Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: are these connection times in YYZ feasible?

Question: are these connection times in YYZ feasible?

Old Jun 27, 2017, 6:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LANPASS
are these connection times in YYZ feasible?

Hello everyone! I'll be flying for the first time on AC and for the first time transiting through Canada, a lot of firsts!!

I'll be flying from SCL to NRT, all on AC, with layovers in YYZ and YYC on my way out and the INT-DOM connection at YYZ is a bit tight (90 minutes). Will it be enough time to clear immigration and re-check bags and security to get on the YYZ-YYC leg on time? I'm assuming my bags will be tagged to NRT when I drop them at SCL, but I guess I'll need to pick them up when I enter Canada at Toronto and then drop them again and not see them until Tokyo, am I correct?

The connection at YYC is quite a bit longer (around 4 hours), so I guess there will be no issues there.

The return trip has a long layover (NRT-YYZ-SCL) so it's no concern either, but being an INT-INT connection, are my bags getting checked through all the way to my final destination?

Thanks in advance!
Old Jun 27, 2017, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Whether you need to pick your luggage at YYZ is a good question.

If flying US-YYZ-YYC, you need not to, so I would think if continuing international from YYC, there should be no need to pick them up.

But it would be good to obtain confirmation from someone who did this.

In any event, 90 minutes should be doable. If you miss the connection at YYZ, is there (1) another flight direct to NRT or HND that's later, or (2) a flight that lets you catch a YVR-NRT or HND, or (3) another flight to YYC that still aloows fo the connection at YYC?

I assume it's all on a single ticket?
Old Jun 27, 2017, 6:48 pm
Original Poster

Yes, all on a single ticket, issued directly by AC (hence, I assume all MCTs are being met).

There is a later flight direct from YYZ to NRT or HND (not sure which). Last time I checked, there was another YYZ-YYC flight that could allow me to take the YYC-NRT leg, but it was a tight connection at YYC. Didn't check YVR, though.

I agree, it would be helpful if someone who has done this kind of INT(non US)-DOM-INT connection can give us some insight.

Are immigration lines long at YYZ? The SCL-YYZ flight lands around 5am for what it's worth
Old Jun 27, 2017, 6:48 pm

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
INT > INT bags are checked all the way through. Flash your passport and loop back to the International Gates. Piece of cake.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 6:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
INT > INT bags are checked all the way through. Flash your passport and loop back to the International Gates. Piece of cake.
even if I have the domestic flight (YYZ-YYC) in between on my outbound trip?
Old Jun 27, 2017, 8:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
This isn't INT-INT
Old Jun 27, 2017, 10:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
I don't think that SCL is one of the departure airports that qualify for baggage to be checked all the way through if you transfer int'l -> domestic at YYZ (unlike when you depart the US and select European airports), so I'd very much expect that you'd need to collect your baggage at YYZ and then drop it off again after customs.

90min is perfectly doable if everything goes smoothly, the major variable is how long it will take for your baggage to be delivered.

Is there a later YYZ-YYC segment you could book?
Old Jun 28, 2017, 3:16 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Flightaware says that the average delay on AC 93 is less than 10 minutes, so that should help you make your connection. It uses a B789, which is a reliable bird, so that should also help.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 3:47 am

Programs: Aeroplan (Silver), Air Miles, IHG Rewards (Platinum)
SCL is not ITD eligible so passenger will need to collect luggage and declare possessions to CBSA to clear Canada Customs in YYZ before rechecking the bags which won't be seen again until NRT.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 9:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jasper2009
Is there a later YYZ-YYC segment you could book?
There are a couple later flights that could allow me to make it to the YYC-NRT leg. Since I have everything on one ticket which was issued directly by AC, I'll take my chances and not book any other flights on my own... I'll let them deal with whatever happens should I miss my connection.
Given that their is a later YYZ-NRT nonstop as well, I think I'd ask for that in case the original connection doesn't work. Would AC be willing to do that re-route in order to get rid of my fast? or would they only rebook me on the same exact routing (via YYZ-YYC)?

Thanks everyone for your insights!
Old Jun 28, 2017, 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by jlarroulet
There are a couple later flights that could allow me to make it to the YYC-NRT leg. Since I have everything on one ticket which was issued directly by AC, I'll take my chances and not book any other flights on my own... I'll let them deal with whatever happens should I miss my connection.
Given that their is a later YYZ-NRT nonstop as well, I think I'd ask for that in case the original connection doesn't work. Would AC be willing to do that re-route in order to get rid of my fast? or would they only rebook me on the same exact routing (via YYZ-YYC)?

Thanks everyone for your insights!
If you miss your connection, they are usually happy to rebook you on any reasonable routing provided there is space available.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 5:08 pm

Programs: American Exec Plat, Hyatt Refugeeist, Marriot Gold, Air Canada Cattle Class, Korean Air Morning Plat
I've done BOS-YYC-NRT before with a 90 minute connection. It was tight but not unmanageable.

The AC cynic in me said..........they do it this way so I don't hit the Maple Leaf Lounge

The AC customer in me said......good, less time spent in middle airport the better.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.