Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Accor | ALL (Accor Live Limitless)
Reload this Page >

Review 25hours hotel The Royal Bavarian, Munich (Germany)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2020, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond

25HOURS HOTEL THE ROYAL BAVARIAN

Map| 1 Review | 100% Recommended

Bahnhofplatz 1 Munich, DE 80335

Review 25hours hotel The Royal Bavarian, Munich (Germany) (45 Photos)

After a few domestic (France) weekends, I needed to enjoy borders reopening in Europe (before they close again soon…Grrrr), and my 1st weekend with friends outside Europe has been in Munich, Germany end June. Yes I know I am late with reviews ;)

I had stayed before at a nice Mercure, near the train station, but it was still closed. The Sofitel was too expensive. And I came across to the 25hours hotel, located also at the train station in a nice building. I had never stayed before with this brand, and they joined ALL recently (with one exception in Hambourg I think), so I thought why not giving it a try. 

I received several communications by email prior to the stay, some related to Covid policies, some to hotel services.

The hotel is in a nice building facing the train station.

1_IMG_6715.JPG

IMG_6770.JPG

You need to take a lift to go one floor up to the check-in desk. Immediately, in the small ground floor entrance and taking the lift, you know you are in the “juice” of the 25hrs brand :)

1_IMG_6716.JPG1_IMG_6718.JPG1_IMG_6719.JPG

Here is an armchair case to the registration desk. Laughing about it with the front desk staff, they said “you should try it, it’s very comfortable”, and indeed it is. This hotel is a bit in a “psychedelic style”. I cannot say it’s my thing, but sincerely, I took it on the fun, fresh and modern side and I enjoyed my stay.

1_IMG_6720.JPG

Check In

Welcome by front desk staff was very nice. My Diamond status was acknowledged. I was upgraded from “Medium” room to “Extra Large”, so a double upgrade. I was informed about Covid19 measures and particularly about housekeeping that is not provided anymore by default, but the guest can request it by just putting the right signage on the door.

1_IMG_6721.JPG1_IMG_6722.JPG1_IMG_6723.JPG1_IMG_6724.JPG

Room

Corridors leading to rooms :

IMG_6727.JPG

The room was indeed XL size (ca 30 m2). You enter in fact in large space representing half of the room where the bathroom is. Strange design I would say, as you have zero privacy (except for WC of course). I was by myself in this room, so not a problem and I enjoyed the large size. Despite of plenty of space, no drawers or cabinet to put your clothes. Just some hangers above a kind of small sofa. 

IMG_6728.JPGIMG_6730.JPG2_IMG_6731.JPG2_IMG_6732.JPG1_IMG_6733.JPG1_IMG_6735.JPG

1_IMG_6734.JPG

As you can see there’s a bike in the room. It’s a real one and is at the disposal of the guests.

1_IMG_6729.JPG

IMG_6746.JPG

The 2nd part of the room has a comfy bed, but unfortunately with the typical German dual single duvets which I truly dislike. Welcome notes were placed on the bed but displaying another name than mine ! 2 tables/desk and other seating places

1_IMG_6736.JPGIMG_6737.JPGIMG_6738.JPGIMG_6739.JPGIMG_6740.JPGIMG_6741.JPGIMG_6743.JPG

Tea bags are provided but there’s nothing to make a coffee. May be the typical young target customers of the 25hrs brand only drink tea ? Other amenities included safety box, minibar with free content (still & sparkling water, beer, coke, candy bars)

IMG_6744.JPGIMG_6745.JPG

Soundproofing was excellent.

For the door signages for “do not disturb” or “please make the room”, they have a full set of funny red and green choices (see pictures).

IMG_6815.JPGIMG_6816.JPGIMG_6817.JPGfullsizeoutput_8c51.jpegIMG_6821.JPGIMG_6822.JPG

Dining

There is no lounge in this hotel. Breakfast is taken in the hotel restaurant on the ground floor. I booked a rate without BF as I am Diamond and this hotel provides free BF for Diamond members. The waiter had no clue about it but said she would ask the front desk and she come back later saying everything was OK :). BF is not a buffet (I don’t know if it’s a permanent thing or just because of Covid), but the menu is quite generous.

