Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Wasserturm Hotel Cologne, Curio Collection by Hilton {DEU}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2022, 1:53 am
Original Poster
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold

Wasserturm Hotel Cologne, Curio Collection by Hilton

Kaygasse 2 Cologne, DE

Wasserturm Hotel Cologne, Curio Collection by Hilton {GER} (7 Photos)

Wasserturm Hotel Cologne, Curio Collection by Hilton

I wanted to try this hotel, which opened very recently (End of February) in Cologne. The hotel is located into a former water reservoir, completely renovated inside. 

The architecture is very distinct and inside it shows: all rooms are shaped like a pie. The lobby is very bizarre and looks like a mini-Moria: lots of columns everywhere and a bit maze like. The lobby is quite uninviting, they tried to make it better by separating areas on the outside of the circle with hard wood floor and furnitures but it does not work. There is a lounge but it is not an Executive Lounge, just a place where one can get a coffee. 

20220304_172849.jpg

Check In

Check-in was quick, nothing special to say. I was upgraded to a King Deluxe Aqua room from a Queen Standard Aqua room. The key to the rooms are in wood. 

20220305_084534.jpg

Room

The room was big enough, however I was not impressed. The room is not very functional depending on your needs. 

The positives were the comfortable bed and the very nice shower and bathroom. For once the sink was not stupidly designed and functionable, both in depth and with a faucet located properly.

The negatives are quite significant for me:

- there are no plugs near the desk, the plug are near the bed in some sort of cavity on the side designed to put a phone to charge. But the cavity is too small for anything else than a phone (no laptop, no tablet) and even with a laptop, the charger overflow on the bed. This is really badly design

- the desk is OK but the chair is not: too low, too deep. Completely impossible to use while working at the desk. Since there is no plug at the desk, impossible to work in those rooms. 

- Quite dark, not enough lights. 

1_DSC03147.JPGDSC03148.JPGDSC03149.JPGDSC03150.JPG1_DSC03151.JPG

Service

Service was very hit and miss. The hotel is new but so is the staff and I wonder about their experience. In general the service was proportionnal with the age of the staff. At breakfast they were good, the desk staff on the other hand was really inexperienced and seemed overwhelmed with nothing: I order a pillow from the pillow menu and this turns into a mini drama (not bringing it within one hour, when they do it is the wrong type, then turns out they do not have the one I request, ...), the check-out was completely wrong (wanted to charge me for breakfast). 

Dining

The breakfast was good and is one of the hotel strong point, with a buffet slightly more extended than what I would expect for such an hotel in Germany. They do not have eggs on order though and the coffee is just from some standard machine. But the pastries were good, they make some bowls (bircher musli, some spinach and egg, chia pudding, bread pudding).

I did not try neither dinner nor room service. The room service menu is interesting but I am afraid the portions are small, based on the description. 

Location is good for Cologne, near the Poststrasse U-Bahn station. Easy access from the Bahnoff (3 U-Bahn station on line 16 or 18), walking distance to the Schokolade Museum and Neumarkt or Heumarkt. 

Overall

The hotel could be a good choice depending on your needs but I am personally not convinced. For a cheap price and if no need to work this would be good enough, otherwise I would choose an alternative. 

Wasserturm Hotel Cologne, Curio Collection by Hilton {GER}

Would you like to write a review on the Wasserturm Hotel Cologne, Curio Collection by Hilton?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Mar 7, 2022, 3:36 am

