Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DoubleTree by Hilton Rome Monti {ITA}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DoubleTree by Hilton Rome Monti {ITA}

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2021, 1:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Honors, Marriott Bonvoy, Accor, Hyatt, (Former IHG Ambassador)
Arrow DoubleTree by Hilton Rome Monti {ITA}

DoubleTree by Hilton Rome Monti
Piazza dell' Esquilino, 1, 00185 Roma Italy

Official website
https://www.hilton.com/en/hotels/fco...ee-rome-monti/
Old Aug 30, 2021, 1:15 pm
Original Poster

Stayed here quite a few times in June and July.
This is a BRAND NEW property and seems purpose built.
Really enjoyed this hotel for various reasons.

First of all, the staff are really trying hard. Both reception and the breakfast staff are great. Customer service here is some of the best I've had in Italy. Really rare to find that in Italy. Felt like I was treated (and valued) better here, than I was at the 5 star properties I stayed at in "Via Veneto" such as the Westin Excelsior and the Marriott Flora, or even the Rome Cavalieri Waldorf Astoria. Honestly, the Doubletree staff here just seem to be trying a lot harder (or are trained better) despite not even being a 5 star hotel.

Location wise it's also not bad....it close enough to walk and from to the main train station of Termini with luggage, but far away enough from the station that you don't feel you are in a rough or shady area of town. The embassy of Argentina is just next door to the hotel. The Basilica of Santa Maria Maggiore and the Italian interior ministry (Palazzo del Viminale) are both very close by. Colosseum is a 15 to 20 min walk away. PAM supermarket (open late) a 2 min walk away. Various restaurants in the area to chose from.

The rooms are very modern with fridges and walk-in showers.
Windows CAN be opened for fresh air.
Most rooms (even the inner courtyard ones) get lots of natural sunlight cause of the asymmetrical shape of the hotel.

Only negatives:

-Not much of a view no matter where your room is located. Even the rooftop bar does not really have much of a view.
-Some people may not like the atmosphere in the streets around the main train station Termini. Especially at night it might not feel 100% safe walking around.
-Rooms facing the street can be noisy if you open the window...if this is a concern ask for an inner courtyard facing room....These are very quiet, but also get a lot of sunshine because of the asymmetrical way the hotel was built.
Schwann, MP001, wizla and 4 others like this.

Last edited by est-gratuite; Aug 30, 2021 at 2:22 pm
Old Aug 31, 2021, 1:48 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
I stayed there in August and will write a full review once I have time, but globally I was impressed and found it the best hotel I ever stayed in Italy.
:D!, est-gratuite and jefftiger like this.
Old Sep 4, 2021, 1:30 am
Accor 10+ BadgeHilton 10+ Badge

Doubletree by Hilton Rome Monti {ITA}

Doubletree by Hilton Rome Monti

1 Review | 100% Recommended

P.za dell'Esquilino, 1 Rome, IT 00185

Doubletree by Hilton Rome Monti {ITA} (5 Photos)

Based on the fact this was a recently opened hotel, the price, the location in Termnini close to all tourist attractions and the few reviews already on TripAdvisor, I choose this hotel for a leisure stay in Rome. This was a good idea as the hotel was good, with good service and good food. Recent rooms were definitely nice. My experience with hotels in Italy was poor so far and this was a welcome change. 

Check In

I was granted early check-in at 11 AM despite arriving announced. Check-in was smooth, the clerck gave me my key, a voucher for 15% reduction valid at all restaurants and another voucher for 500 pts reward if I spend more than 25 EUR at the restaurants during the stay. 

I was not upgraded, I booked a Standard Queen room and had that. The agent told me the hotel was full. Checking the app a bit later there was one Superior King room for sale, and apparently just one. It might be a cache and the hotel was truly full, maybe. 

Room

DSC02234.JPGDSC02235.JPGDSC02236.JPGDSC02237.JPGDSC02238.JPG

The hotel is recent and it shows: the room are modern, nicely decorated, without trace of wear and tear. The standard room is quite small, nearly New York small. If I put my luggage on the floor I was blocking access to the bed or the windows. Window that can open indeed. Note the light, those pictures were taken a bit after 11 AM. This particular room was on the inside, towards the internal courtyard. Opening the curtains more helped a bit but in general this was a fairly dark room. 

The bed was a proper queen bed, comfortable. The pillow were at the right size and right comfort for me, I had great night. However the AC can not be switched off, it is on permanently and always automatic. Meaning to turn it off one needs to set the temperature to something high, so it would simply turn off as it cools only. 

Switches were a bit annoying: there was a group of 3 switches at the entrance and beside the bed, with a master, in a 2*2 layout, and you need to use trial and error to figure out what they do initially. Same in the bathroom. So you need to remember main light was bottom left in the bedroom and top right in the bathroom. Not very convenient.

