Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hampton by Hilton Nuremberg City Centre {DEU}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2020, 6:22 am
Original Poster
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold

Hampton by Hilton Nuremberg City Centre

Map| 1 Review | 100% Recommended

Bahnhofstrasse 16 Nuremberg, DE 90402

Hampton by Hilton Nuremberg City Centre {DEU} (4 Photos)

I booked last minute a leisure week-end in Nuremberg. COVID-19 related restrictions started to ease 4 weeks ago in Germany and in Bavaria tourism re-opened the 1st June. As I wanted to see something else than my apartment walls, I decided a week-end domestic trip was in order. I choose Nuremberg as it looked like a city with a nice Altstadt and interesting museum.

I choose the Hampton by Hilton based on:

- Past experience with the brand. The newly constructed Hamptons on Europe are better than the old HGI (except for food) with perfectly adequate room

- Location near the Hauptbahnof

- Hilton behavior during COVID-19 pandemic from March to June. The Novotel next door was as cheap but considering how Accor treated its customers they can pound sand

Check In

The hotel does not feature the Digital Key so I had to check-in. No OLCI possible on the app either.

Check-in was OK: there was glass plexiglass at the counter separating the agent from me. Obviously mask on for both of us and plenty of marking on the floor to see the 1.5 meters distance you are supposed to respect. There was also ample bottles of disinfectants and one-time usage pens available with a collection box for used pens. 

Room

DSC01257.jpgDSC01258.jpg

The room was typical of the newly constructed Hampton: cookie-cutter but perfectly functionable. I paid extra to have a sofa as I was afraid the bad weather would push me a bit more indoors. 

The bathroom was with the shower cubicle and typical fix-on-the-wall amenities. Slippers were provided in a bag at the reception with a bottle of water as part of Gold/Diamond benefits.

I can not comment on the house cleaning and whether or not there was special precautions taken. 

And then the bed side lamps make for a great hanging post to let your home made mask dry !

IMG_0334.jpg

Service

Well of course service was going to be special. First there was no restaurant at all. No breakfast buffet either. Guests should fill a form each day specifying:

- sweet or savory breakfast

- extras: hard boiled eggs, yoghurt, apple

- time of delivery

- room number

At the specified time you need to go down and a tray will be given to you with your choices. Either you can eat in the restaurant or take it to your room. 

The savory breakfast was too fat for my taste and with old and stale bread:

DSC01259.jpg

The hotel is located a throw stone away from the main train station (long distance trains and metro to/from the airport), which is itself in front of the entrance of the Old Town. There are plenty of restaurants nearby. The hotel neighborhood itself is composed of hotels exclusively.

Would you like to write a review on the Hampton by Hilton Nuremberg City Centre?

No, thank you.
Yes
Zurich and ORDnHKG like this.
Old Aug 28, 2022, 7:06 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors Diamond; A3 *Nothing ; BA Exec. Club Gold
I am there now and find the hotel lacklustre.

Yes it is perfectly functional but when staying at a Hilton branded hotel I also have some expectation of service.

1. Front desk, regularly there is no staff in sight.
2. The desk has no chair, asked on day 2 at 2pm for a chair ans the receptionist would arrange it. At 2.45 I called down and she said she would call housekeeping. Now 3pm and am still waiting for a chair so I can work at the desk.
3. Minor thing but in Germany you pay a deposit for plastic soda bottles. I had an empty coke bottle on the desk (I did not put it in the bin). Housekeeping when making up the room took it. It was technically still mine and I was going to return it at the supermarket when I check out tomorrow to get my deposit back. (It was also on the desk next to my full water bottle).

Globalist

Last edited by Globalist; Aug 28, 2022 at 7:17 am
Old Aug 28, 2022, 8:37 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
I wonder if the housekeeper took the bottle for a refund themselves or just dumped it in the regular rubbish??
Old Aug 28, 2022, 10:24 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by :D!
I wonder if the housekeeper took the bottle for a refund themselves or just dumped it in the regular rubbish??
I will never know and generally don’t like to think maliciously when housekeeping is involved.
it is a tiny thing, just 25 eurocents but the principle is that it was mine unless I put it in or next to the trash can.

Globalist
Old Aug 28, 2022, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by Globalist
I am there now and find the hotel lacklustre.

Yes it is perfectly functional but when staying at a Hilton branded hotel I also have some expectation of service.

1. Front desk, regularly there is no staff in sight.
2. The desk has no chair, asked on day 2 at 2pm for a chair ans the receptionist would arrange it. At 2.45 I called down and she said she would call housekeeping. Now 3pm and am still waiting for a chair so I can work at the desk.
3. Minor thing but in Germany you pay a deposit for plastic soda bottles. I had an empty coke bottle on the desk (I did not put it in the bin). Housekeeping when making up the room took it. It was technically still mine and I was going to return it at the supermarket when I check out tomorrow to get my deposit back. (It was also on the desk next to my full water bottle).

Globalist

Did you ever get a chair?

David
Old Aug 29, 2022, 12:38 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by DELee
Did you ever get a chair?

David
Yes, but I have had to go down to reception, finding the staff sitting outside enjoying the sun ( no one at the counter) and be a bit more firm saying that 1.5 hours is not acceptable.