Wow, that is cool - thanks for the report! From the name, I'd just figured it would be *near* a historic water tower, not *inside* one!
Old Mar 9, 2022, 6:55 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Melia Silver, NH silver, H10 Class
Originally Posted by fransknorge
Introduction I wanted to try this hotel, which opened very recently (End of February) in Cologne. The hotel is located into a former water reservoir, completely renovated inside. The architecture is very distinct and inside it shows: all rooms are shaped like a pie. The lobby is very bizarre and looks like a mini-Moria: lots of columns everywhere and a bit maze like. The lobby is quite uninviting, they tried to make it better by separating areas on the outside of the circle with hard wood floor and furnitures but it does not work. There is a lounge but it is not an Executive Lounge, just a place where one can get a coffee. Check In Check-in was quick, nothing special to say. I was upgraded to a King Deluxe Aqua room from a Queen Standard Aqua room. The key to the rooms are in wood. Room The room was big enough, however I was not impressed. The room is not very functional depending on your needs. The positives were the comfortable bed and the very nice shower and bathroom. For once the sink was not stupidly designed and functionable, both in depth and with a faucet located properly.The negatives are quite significant for me:- there are no plugs near the desk, the plug are near the bed in some sort of cavity on the side designed to put a phone to charge. But the cavity is too small for anything else than a phone (no laptop, no tablet) and even with a laptop, the charger overflow on the bed. This is really badly design- the desk is OK but the chair is not: too low, too deep. Completely impossible to use while working at the desk. Since there is no plug at the desk, impossible to work in those rooms. - Quite dark, not enough lights. Service Service was very hit and miss. The hotel is new but so is the staff and I wonder about their experience. In general the service was proportionnal with the age of the staff. At breakfast they were good, the desk staff on the other hand was really inexperienced and seemed overwhelmed with nothing: I order a pillow from the pillow menu and this turns into a mini drama (not bringing it within one hour, when they do it is the wrong type, then turns out they do not have the one I request, ...), the check-out was completely wrong (wanted to charge me for breakfast). Dining The breakfast was good and is one of the hotel strong point, with a buffet slightly more extended than what I would expect for such an hotel in Germany. They do not have eggs on order though and the coffee is just from some standard machine. But the pastries were good, they make some bowls (bircher musli, some spinach and egg, chia pudding, bread pudding).I did not try neither dinner nor room service. The room service menu is interesting but I am afraid the portions are small, based on the description. Location Location is good for Cologne, near the Poststrasse U-Bahn station. Easy access from the Bahnoff (3 U-Bahn station on line 16 or 18), walking distance to the Schokolade Museum and Neumarkt or Heumarkt. Overall The hotel could be a good choice depending on your needs but I am personally not convinced. For a cheap price and if no need to work this would be good enough, otherwise I would choose an alternative.
Thanks for the review. I actually cancelled my booking a few weeks ago after receiving the exact same upgrade (in fact a queen aqua standard room was the exact same price as the 'upgraded' king aqua deluxe for my dates), even though many other room types were available (and they didn't want to give me anything better).
I found this very poor for a hotel that just opened, being almost empty. I might give them another try in the near future but would cancel for the same reason if the hotel is almost empty again (I think they can do better for a Diamond member). I am always treated nicely at the Hilton Cologne so that would be my backup plan.
Old Mar 9, 2022, 8:17 am

Originally Posted by Delectatio
Thanks for the review. I actually cancelled my booking a few weeks ago after receiving the exact same upgrade (in fact a queen aqua standard room was the exact same price as the 'upgraded' king aqua deluxe for my dates), even though many other room types were available (and they didn't want to give me anything better).
I found this very poor for a hotel that just opened, being almost empty. I might give them another try in the near future but would cancel for the same reason if the hotel is almost empty again (I think they can do better for a Diamond member). I am always treated nicely at the Hilton Cologne so that would be my backup plan.
Interesting perspective. In weeks of staying at German Hilton properties as a Diamond member (including Hilton Cologne), I don't think I've ever received an upgrade of significance - usually just a standard room on a "special floor" with a robe in the closet. Anecdotally via FT, I'd always heard that this was just standard for the region - that upgrades weren't common.
Old Mar 9, 2022, 8:26 am
Original Poster
Accor 10+ BadgeHilton 10+ Badge

