Wiki Posts
Search

Does a name update if you get married?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2017, 5:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: Just a lowly Blue ;(
Does a name update if you get married?

So if I book a flight in a maiden name and then subsequently update my name with BA. Do all existing bookings get updated?
Old Jun 22, 2017, 5:39 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by mdj1
So if I book a flight in a maiden name and then subsequently update my name with BA. Do all existing bookings get updated?
No. You will need to ask BA to change the name on each booking and provide a copy of your marriage certificate.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 5:40 am
Original Poster

How strange. Is there a charge for this even if it's an avios booking?
Old Jun 22, 2017, 5:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Only if you ask them to update each booking.

But all new bookings would be in your new name.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 5:42 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
There isn't a charge, as I understand it, but you do need to send in documentation, so a hassle factor.

It's sometimes easiest to continue with an existing passport and existing booking name until some suitable gap when name, passport and future bookings can be neatly aligned.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 5:45 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
If this is a honeymoon flight, I believe the accepted wisdom is to travel on maiden name and sort out passports and so on at a later date.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 5:47 am
Original Poster

thanks guys
Old Jun 22, 2017, 5:48 am
Original Poster

No, but my friend has just realised that his mrs hasn't updated her BA account and with the release of the extra flight to KEF we wanted to bag some weekend flights in December.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 5:50 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by mdj1
How strange. Is there a charge for this even if it's an avios booking?
not sure why it's strange? Otherwise everyone would be able to change their name on their BAEC account and simply transfer their re-named ticket to someone else! BA need to see proof that you've changed your name in order to be able to update your bookings.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 5:54 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
MrsNWI travelled under her married name on honeymoon, but in retrospect it would have been considerably less hassle to have booked the ticket under her maiden name and then renewed her passport at a later stage. We had to get a letter from the vicar that performed the ceremony confirming the details, and then waited several weeks for the passport office to verify the authenticity and issue a new document.

That's a very good reason why BA wouldn't automatically update your previous bookings, because they simply have no idea at what point it might be sensible for you to switch between travelling under maiden and married names, so it has to be done on a flight by flight basis.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 6:35 am

Programs: BA, SQ
I once made the mistake of booking a flight for my wife using her married name (her passport is still in her maiden name), so took a copy of our married certificate as proof.

BA didn't even notice the different name at the boarding gate! Same thing happened on the return leg too.
Quite worrying IMHO.

My feedback to BA was met with the usual cut and paste jobbie

Not sure of the system pulled her name from her BAEC account rather than the name I mistakenly booked it under.

Last edited by Wong Jnr; Jun 22, 2017 at 6:42 am
Old Jun 22, 2017, 6:48 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Yes, my wife travelled under her maiden name on our honeymoon to minimise hassle.

I took along our wedding certificate in case we needed it for anything.

I then threw away our wedding certificate on the last day by mistake.

Cue lots of hassle...
Old Jun 22, 2017, 7:19 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
We booked in the pre-marriage names and used pre-marriage passports and sorted it all out on our return. In our case she didn't change her name... I did... I changed my name to her maiden name!!! Unusual for the man to change names but perfectly permissible
Old Jun 22, 2017, 7:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Wong Jnr
I once made the mistake of booking a flight for my wife using her married name (her passport is still in her maiden name), so took a copy of our married certificate as proof.

BA didn't even notice the different name at the boarding gate! Same thing happened on the return leg too.
Quite worrying IMHO.

My feedback to BA was met with the usual cut and paste jobbie

Not sure of the system pulled her name from her BAEC account rather than the name I mistakenly booked it under.
That probably happens a lot. My wife has three passports all with different name configurations and doesn't always show the one that matches her ticket at the gate. Is the check just not to make sure you have your passport more than anything else?
Old Jun 22, 2017, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Consider if flying into/out of the USA, that the TSA is not as kind about these name changes/mismatches as European security agencies.

The advice to keep everything aligned until after the immediate flights is the soundest advice on here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.