Globalist

Old Aug 30, 2022, 2:20 pm

Programs: HH D
Originally Posted by Globalist
I will never know and generally don’t like to think maliciously when housekeeping is involved.
it is a tiny thing, just 25 eurocents but the principle is that it was mine unless I put it in or next to the trash can.

Globalist
Just try to think of it this way. Your room may have been cleaned by a refugee from a country or region at war, on their first job, not familiar yet with the German deposits for cans and platic bottles. They were only trying to help you by cleaning up your room. Just leave it with that thought and you'd be happy.
Zurich likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2022, 2:30 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Sisosig
They were only trying to help you by cleaning up your room. Just leave it with that thought and you'd be happy.
Whenever I intend to bring empty bottles back to the vendor on a hotel stay, I „hide“ them in the hotel room‘s cupboard (if any) or somewhere else. Nobody would take things out of your cupboard or any area where all things stocked are clearly your belongings. - Makes the situation clearer for housekeeping and for you😊. But it took me two or three entry bottles removed by housekeeping until I learned my lesson😉.
Sisosig likes this.

Last edited by Zurich; Sep 10, 2022 at 6:06 am Reason: Typo
Old May 25, 2023, 4:13 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Here is a short review of this property. I had a one night stay at this property. I had booked a twin bed room since King was not available. However due to the hotel being full, they could not find any with King. This property is a the 1st generation type European Hampton Inn - so design can seem to be on the older side. However some highlights of this property
- when checking in, I enquired about street parking and payments on saturday. The front desk agent checking me in totally took me by surprised and offered me as I was just staying 1 night and also seeing my elite status, complimentary parking for that evening. Such small acts of generosity leaves a really big impact to guests in my opinion and other properties/agents should learn from this.
- the property offered a welcome drink voucher for elite members - which is another big thumbs up in my books, a small cost but a big positive impact to HHonors elite, really reaching out to show their appreciation.
- location was actually good , walkable to the main train station and to the city centre
- breakfast staff in general was friendly
- very good sleep quality, despite my room facing the railway tracks, the windows isolated very well the sound of the tracks even in the late evening when the TV was off.

Some improvement points
- as usual in other properties in Germany, the cooling unit of the room was quite useless, not managing to cool the room down (and of course opening the window was not an option when it faces the railway tracks)
- the breakfast area was really small with a smaller spread compared to other Hampton Inns which I've stayed in Germany
- the parking lot is on the small side and shared with the Premier Inn - so it is as they have stated on their website can get full quite fast. A lot of guests will still try and squeeze theirs into the area which does make leaving early a challenge to manouever out of the parking area.

However all in all, I will certainly return to this property based on my experience.

Breakfast

Lobby area
Zurich likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2023, 8:34 am

Programs: United Platinum, Frontier Diamond, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond/ Ambassador/ Milestoner
Nuremberg Hampton Inn

Spent one night on a paid stay as a Diamond. It was about $120/ night, so quite reasonable these days.

We had an overnight train connection and it worked well for that. It is about 2 long blocks east of the train station and about a 5-10 minute walk. Not many places real close to eat. There is a pizza place in the Novotel next door.

They were quite impressed with my Diamond status and immediately brought us cold water and glasses to drink during check in. They also gave me one free drink coupon. They have a bar next to reception.

The room was and felt quite small. The two (large) twin beds left little floor space. We were also assigned a room second from the end where the building takes a turn inward and cuts off two feet of the room. There was 12” between the bed and the desk for the chair. It was like a cruise ship cabin.

We were on the train track side of the hotel but never heard anything.

My wife reported that breakfast was minimal.

A quick walk in the morning and we caught our 9:30 train.

Here later in the day, I got an email from them saying that I never paid for the room. They gave me their banking BIC number and requested payment thru that. At check in, they confirmed my Hilton American Express on file. Odd. I wrote back suggesting that they use the card on file.

Not a bad place if I were alone but a little too small and short on amenities to bring my wife again.

I might check prices on the Novotel next time. It has a rather large reception area and seems like it might be better.

Last edited by pretzlaff; Jul 21, 2023 at 9:37 am
Old Dec 4, 2023, 10:31 am

Programs: BA GLD, AA GLD 1MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LT Titanium
Just completed a three-night stay. I’m normally a Hyatt or Marriott guy and haven’t stayed in a Hampton in years, but this was the only workable option for the opening weekend of the Christmas Market.

Overall, I was pleased. The room is small, but it was clean except for some black mold on the caulk in the shower, which was a bit gross. As noted above there was no desk chair though I don’t think it would’ve fit anyway.

The room over looked the street but I didn’t hear any car or tram noise at all. Excellent soundproofing. The bed was comfortable.

Breakfast was better than I expected. It does get crowded as the buffet area is smaller.

Last time I was in Nuremberg I stayed at Le Meridien and preferred that, but this worked fine. It’s very convenient to the train.

Also, I’d like to put in a plug for Bamburg.. we took a ride up there on the train and found it charming and the Christmas Market was pleasant too.

Bedroom with fold out couch deployed. A bit tight. I forgot to take a picture of the bathroom but it was small.

Breakfast selections. Coffee, tea, and hot chocolate are available all day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.