IMG_6752.JPGIMG_6753.JPGIMG_6754.JPGIMG_6755.JPGIMG_6756.JPG

Note that this restaurant also serves at lunch and dinner but the menu is very limited (same items are available as to go options. I mean here that there is no room service, but you can order by phone and pick-up your food at the given time and charge your room).

The restaurant has a bar part, but another bar is also available behind the front desk, one floor up.

1_IMG_6725.JPG1_IMG_6726.JPG

IMG_6771.JPG

IMG_6757.JPG

Overall

Overall it was a good stay, this style is not really my cup of tea, but I would return without hesitation if needed. I enjoyed the staff attitude, the very large room and the city location and the good price/quality ratio.

IMG_6786.JPG

Would you like to write a review on the 25HOURS HOTEL THE ROYAL BAVARIAN?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Aug 16, 2020, 12:17 pm
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
It looks .... interesting. But single duvets and no coffee machine? No thanks.
Old Aug 16, 2020, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by starflyergold
It looks .... interesting. But single duvets and no coffee machine? No thanks.
"Interesting" is indeed a good word
starflyergold likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2020, 1:13 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Accor ALL Platinum, Qatar Airways Privilege Club Gold
Thank you for the excellent review and all the photos!
I have a booking in 25hours hotel in Vienna, which looks quirky just like this one. Now I know what to expect 🙂
Old Aug 16, 2020, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

I forgot to say that late checkout (4 pm) was granted.
Old Aug 16, 2020, 8:48 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, Iberia Oro, SkyTeam - Elite Plus, Le Club Accor - Platinum
It's definitely not my style. The rooms look a wee bit like a student apartment (those curtains...), and I hate the way they've made no effort to conceal any of the wires at the TV, but that's probably me being pedantic. I am probably in their target age group, but I don't think it's the sort of hotel I'd rush to book. The free minibar is fun though!
Old Aug 17, 2020, 6:57 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Qatar Airways, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
Thanks for the review! Great to see some authentic feedback of a brand that’s always had me somewhat intrigued. I’m 31 and very much a lifestyle traveler who appreciates design and detail, but this veers very much on “trying too hard” - statement pieces are nice, but with a lobby absolutely heaving with tchotchkes and eccentricities for the sake of being eccentric, everything from nets and patterns and that small book of a DND sign - yeesh.

khabah
Old Aug 18, 2020, 5:51 am
Suspended

Programs: *A G, OW S.
I don't mind single duvets and it's what we have at home but this hotel is definitely not for me.
Old Aug 18, 2020, 11:12 am
sfo

Programs: UA MM *Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by jackr27
It's definitely not my style. The rooms look a wee bit like a student apartment (those curtains...), and I hate the way they've made no effort to conceal any of the wires at the TV, but that's probably me being pedantic. I am probably in their target age group, but I don't think it's the sort of hotel I'd rush to book. The free minibar is fun though!
Well, I am certainly not in their target age group at 80, but I think think it looks great, next time I am in Munich perhaps I will stay there, or try one of their other 25hours Hotel
Old Aug 20, 2020, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The availability of the bike has me sold!
sfo likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2020, 1:14 pm
sfo

Programs: UA MM *Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by TomMM
The availability of the bike has me sold!
Was thinking the same thing. To bad more hotels don't offer something like this. Wait till an electric scooter is offered, would love to ride one of those.
Old Aug 21, 2020, 6:09 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: LeClubAccorhotels Platinum, M&M FTL
Bike? The 25hours in Paris has a MINI Clubman for the guests, but then I guess riding a bike through Paris is even more of a suicide attempt than driving a MINI (I failed and survived, btw).
Old Aug 26, 2020, 3:30 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
Based on this review, I cancelled my upcoming stay at the Hilton Munich Park (reviews are not glowing and it is a bit out of the way) and booked a medium room at the 25H, this might be fun. This will be the yearly exception to my new "No Accor anymore" rule (plus I need to burn my points).
Goldorak and JTCz like this.
Old Sep 6, 2020, 4:15 am
Accor 10+ BadgeHilton 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
25Hours Hotel The Royal Bavarian, Munich