Inconvenient also was that there was no electric plug by the bed, only USB plug. Electric plugs were by the small table near the TV. 

Tea and coffee making facility provided, a safe was provided. Water bottles were provided every day. 

The bathroom was modern, good water pressure and good temperature control. Standard amenity provided. Nice to have a towel rack, this is so often missing. 

Service

I could not fault the service: the check-in desk staff was young and customer oriented, same at the breakfast or housekeeping (water was provided daily, still and sparkling). The few interactions I had with staff were all pleasant and went well. 

Dining

Breakfast was very good. It was a typical buffet but due to COVID regulations, the staff were serving you, you had to point what you wanted. The choice was large enough for me, quality too. It was more typical continental than italian, but this was fine for me.

The hotel also has a rooftop bar and restaurant (did not try) and a cafe. I had lunch at the cafe and this was not good: a very dry salad. Maybe it was my choice ? The pastries looked delicious though.

The location was very good. It is in Termini but far enough from the station (5 blocks) that the neighborhood is nice. The hotel is on the doorstep of the Basilica Papale di Santa Maria Maggiore. It is quiet despite being a large street (the hotel is very well isolated anyway). The station is a 10 min walk with luggage. There are three metro stations nearby (Termini, Republica and Cavour).

The Roman Forum is 15 minute walking, the area near the Trevi fountain is maybe 20 minutes. There are a lot of restaurants around, of different types. The Via Urbana in particular had nice restaurants of all sorts, nicer than Via Cavour. I do recommend, when coming back to the hotel late after a full day, the Gelateria S. M. Maggiore (organic ingredients, no preservatives, nice choice of flavours). 

Overall

This will be a very good addition to the Hilton brand in Rome and hopefully an alternative to the very pricey Curio Collection nearby. 

Doubletree by Hilton Rome Monti {ITA}

Would you like to write a review on the Doubletree by Hilton Rome Monti?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Jan 22, 2022, 10:06 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist, Hilton Gold
Stayed at here for 2 nights back in October. I will echo a lot of fransknorge's comments with it being in a good location (walkable to tourist sites, bus stop, and Termini train/metro station) with a nice neighborhood, plus I second the recommendation to the Gelateria SM Maggiore shop, and can recommend the laundromat (Lavanderia Wash Point) across the street from it.

I was not upgraded as a Gold member from my base level room. The cookie was different from what I was used to in other Doubletree stays (dark brown chocolate dough with white chocolate chip bits) but I like the fact they changed it up and it was still tasty overall. During my stay I did notice a tour bus parked outside the front, and the nice front desk agent did say that business was doing well at that point (I think the hotel only opened in April 2021?). It's a modern hotel and furnished nicely but I can't understand the philosophy/line of thought the interior designer was using. Lots of plants and furniture in the lobby made it feel a bit cluttered and lots of tans/browns on the walls and flooring- try to bring a sense that one is outside with nature? Also not sure what they were going for with the TV in the room being hung with leather straps or the choice of the lamp/furniture fixtures with the thin painted metal bars. Is there a "modern/chic" side of Italia here that I am not aware of? Service was good overall, but avoid the bar. The fact that it was a rooftop bar was nice but the layout of the outside patio area is rather narrow with at best okay views, but the service was unacceptably slow. It took an hour just for one overpriced drink (16 or 22 EUR, can't remember) and some cheap dry canapes and it was not like they were busy, maybe at most 2 tables and max 10 guests.

Overall, a good solid choice, and reasonably priced too for what it is (60000 HHonors points or 216 EUR per night were the rates when I booked). Also stayed at the Curio Collection hotel, will have a post in that topic with my thoughts.
Sisosig likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2022, 1:14 pm
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
I note that this thread is not listed here:

LINKS for Hilton Honors Hotels in Italy {ITA}

Anyways, just spent two nights in this property, would definitely recommend it. A more detailed review when I have time.
The _Banking_Scot likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2022, 12:47 pm
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
This is very nice and new (opened in April 2021) property within easy walking distance from the Roma Termini train station as well as Colosseum, Forum Romanum etc. It is not very cheap, and will most likely become a bit more expensive as travel picks up post-pandemic (or when pandemic is endemic, however you want to express it).

I booked Superior Room, and was upgraded to Junior Suite two days before check-in.

Check In

Friendly staff at the check-in, and the room indicated at the digital check-in (212) was confirmed. The person at the check-in explained the normal stuff: breakfast times etc. The lobby has lots of --- elements I guess you could call them, in addition to normal tables and chairs. Now, I happen to think it works. But maybe YMMV situation...

lo

Room

The Junior Suite was relatively large (for Rome, or any large European city, I guess). A king bed, sofa & sofa table, two large windows etc. Everything was still almost like new and very stylish -- the room was not like the lobby. Also some nice art on the walls. Lavazza coffee maker. The room was on the second floor, but there was very little sound from outside.

