Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Need advice for what to do at MSP for 3 hour layover

Old Jun 22, 2017, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,

In all the years I've flown with NWA and DL next week will be my first time at MSP.

I have a three hour layover at MSP Thursday on a DTW/MSP/LHR flight (was the only flight that day I could get a GU confirmed). There is a later flight out of DTW to MSP but the GU inventory wasn't available on it and not sure if I can SDC on a domestic portion of an international or not and it would only give me 50 minute layover at MSP so that would be cutting it close even if I could SDC.

When I booked it wasn't a big deal because I was planning on spending the time at the Escape lounge but as my luck has it they stopped taking PP a few days ago and are only accepting Am Ex plats for entry

I see there is a train at MSP. Would that be enough time to take the train into the city or take an Uber/Cab to Mall of America or someplace in MSP?

I've been to MSP before and would like to see the city but not sure if three hours is enough time but three hours is a really long time to spend at the airport anyway.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 9:22 am

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
3 hours is maybe just a little too short to leave the airport, unfortunately. MSP is pretty big to navigate - the layout is bizarre, kind of like a giant box, so going from one corner to the other is burdensome. And the security checkpoints can back up (although CLEAR probably helps some with that.)

At four hours, though, I'd say going to the Mall of America is feasible. It's a 13 minute ride that departs every 10 minutes by light rail each way, so that's ~50 minutes total in transit. Add 30 mins to navigate MSP, 20 mins for security and 40 mins before your flight to be present for boarding and you get 2h20min spoken for of your 3 hour layover. The remaining 40 isn't enough to do much meaningful with, but 1h40 would be...
Old Jun 22, 2017, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by BenA
3 hours is maybe just a little too short to leave the airport, unfortunately. MSP is pretty big to navigate - the layout is bizarre, kind of like a giant box, so going from one corner to the other is burdensome. And the security checkpoints can back up (although CLEAR probably helps some with that.)

At four hours, though, I'd say going to the Mall of America is feasible. It's a 13 minute ride that departs every 10 minutes by light rail each way, so that's ~50 minutes total in transit. Add 30 mins to navigate MSP, 20 mins for security and 40 mins before your flight to be present for boarding and you get 2h20min spoken for of your 3 hour layover. The remaining 40 isn't enough to do much meaningful with, but 1h40 would be...
Thanks! Something else someone in my office just reminded me off is that since I'm carrying on I'll also have luggage to deal with so going to Mall of America might be a pain.

Are there any hotel/airport/remote parking lot shuttles that have locations within walking distance of any good places to eat? I thought about doing that as well but I'm on a Delta One and I'm sure they'll start the dinner service pretty soon after take off.

I don't mine reading or jumping online at the skyclub either as long as there is seating and power outlets.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 9:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
You can visit both SCs at MSP. They're very different in style. The one at C has a self serve bar while F/G seems to have more food. Unfortunately no showers, but C has a little room for changing clothes.

I agree that the time is too short to visit MOA. Similarly for the soon to reopen NWA History Center.

MSP F&B is generally pretty good but IMO you should wait and enjoy your D1 meal shortly after takeoff. You can do the express version and have everything served promptly on a single tray.

You can only SDC at the end of international tickets but YMMV.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by BenA

Not to hijack, but I have a very similar situation coming up in 2 weeks. MKE-MSP-HNL-LNY.

I have 4 hours in MSP. There is a connection with just under an hour delay, but if I have any slight delay at all I risk really screwing up my travel plans.

I have AMX Plat fo the lounge, but 4 hours in a lounge is even a long time.

Any other words of wisdom other than MofA?
Old Jun 22, 2017, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
You can visit both SCs at MSP. They're very different in style. The one at C has a self serve bar while F/G seems to have more food. Unfortunately no showers, but C has a little room for changing clothes.

I agree that the time is too short to visit MOA. Similarly for the soon to reopen NWA History Center.

MSP F&B is generally pretty good but IMO you should wait and enjoy your D1 meal shortly after takeoff. You can do the express version and have everything served promptly on a single tray.

You can only SDC at the end of international tickets but YMMV.
I don't think I'm going to try SDCing anyway, I don't want to risk missing my flight with that short of a layover and I don't know the layout of MSP anyway.

I didn't know they were opening a NWA History center. I may have to arrange a long layover at MSP sometime just for that.

I may just check out the two skyclubs. I am surprised MSP doesn't have showers seeing it is a hub. I don't really care about a shower there on this trip anyway since I'll use the arrivals lounge at LHR to shower and change.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 10:24 am

Programs: DL DM / 2MM - Marriott Ambassador
I would NOT leave the airport before an international flight. Come hungry, check out the SKyClubs (both) and perhaps even walk a bit (thats easy!) before your long flight.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
too short to leave the airport as stated above. if you visit both lounges and wander around through the shops, the 3 hours isn't unbearable. personally i hate MSP airport because of the way it is set up and the crowding in the gates I seem to end up at the most (G gates).
Old Jun 22, 2017, 10:29 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Look out for artwork displays as you're walking around MSP. There are big display cases along the C concourse as you go to the C SC, but I've been told that the displays have expanded to other areas. There's a cute play area for kids in the same area.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 11:14 am

Golf?

They have a golf simulator. http://www.pgamsp.com
Old Jun 22, 2017, 11:40 am

Programs: DL Million Miler
I often have long layovers before intl flights in MSP and usually go to the pay-by-weight buffet near concourse G4 for a salad with a couple quarter-spoonfuls of hot offering, and then spend most of the rest of the time in the C Skyclub (pour your own; intimate, nooky atmosphere vs. the nervous-making open barn atmosphere of the F/G skyclub).

Used to play pinball, but the arcade has been replaced by a chiropractor.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 12:07 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM - IHG Diamond
I agree with others that OP doesn't have time to leave the airport. But the good news is that MSP isn't a bad place at all to kill time, shop, and just people-watch. MSP has better food/shopping options than most airports with the added bonus that almost everyone that the OP will interact with (even TSA) is actually pretty nice. So my advice is to get some exercise, walk around a bit, stop for a snack or ice cream or something, and the time will fly by.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 12:18 pm

Programs: DL 4MM; DM
I've got a 3 hour + layover coming up too. I seem to remember there is a sushi bar there. Is it any good? I've always used Ike's or the little wine bar (blanking on the name) to grab a bite when the Sky Club food wasn't interesting. It's been a year + since my last layover at MSP. Any other good options I may not be aware of?
Old Jun 22, 2017, 12:22 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by BamaGirl
I've got a 3 hour + layover coming up too. I seem to remember there is a sushi bar there. Is it any good? I've always used Ike's or the little wine bar (blanking on the name) to grab a bite when the Sky Club food wasn't interesting. It's been a year + since my last layover at MSP. Any other good options I may not be aware of?
Ike's is the best!
Old Jun 22, 2017, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by BamaGirl
The little wine bar was Surdyk's (RIP).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.