hotel chains with NO breakfast benefit for its elite members. The hilton free breakfast benefit alone is worth a stay at the Waldorf.
The _Banking_Scot likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.