In my case the hotel looked empty when I booked, however in between a wedding party booked and except for Suites (which could have been an upgrade and a nice gesture), the hotel was full.
In Germany I am often upgraded to just the superior category, typically from a normal to an Executive or "with View" room. The only significant upgrade in Germany I had was at the WA Berlin, upgrade to a Junior Suite.
Old Mar 9, 2022, 8:33 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
I actually cancelled my booking a few weeks ago after receiving the exact same upgrade (in fact a queen aqua standard room was the exact same price as the 'upgraded' king aqua deluxe for my dates).
If they were the same price why didn't you book the king, looks like the next category is called a suite so they would have had to move you to one of those or pretend no upgrade was possible
Old Mar 9, 2022, 8:46 am

Originally Posted by arlflyer
Interesting perspective. In weeks of staying at German Hilton properties as a Diamond member (including Hilton Cologne), I don't think I've ever received an upgrade of significance - usually just a standard room on a "special floor" with a robe in the closet. Anecdotally via FT, I'd always heard that this was just standard for the region - that upgrades weren't common.
At the Hilton Cologne I usually get a junior suite or a king deluxe with a view (a 4-5 category upgrade, their deluxe rooms are huge rooms with a view and a large couch, more like a junior suite despite the name) and drink vouchers and I love their breakfast. At the Hilton Dusseldorf I have received a junior suite quiet a few times as well, their executive lounge replacement has also been very decent, for me good enough to choose Hilton above other alternatives hotels.

But I passed the stage of paying premium price for a hotel just because it has a Hilton sign above the entrance door and receive nothing for my loyalty except a free bottle of water (free in many 3* hotels), a free breakfast (many very decent non-chain hotels give this for free when you book direct on their website) and an upgrade that's not a real upgrade (or a room that costs 5€ per night more...).
Especially last year when our Diamond status was extended anyway, I tried many non-Hilton hotels, I was often pleasantly surprised! I pay all my travel out of my own pocket and lately, it's my wallet that decides...

I would always pick a Hilton group hotel if I feel my Diamond benefits are worth it and my loyalty is rewarded, if not, I go elsewhere...
Old Mar 9, 2022, 8:51 am

Originally Posted by :D!
If they were the same price why didn't you book the king, looks like the next category is called a suite so they would have had to move you to one of those or pretend no upgrade was possible
I didn't book the king at the time of booking because it wasn't available then, a few days before arriving king rooms became available but I didn't change my booking (the price was the same and I 'expected' to be upgraded to something above that anyway).
This hotel has several junior type rooms (aqua junior suite, king junior suite, duplex junior suite...) I think they could have made an effort to give me one of these (many were available). I find this a poor show for a new hotel.
Old Mar 9, 2022, 10:34 am

But I passed the stage of paying premium price for a hotel just because it has a Hilton sign above the entrance door and receive nothing for my loyalty except a free bottle of water (free in many 3* hotels), a free breakfast (many very decent non-chain hotels give this for free when you book direct on their website) and an upgrade that's not a real upgrade (or a room that costs 5€ per night more...)
Yes, it is true, and while I note that I haven't received upgrades of substance at German Hilton properties, I'm not usually too bothered because it's often been during low season (e.g. around Christmas) when I am redeeming points at low levels or paying very modest room rates. As far as going out of chain, I too agree - for example, in Germany and Central Europe, any city with a Kempinski property usually tempts me to reach for the wallet...
Delectatio likes this.
Old May 8, 2022, 7:58 pm

Appreciate the recent feedback. Based on what I read, between this and Hilton Cologne (I read the review thread as well), it seems that the latter a better choice then? ty.
Old Jul 5, 2022, 9:43 am
Original Poster

I am back there and holy crap their staff is really really bad. I got upgraded to a Junior Suite this time, which is nicer and more practical than the King Deluxe, the chair are comfortable and better, although here are no desks in the Suite, just some tables. But again no plugs near the tables, there are some near the bed and this time not in a small cubicle too small for a phone.
But one more time, a simple request to the staff (again an order from the pillow menu) is not done. There was a nail, fallen from gods know which furniture on the floor and I walk on it barefoot. I have a small cut, light bleeding but not deep. No apology from the staff, a simple “I will tell technical”.
hugolover likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 1:38 am
Original Poster

The problem was not solved to my satisfaction as basically the staff I informed of the incident did nothing: there was no check where the screw come from, no cleaning, no follow up (I had to go to the doctor in emergency). Rest of the stay was as the beginning: breakfast staff do not take order request (there is now a small menu at breakfast on top of the buffet), young desk staff with zero experience.
Breakfast is still excellent.
Here are pictures of the Junior Suite:

hugolover and ithinkurdumb like this.
Old Dec 21, 2022, 8:18 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Stayed here for a night. Rate was approximately €108 for the night. I booked a Queen Aqua Standard and was upgraded to King Aqua Deluxe.

