Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Help! Lost marriage ring& cash at AA contract lounge/flight (to merge)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2017, 7:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: JGC premier

Yesterday I boarded AA182 from PVG to LAX and also visited Air China First class lounge which is AA's contract lounge in PVG. Aside from my main wallet, i had a small travel pouch containing my pssport, several diffferent currencies and also my marriage ring. Presumably it was still there when i checked in (as was able to take out my passport), but the pouch and its content was gone by the end of the flight, with the exception of my passport.

I tried calling AA but they said that they only handle reservation and told me the only phone no they can give out was the AA lost and found department at pudong airport, which isn't even correct as it's the general lost and found dept. i tried asking PVG airport, china airline and also AA to give me the contact no of the lounge so that i can speak to the people directly (as i spent most of the time at the lounge) but no one would, with each party deflecting responsibility/ saying that they don't have the information.

This is very stressful, very bad start of my rtw trip and obviously marriage ring has very high sentimental value to me.. Does anyone have any recommendation of where to call/ other things i can try? I'm really desperate and disappointed at the level of customer service even towards OWE member.. thanks in advance for your advice

Last edited by bakaneko85; Jun 22, 2017 at 7:46 pm Reason: added space
Old Jun 22, 2017, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
I'm sorry to hear.

I'm confused by your post--are you saying you left these items in the lounge and came back and they were gone?
Old Jun 22, 2017, 8:01 pm

A Google search gave me this number for North America, 800-882-8122, good luck!
Old Jun 22, 2017, 8:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by enviroian
I'm sorry to hear.

I'm confused by your post--are you saying you left these items in the lounge and came back and they were gone?
i have no idea where exactly it went missing. All i know is that it was there when i checked in and gone by the end of my flight.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 9:00 pm

Programs: AA EP
Tr tweeting AA and ask them to assist via their premium services team in PVG

Originally Posted by bakaneko85
Yesterday I boarded AA182 from PVG to LAX and also visited Air China First class lounge which is AA's contract lounge in PVG. Aside from my main wallet, i had a small travel pouch containing my pssport, several diffferent currencies and also my marriage ring. Presumably it was still there when i checked in (as was able to take out my passport), but the pouch and its content was gone by the end of the flight, with the exception of my passport.

I tried calling AA but they said that they only handle reservation and told me the only phone no they can give out was the AA lost and found department at pudong airport, which isn't even correct as it's the general lost and found dept. i tried asking PVG airport, china airline and also AA to give me the contact no of the lounge so that i can speak to the people directly (as i spent most of the time at the lounge) but no one would, with each party deflecting responsibility/ saying that they don't have the information.

This is very stressful, very bad start of my rtw trip and obviously marriage ring has very high sentimental value to me.. Does anyone have any recommendation of where to call/ other things i can try? I'm really desperate and disappointed at the level of customer service even towards OWE member.. thanks in advance for your advice
Old Jun 22, 2017, 9:04 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by AAExecPlatFlier
Tr tweeting AA and ask them to assist via their premium services team in PVG
^
Old Jun 22, 2017, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i have no idea where exactly it went missing. All i know is that it was there when i checked in and gone by the end of my flight.
Are you saying the pouch is still there, but only your passport is in it, all the other items - the wedding ring and bills of different currencies are gone?'

When was the last time you saw the pouch? after you put your passport back in? Or you did not put your passport back to the pouch?

One possibility is you have left the pouch at the check in counter. Did you remember you put your passport back to the pouch right after showing it at check in? Or you just put your passport in your pocket or somewhere, instead of back to the pouch?

If you have put your passport back to the pouch, but towards the end of the flight you only found your passport, while the pouch together with other contents, have disappeared, then I am afraid this is not anything lost and found could help you as this appears like a THEFT has happened somewhere between last time you saw the pouch and at the end of the flight. Where did you put your personal items during the flight? Overhead bin or on the floor?

FYI in flight thefts on flights between China and Hong Kong are so common that one often read about these in Hong Kong newspapers. It is a well-known fact, much like checked bags often have been pilfered in airports like MIA or JFK, for example.