25hours Hotel München The Royal Bavarian

Map| 1 Review | 100% Recommended

Bahnhofplatz 1 Munich, DE

25Hours Hotel The Royal Bavarian, Munich (10 Photos)

So I spend a weekend in Munich and decided to book this 25hours following Goldorak review. I needed to burn some point and the Hilton alternative does not look really good. It turned out this was the worst summer week-end in Munich with non stop heavy rains, cold winds and general gloominess.

The hotel itself was fun and well, interesting. Service was a very strong point.

20200828_190750.jpg20200829_101014.jpg20200829_154256.jpg

Check In

Check-in was easy, on the first floor. I was upgraded from a Medium to a Large room, as a Gold member. No welcome drink or any other status recognition. There was some faff around the credit card pre-authorization: typically they pre-authorize the total amount plus 50 EUR. In my case I pay a large chunk of the bill with points but pre-authorize as if I pay a fu

Room

DSC01371.jpgDSC01372.jpgDSC01373.jpgDSC01374.jpgDSC01376.jpgDSC01377.jpgDSC01379.jpg

The room was nice, large enough (20 sqm) with a separate bathroom. The design of course suits the hotel: working typewriter, bed elevated on books (the bed is really high) with proper sheet and none of those 2 sheets devilry, beer mug in the bathroom. No bicyle in the room but the bags, belts, umbrella could be used by the guests (and returned obviously, except for the paper bag). Same for the bluetooth speaker which can be taken out during your stay.

The window could be fully open, which is a bonus point and the street is not that noisy. On the other hand the lightning is poor and it was quite dark inside (not helped by the weather).

The bed was very comfortable and I slept really well. The shower pressure and temperature were good and I really like the soap. Bathroom size was OK.

There was nothing to make tea or coffee though, but a kettle, cups and teapot was brought in on req

Service

The breakfast was a buffet, they eliminated the a la carte a few days before my arrival. The staff told me they were experimenting with varuoFrom a food point of view this was very good with items from the israeli restaurant (hummus, halva, vegetables), excellent made to order eggs, good cold cuts, fresh pastries. 

However from an hygiene point of view this was really poor. One must take gloves at the buffet entrance and discard them when leaving the buffet area. As most people do not know how to put on and off gloves properly while avoiding cross-contamination, all that is achieved is to spread any germs one might have on their hands everywhere. That does not worry me for COVID but for GI virus this is heaven. For COVID well there are plexiglass between tables and masks are mandatory, however the restaurant airflow is poor and the buffet is located quite far from the window, so very sub-optimal.

Service was really good by all staff I met, hot drink order were promptly taken and delivered, orange juice rounds common, eggs to order quickly made. The hotel was fairly busy I should note.

Gym

Very small room on the 4th floor with one elliptical bike, a few light free weights, yoga carpets. There is a stretch rack that works really well to hang a suspension kit if you travel with tha

By the Hauptbahnof so excellent for 

Overall

If one likes the boutique/hipster kind of hotel or wants good service while looking the other way at the decor then this hotel is actually quite perfect. I would be happy to return once the pandemic has cleared or without a breakfast rate

25Hours Hotel The Royal Bavarian, Munich

Would you like to write a review on the 25hours Hotel München The Royal Bavarian?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Nov 9, 2021, 7:44 am
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
We stayed here for a night a couple of weeks ago. We booked and got the "Swan Suite". It was amusing in various ways but as a hotel room not really fit for purpose. There was nowhere near enough light in general and certainly not enough to shave. There were no glasses to help us drink anything from the minibar. I strongly suspect no one from the management team has ever tried simply spending a night (let alone 25 hours) as a guest.

We wouldn't stay again.
JTCz likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.