Search

LAS to DEN on UA best side to view Grand Canyon

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2017, 1:07 pm
avm
Original Poster

Programs: Qantas FF, Marco Polo Club, Life Miles, AA, Alaska air
LAS to DEN on UA best side to view Grand Canyon

My son and his girlfriend are on a quick stopover in Vegas then fly early morning from Vegas to Denver on United Airlines,

They are hoping to view the Grand Canyon from the plane, any hints on what may be the best side for the aircraft to be seated on, the flight leaves just before 6am on June 27th.

Thanks in advance for your help ,
Old Jun 22, 2017, 1:27 pm

Programs: AA PP 1.8MM, PC Spire, Hertz 5*, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by avm
My son and his girlfriend are on a quick stopover in Vegas then fly early morning from Vegas to Denver on United Airlines,

They are hoping to view the Grand Canyon from the plane, any hints on what may be the best side for the aircraft to be seated on, the flight leaves just before 6am on June 27th.

Thanks in advance for your help ,
You might want to try the Vegas thread.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/las-vegas-463/
Old Jun 22, 2017, 1:40 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by avm
... They are hoping to view the Grand Canyon from the plane, any hints on what may be the best side for the aircraft to be seated on, the flight leaves just before 6am on June 27th.
The Grand Canyon will be to the far south of the normal LAS-DEN flight path -- doubt they will have much of a view

So the righthand side (the higher letter seats)
Old Jun 22, 2017, 1:56 pm

Programs: WN, UA, AA
if you are on an ABQ-SFO or ABQ-OAK flight, sit on the startboard (right) side to see Grand Canyon.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 2:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: 1K---2,909,450 BIS miles
Originally Posted by avm

They are hoping to view the Grand Canyon from the plane, any hints on what may be the best side for the aircraft to be seated on,
Originally Posted by lvovsky
if you are on an ABQ-SFO or ABQ-OAK flight, sit on the startboard (right) side to see Grand Canyon.
The question was which side from LAS to DEN?
Old Jun 22, 2017, 2:46 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC
I looked at a flight going out LAS-DEN right now, and it shows the expected flight path. It passes to the north of the Grand Canyon, so the south (right side) of the plane should best. Keep in mind of course the flight path can always vary a bit, especially if there's T-storms around.

Last edited by tstauck; Jun 23, 2017 at 3:04 pm Reason: corrected typo "right side" of plane
Old Jun 22, 2017, 3:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
I keep retyping this as not to sound mean.

But on the off chance they well be able to select seats (I trust no status), on a flight that is not even til next week, on a route that can easily change flight to flight, and since a morning flight the sun will probably be facing them.....

If they really hope to see it, have them book a tour in Vegas..... they are not as expensive as you think.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by MY-OTHER-BROTHER-"TED"
The question was which side from LAS to DEN?
Agreed maybe they will get luck and the plane will circle right after takeoff.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 3:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: 1K---2,909,450 BIS miles
Many years ago our UA pilot came on the p/a and informed us that if we looked out the window (don't remember whch side) we could get a good look at the Grand Canyon. He also stated that he had flown everywhere in the US and the GC was definitely the best scenery that he had ever seen. ^
Old Jun 22, 2017, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
I know it doesn't answer the OP's questions, but I had stunning views of the Grand Canyon on a recenet UA Express MSP-LAX flight. Was seated in "A" seat. Totally unexpected surprise.

Last edited by MatthewLAX; Jun 22, 2017 at 5:28 pm Reason: spelling
Old Jun 22, 2017, 3:31 pm

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
I know it doesn't answer the OP's questions, but I had stunning views of the Grand Canyon on a rennet UA Express MSP-LAX flight. Was seated in "A" seat. Totally unexpected surprise.
Some have complained here about UA's cheese affinity, but I had no idea they'd gone as far as "rennet" flights! (I'm in!)

The OP should be warned that any attempt to take in an external view will likely interfere with the electronic entertainment of the unthinking masses around them.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 3:35 pm

I've had many LAS-DEN flights in the past 20 years and never have I been able to see the Grand Canyon. The flight path is just too far north to see through the haze.

In the extremely unlikely event the flight goes further south than normal, for any chance of seeing anything related to the Grand Canyon, sit on the right side so you can look to the south.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Sitting on the right also means that you have a chance of a good view of Hoover Dam, though the sun angle may not be the best. I think your viewing of the Grand Canyon will be iffy/far away at best.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 5:40 am

Programs: UA GS, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by MY-OTHER-BROTHER-"TED"
Many years ago our UA pilot came on the p/a and informed us that if we looked out the window (don't remember whch side) we could get a good look at the Grand Canyon. He also stated that he had flown everywhere in the US and the GC was definitely the best scenery that he had ever seen. ^
I was in Vegas a few weeks ago for work and on climb out we passed south of the Grand Canyon. The pilot came on and announced, 'Those of you on the left side of the aircraft will be able to see the Grand Canyon, those of you on the right side of the aircraft will be able to see the left side of the aircraft looking at the Grand Canyon."

I was kind and snapped a few pics for the people in 2 E/F.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by AugustusM
I was in Vegas a few weeks ago for work and on climb out we passed south of the Grand Canyon. The pilot came on and announced, 'Those of you on the left side of the aircraft will be able to see the Grand Canyon, those of you on the right side of the aircraft will be able to see the left side of the aircraft looking at the Grand Canyon."

I was kind and snapped a few pics for the people in 2 E/F.
post 'em.

David

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.