Last edited by Happy; Jun 22, 2017 at 9:26 pm
Old Jun 22, 2017, 9:54 pm

Hopefullybit is insured and even more hopefully the OP is traveling with their spouse
Old Jun 22, 2017, 9:57 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
This lounge? Even dianping doesn't have it http://www.dianping.com/shop/32522032

Tweeting AA and having their PVG team talk to CA sounds like a good idea. Alternatively find CA office in your nearest city http://www.airchina.com.cn/en/contact_us/america.shtml and having them relay a query to PVG internally might also work.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 12:28 am
Original Poster

Thanks all for the reply. I'll try re-contacting AA again via twitter, maybe someone more competent will be able to help.

Just as clarification, the whole pouch was gone, except for my passport. But as I might have not put it back inside the pouch (can't remember exactly) i can't tell for sure whether it's theft of me simply forgotting my pouch somewhere.

i had not realized the issue of rampant theft in this route as this is not one of the routes i travel frequently on, and I was traveling on J class. I had put my bag inside the side stowage compartment that you have on J seat 787-8 My seat, 5L was in front of the galley, so it doesn't take long for me to slip to the toilet..

the link posted on the lounge doesn't look like the one i visited- i think it was was probably lounge 71 (above gate 71).. http://www.airchina.com.cn/en/info/airport-guide/vip-lounge/first_business_class_shanghai4.shtml
Old Jun 23, 2017, 12:36 am

deleted...

Last edited by laagima; Jun 23, 2017 at 12:42 am
Old Jun 23, 2017, 12:37 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
[deleted, I misread you had your passport with you the whole time, sorry]
Old Jun 23, 2017, 5:25 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond
I feel so bad for you!! It stinks losing something so sentimental!!!
Old Jun 23, 2017, 5:48 am

Programs: AA EXP, TK Elite, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
Although I am sorry for your loss, it is not something that one agency can find the item
for you. (If it is misplaced, not stolen) AA, both lounges, Airport are at least four
places that could have it if it was turned in. If it is stolen then it is altogether different
ballgame !
Old Jun 23, 2017, 10:05 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Thanks all for the reply. I'll try re-contacting AA again via twitter, maybe someone more competent will be able to help.

Just as clarification, the whole pouch was gone, except for my passport. But as I might have not put it back inside the pouch (can't remember exactly) i can't tell for sure whether it's theft of me simply forgotting my pouch somewhere.

i had not realized the issue of rampant theft in this route as this is not one of the routes i travel frequently on, and I was traveling on J class. I had put my bag inside the side stowage compartment that you have on J seat 787-8 My seat, 5L was in front of the galley, so it doesn't take long for me to slip to the toilet..

the link posted on the lounge doesn't look like the one i visited- i think it was was probably lounge 71 (above gate 71).. http://www.airchina.com.cn/en/info/a...hanghai4.shtml
I'm sorry you had this stressful occurrence. Let's hope tweeting AA helps with some contact information that proves useful.

To review: you had to present your passport for check-in, likely at emigration and / or security formalities, and once again prior to boarding. My guess is you did not return your passport to your pouch at all after retrieving it for check-in, to have it easily at hand.

The travel pouch - where did you usually have that? On your person, in your bag, at hand, over your shoulder with a strap? Do you think you placed it in - or with - your bag, stored in the side compartment? If the latter, I'm guessing an alert fellow passenger (hopefully there's not an AA FA like the Air France one!) saw you leave your seat to use the lav and lifted it; at this point, if so, chances of recovery are nil.

If you hand held your pouch and left it in the Air China lounge or its lavatory, if you find the proper contact point (maybe call Air China?) there's IMO a very slim chance of recovering it if the contents included miscellaneous cash and a gold ring. But in case you're able to extend your contacts and are able to file reports, be sure to have a thorough description of pouch and contents, e.g. "LaCoste black simulated alligator (pouch? that implies just a bag, perhaps with drawstrings?) oblong folding zippered pouch approximately 8" / 20 cm by ...... containing an 18 kt yellow gold ring inscribed 05/05/05 and..."

By the way, a single instance of an opportunistic thief taking your valuables does not qualify as "rampant theft".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.