Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Can you access SkyClub without seat assignment

Old Jun 27, 2017, 10:42 am
Original Poster

I'll be flying SLC-SFO and am currently considering purchasing an E-fare ticket, however I'm worried that by doing so I may not be able to access the SkyClub. I've seen it reported that if there are no economy seats available, you'll receive a gate pass and your seat will be assigned at the gate.

If I'm confirmed on the flight but don't have a seat assignment will I be able to access the SkyClub using my Amex Plat, or do I need to have a seat assignment as well?

In my case I see no reason to book a Main Cabin over an E fare unless it risks my ability to use the SkyClub at SLC.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by Big4Flyer
I'll be flying SLC-SFO and am currently considering purchasing an E-fare ticket, however I'm worried that by doing so I may not be able to access the SkyClub. I've seen it reported that if there are no economy seats available, you'll receive a gate pass and your seat will be assigned at the gate.

If I'm confirmed on the flight but don't have a seat assignment will I be able to access the SkyClub using my Amex Plat, or do I need to have a seat assignment as well?

In my case I see no reason to book a Main Cabin over an E fare unless it risks my ability to use the SkyClub at SLC.
I don't see why not... i've been standby with seat request card and no issues at skyclub. I fortunately haven't come across staff there who aren't reasonable.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 10:55 am

Programs: DL GM
From my experience as long as you have a travel plan with Delta they dont care. I have gotten in with a non-rev standby seat request card (and Amex $29 pass) and they didnt care.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Yes you'll get in, but the bigger question is why bother with the awful E fare ticket? Or don't you care if you board last and get the last middle seat at the back of the plane?
Old Jun 27, 2017, 10:59 am

Originally Posted by rylan
Yes you'll get in, but the bigger question is why bother with the awful E fare ticket? Or don't you care if you board last and get the last middle seat at the back of the plane?
That flight is short enough where I think most can grin and bear it.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 11:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rylan
I have the DL Amex so I still get Zone 1 boarding and a free checked bag, and the flight is on a CRJ 900 so no middle seats. If it were on a 737 or 320 then I'd probably buy up, but since I'm guaranteed an aisle or window, priority boarding, and a checked bag, its not worth $10 to me to select a specific seat. It would, however, be worth it if it meant access to the SkyClub vs no access.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 11:54 am

Programs: Skymiles Gold
You aren't likely to make it to the Skyclub without a seat assignment. I've flown on many Basic Economy tickets and I've always been able to select a seat at check-in, even good window seats nearish the front (my personal favorite), and even on 739/321.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
I am a Skyclub member and have got in when flying another airline. You do not need a seat assignment to access the SC if you are a member.

4th bullet point

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...use-rules.html

Last edited by GRALISTAIR; Jun 27, 2017 at 12:36 pm
Old Jun 27, 2017, 12:35 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles KM, Sky Club/Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by zhickman
You aren't likely to make it to the Skyclub without a seat assignment. I've flown on many Basic Economy tickets and I've always been able to select a seat at check-in, even good window seats nearish the front (my personal favorite), and even on 739/321.
Incorrect, as long as you have either a Sky Club membership (can be flying any airline I believe) or membership through another means (Amex Plat/DL Reserve) and are also flying Delta then you'll have access with or without a seat assignment. The only lounges that won't let you in without a seat assignment in my experience are Centurion Lounges.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
I am a Skyclub member and have got in when flying another airline. You do not need a seat assignment to access the SC if you are a member.

4th bullet point

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...use-rules.html
OP is usung AMEX to enter, not membership.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 5:34 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by Fly_Delta_Jets
Incorrect, as long as you have either a Sky Club membership (can be flying any airline I believe) or membership through another means (Amex Plat/DL Reserve) and are also flying Delta then you'll have access with or without a seat assignment. The only lounges that won't let you in without a seat assignment in my experience are Centurion Lounges.
I think the point zhickman was trying to make was that OP would likely get an actual seat assignment at check-in, not a seat request card, even on an E fare, and so it the original question wouldn't matter.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by bennos
I think the point zhickman was trying to make was that OP would likely get an actual seat assignment at check-in, not a seat request card, even on an E fare, and so it the original question wouldn't matter.
E fares get assigned at gate, not checkin.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 9:58 pm

Programs: Free Agent
I can confirm that the dragons don't care about the seat assignment.

Source: I buy the E fare and get in with my Amex Plat. Also, have delta card getting me zone 1.

I do this on every flight. Not for the lounge itself. but rather to pilfer it of a few versions of newspapers or magazines.

Its not that i can't afford more. Its that i like not giving them any more money than is necessary to get from A to B.

If it comes down to it I'm willing to bite the bullet and take their middle seat or check my bag if necessary.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 10:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
The requirement for access using an Amex card is "same day travel" on a Delta flight. It does not matter one bit whether you have a seat assignment.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 12:25 pm

Programs: Delta DM, 2MM
Not having a seat assignment has zero relevance on accessing the skyclub.

Buying an E fare ticket is still a confirmed reservation on the flight, so assuming a same day DL boarding pass would allow you access by whatever means, you're set.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.