The bed was very comfortable, slept like a baby (maybe the great food and wines also helped, who knows).

Bathroom was large, no bath though. The normal Crabtree and Evelyn toiletries.

I have to gripe about the non-intuitive light switches. Four buttons, OFF was easy, but the other three were not.

Dining

Only had breakfasts and a G&T in the rooftop bar. The breakfast was quite nice, in buffet style. Good selection of different foods. The staff would make you a cappucino etc. if you asked. Not very wide selection of food, but quality was pretty good or better.

As noted before, you can walk to many tourist-y places from this property AND to/from Roma Tremini train station (about five minutes, even with a piece of luggage). The area has several good restaurants and so on. I mean, you can walk to several Michelin-starred places in less than 15 minutes.

Overall

This is not a budget hotel. I paid about $200 a night in February. In high season this hotel will be more expensive. But it is a nice property with an excellent location, good rooms and a pretty decent breakfast. If you want to visit Rome and stay at Hilton property, go ahead! This is not a Waldorf Astoria, but a very decent hotel.
est-gratuite and seapad like this.
Old Jul 15, 2023, 10:18 am

Just completed a stay here with 2 connecting rooms. By far the nicest Doubletree I've ever been to - surprised actually it is flagged as such when it probably could be under a traditionally much nicer branding. Everything was fantastic - the rooms were big, spacious and well thought out. The location worked great for us - about a 10 min walk from Roma Termini and lots of little restaurants in the nearby neighborhood (walk opposite direction from train station)! Easy to get taxis outside and a quick taxi ride to any tourist site we wanted to get to (probably can also walk but the heat was brutal over our stay). Most taxis had not heard of this hotel before, so needed some direction on return trips, probably because it is so new. Absolutely would stay again.
frmnj likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2023, 1:01 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by slariz
Just completed a stay here with 2 connecting rooms. By far the nicest Doubletree I've ever been to - surprised actually it is flagged as such when it probably could be under a traditionally much nicer branding. Everything was fantastic - the rooms were big, spacious and well thought out. The location worked great for us - about a 10 min walk from Roma Termini and lots of little restaurants in the nearby neighborhood (walk opposite direction from train station)! Easy to get taxis outside and a quick taxi ride to any tourist site we wanted to get to (probably can also walk but the heat was brutal over our stay). Most taxis had not heard of this hotel before, so needed some direction on return trips, probably because it is so new. Absolutely would stay again.
Plus breakfast was very impressive.
Old Jul 16, 2023, 6:42 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by SPBanker
This is not a budget hotel. I paid about $200 a night in February. In high season this hotel will be more expensive. But it is a nice property with an excellent location, good rooms and a pretty decent breakfast. If you want to visit Rome and stay at Hilton property, go ahead! This is not a Waldorf Astoria, but a very decent hotel.
Yes, it is more expensive now. I see rates roughly 500 - 1000 euros a night for September and October!
Old Jul 16, 2023, 7:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
Yes, it is more expensive now. I see rates roughly 500 - 1000 euros a night for September and October!
Anything more than 250 euro a night for this place and you are much better off staying at the Waldorf Astoria in Rome which has bigger rooms, a huge outdoor pool, huge buffet breakfast, and amazing views over the city.
The Doubletree is a good hotel, but never worth more than 250 per night.
restlessinRNO likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2023, 12:44 am
Accor 10+ BadgeHilton 10+ Badge

The WA location however is a killer, on top of a hill with no public transport, difficult access to pretty much everywhere.
Old Jul 17, 2023, 2:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fransknorge
The WA location however is a killer, on top of a hill with no public transport, difficult access to pretty much everywhere.
It's true the Waldorf Astoria location is not walkable anywhere, but the large size of the rooms, huge breakfast buffet, enormous swimming pool, luxurious setting, and amazing views make up for all that. Also taxis to the city centre will be no more than 15 to 20 euro each way, and the Waldorf even has a free shuttle bus. Yes, it's on a somewhat remote hill, but if you look at the map it's still pretty central, being less than a 10 min drive to the Vatican City.

As good as the Doubletree is, it doesn't have any of the above perks, and isn't a 5 star hotel.
Paying hundreds of euros more just to be near the main train station and a few tourist sites, isn't worth that.

Last edited by est-gratuite; Jul 17, 2023 at 2:27 am
Old Jul 17, 2023, 11:13 am

Programs: UA 2MM
I note prices at the W-A Rome vary from 424 euros to over 2000 euros in October. I think I was just surprised at the cost of hotel rooms in Rome this fall. I realized of course that I could stay in the suburbs and take public transit into town every day.
Old Jul 26, 2023, 4:00 pm

Programs: Lots of them, no status
This place is already falling apart, and the staff don’t seem to care.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.