The architecture of this place is just amazing and they've done an excellent job in the conversion.

Check in was really good - despite arriving at about 5pm the night manager checked me in. It was clear he had great pride in the hotel and indulged me in a little history of the hotel. Apparently it (the water tower) was designed by a British company and was the last of its type to be built. Anyway he was a nice chap and it was a positive first impression. He invited me to take glüwhein and christmas style German marzipan filled pastry sweets set-up in the lobby.

My room was pretty big and the bed was comfortable. My only criticism was that the room was very dark - the lighting didn't do much to improve matters. The windows have a door that opens up to an external walkway so I assume you can walk around the perimeter of the water tower. I noticed some people walking past so best to keep the curtains closed if you don't want to be looked upon!

View from view with access door:

The bathroom was large and had an oversized walk in shower. They had their own toiletries rather than the typical Hilton ones.

In the room was a drinks voucher, a fridge magnet and some nuts. I went to the bar thinking you'd get a choice of drink but it was just a custom welcome cocktail.

There was a reasonable spread at breakfast which is served from a room on the ground floor. You could also order some items off a menu. I had some French toast.

All the staff I encountered were really friendly and professional. I was granted a 2pm late checkout.
hugolover likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2023, 7:27 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Great reviews everyone! Any recent stays? We're considering this property in late November. Haven't been to the Hilton before either though.
Old Oct 1, 2023, 4:48 am

Programs: HH D
Stayed twice this year, when the rate was at its lowest (about 109 euros). Booked a standard room. On my first stay, I was upgraded to Schwann's room (post 13) but one floor higher, so no walkway and a better view of the Cologne Dom (not many rooms seem to have that). The second stay got upgraded to a junior suite as in post 12 by Fransknorge. There's a noisy club on the top floor, preferably serving cocktails, but you didn't hear anything from it in the room. Lots of local youths are attracted to this club. It is supposed to be where you have dinner too, but the music is just too loud to enjoy your avocado salad. The club has an outside terrace, I would have liked to try it, but it felt a bit odd to stand there among all those summer-dressed students / young ladies on a late Sunday afternoon. Breakfast is served in the ground floor level restaurant, a very attractive setting, and pretty good options. Garden seating is available if the weather allows it. One floor is dedicated to a fitness center and sauna,
In one of Schwann's pics, you'll notice the glass roof of a public indoor and outdoor swimming pool (Öffnungszeiten - Agrippabad). I planned to try it but never got to that. Last winter the outdoor section was closed to save energy, so probably this wasn't the case in the years before, decided to try it the next time. Stayed again in June, and noticed that when I arrived around noon there weren't that many swimmers. The room wasn't ready, but could drop off my luggage. Later in the afternoon, the pool was very crowded, with lines to get in.

Overall, I was pretty happy with my stay because of the upgrades. The garage has several Diamond parking spots close to the entrance/elevator. My June visit was on a Sunday when I was able to save 24 euros by parking for 5 euros in a nearby street. That's on Sundays only, just one small section of the road on Blaubach. Fully justified from a historical perspective, because it is in front of an ancient section of the Roman city wall. I mean: parked in front of a wall that is over 2000 years old, slept in a water tower. I bet 99% of the world's population can't say that! My only regret is that I did not swim in the Agrippabad next door, named after the Roman general who was mainly responsible for the founding of "Colonia Claudia Ara Agrippinensium".

Last edited by Sisosig; Dec 30, 2023 at 3:40 pm Reason: Later found out that street parking on Sunday was 5 euros (not free)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.