Exit seat protocols BA2556 19th August

Old Aug 21, 2017, 5:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: BMI Diamond Club RIP,BAEC Silver
Exit seat protocols BA2556 19th August

I am somewhat alarmed at our experience flying from LGW on Saturday. We had reserved 12d and f the front emergency exit seats. At the gate before our priority boarding we noticed an extremely obese gentleman on a mobility scooter being preboarded.We then boarded took our seats and on completion of boarding were pleased to

note the middle seat remained
unoccupied. Then a young female flight attendant brought the previously mentioned limited mobility passenger who was now walking with difficulty with a stick and seated him in 12e. He had difficulty fastening the seatbelt even with an extension due to his extreme girth. I presumed mrs yorkieflyer was still in 12d but was by now unable to ascertain visually due to my view being totally obstructed even when attempting to see round.
The cabin crew manager on his round of inspecting the cabin called the young flight attendant to our row and explained to her and the passenger that he could occupy this seat for take off and landing only.
He was asked to move to his original seat and returned to 12e after take off and seat belt sign off. He at his own volition returned to his original seat when the seat belt sign was on and the cabin was going to be prepared for landing.
my concern is that I always understood that only able bodied passengers should be seated in exit rows in the event of an emergency which could mean a diversion and emergency landing at any point in the flight. Am I right to be concerned at what I take to be an error by the cabin crew?
Old Aug 21, 2017, 5:25 am

Your post isn't very clear.

What was the aircraft type?

Are you saying the passenger of size wasn't sat in the exit row for takeoff and landing?
Old Aug 21, 2017, 5:26 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

I'm a bit confused by your post.

He was seated in 12E but then

Originally Posted by YorkieFlyer
He was asked to move to his original seat and returned to 12e after take off and seat belt sign off
However the CSM said he could sit there for take off and landing

Originally Posted by YorkieFlyer
The cabin crew manager on his round of inspecting the cabin called the young flight attendant to our row and explained to her and the passenger that he could occupy this seat for take off and landing only.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 5:31 am

That'll teach you to reserve the window and aisle seats to try and get an empty seat between you....

edited for for clarity of intent.

Last edited by Kgmm77; Aug 21, 2017 at 6:42 am
Old Aug 21, 2017, 5:37 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
OP will need to clarify but I understand that said Gentleman of size was allowed ti sit in the exit row but also told that he could not sit there for takeoff and landing.

I believe that to sit in an exit row you must be able-bodied enough to operate the emercency exits. An emergency, while more likely to occur at takeoff and landing, can arise at any time without the Gentleman having time to return to his allocated seat. I think the BA crew broke the rules, although would be glad if any of our crew posters here could comment.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 5:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Kgmm77
That'll teach you to reserve the window and aisle seats to try and get an empty seat between you....
My thoughts too !

I don't follow OP fully
Old Aug 21, 2017, 5:44 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by Tafflyer
OP will need to clarify but I understand that said Gentleman of size was allowed ti sit in the exit row but also told that he could not sit there for takeoff and landing.
That's how I'm thinking of it now. The CAA rules are quite clear:

Seats by emergency exits

Some passengers may not be permitted to sit in a seat row next to an emergency exit. This is because if the emergency exit is needed, it is important the exit can be opened and the aircraft evacuated as quickly as possible.

The following passengers are among those who should not be allocated, or directed to, seats by emergency exits:

Passengers with physical or mental impairment or disability to the extent that they would have difficulty in moving quickly if asked to do so.
Passengers who have significant sight or hearing impairment to the extent that it might be difficult for them to respond to instructions quickly.
Passengers who, because of age or sickness, have difficulty in moving quickly.
Passengers who, because of physical size, have difficulty in moving quickly.
Children (whether accompanied or not) and infants.
Passengers travelling with animals, for example

=====================================

If he was of extreme girth the OP must have had an extremely unpleasant flight?

For those who have not memorised the entire BA timetable BA 2556 is Gatwick to Rhodes
Old Aug 21, 2017, 5:58 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
It took 3 posts before someone does not address the point of the OP but posts personal attacks and judgment. This forum is really becoming unfriendlier.
TBD and GaxxyFlyer like this.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 6:08 am

I dont think BA's sop's allow a person who needs an extention seatbelt to sit in a exit row.paging CIHY.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 6:08 am
Original Poster

To clarify, we obviously don't mind if the middle seat is occupied it is just luck or not. The point is the other passenger was clearly in need of assistance and had evidently been identified at the gate if not before and was then preboarded to his own non exit seat. He was then moved by the female flight attendant to 12e the middle seat in the first exit row on a lgw based A320. Senior crew then told the passenger and flight attendant that he could not sit in 12e and moved him back to his original seat and told him he could return to 12e after take off , which he then did. I consider this a potential hazard as I understood that only able bodied passengers could occupy exit seats for any part of the flight. He occupied the seat for all the flight excepting take off and landing
Old Aug 21, 2017, 6:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
I think pax seated at emergency exits must be capable of assisting during take-off and landing. During flight they can sit there. Also interested to hear a crew member's view on this.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 6:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fransknorge
It took 3 posts before someone does not address the point of the OP but posts personal attacks and judgment. This forum is really becoming unfriendlier.
thank you 😳😀
Old Aug 21, 2017, 6:18 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
I think pax seated at emergency exits must be capable of assisting during take-off and landing. During flight they can sit there. Also interested to hear a crew member's view on this.
Yes this is my recollection of what BA CC have said before. During landing and take off the exit rows can only be occupied by suitable persons. At any other stage of the flight anyone can sit there.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 6:19 am

Programs: not a lot
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
Sounds wrong to me. Let's assume here that big bloke is in exit row middle seat and the plane is at 38,000 ft. Pilot comes on saying big problem, going to start immediate fast descent, buckle up and get ready for an emergency landing.

There isn't going to be enough time for an able bodied person to get from this seat to another seat never mind someone who clearly had mobility issues. Upon landing the exit row could have been effectively out of use due to it being blocked.

Sounds to me like this person shouldn't have been in the exit row seat.
icegreen likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 6:20 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by fransknorge
If you are referring to Kgmm77's post then I think that there was simply a smiley missing. I certainly interpreted his remark as tongue-in-cheek rather than being nasty to the OP. May I suggest that a little humour might go a long way on this board.
dougzz and Harry Harry like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.