Search

Best Biz LHR-NYC?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2024, 10:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM
Best Biz LHR-NYC?

Evening BA folks,
Refugee from the far-off land of DL/Skyteam here.

I'm breaking the chains and going to be trying out the competition and I'm seeing some appealing fares from MRS/NCE to NYC over the summer, and wondering how the equipment/experience is.

I'm seeing mostly 77s with both AA and BA options although (There's also a 78 going to EWR, but that seems to price out 700E more than JFK....makes me wonder if that equipment is so much better?)

All seem to be modern layouts, but I'm having trouble seeing which variants are which.

Mostly I just want to avoid stumbling into something like VS crap A330 coffins but would much appreciate any insight into whether you all have a collective wisdom on what's the best choice, all other things being equal.

Thanks in advance.

ROTR
Old Apr 19, 2024, 10:29 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Blue, Hilton Gold, Virgin Red
I love VS especially when you factor in the a amazing LHR Clubhouse.

I have flown BA, DL, AA and VS. Always found the food superior on AA and DL but preferred BA and VS crew.

This doesn't help does it?
Swanhunter likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2024, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
As long as the layout is 1-2-1 in J, it will be a decent product. Most flights on BA and all flights on AA to JFK (and EWR for BA) have that configuration, albeit different variants of seat. I prefer BA's soft product.
Old Apr 19, 2024, 11:15 am

I can only comment on UA, AA & BA.

UA - food generally mediocre and the seat on the 767 can be a bit narrow

AA - decent seat on the 777, food can be good or bad. But you’ve a good range of lounges out of T3 & personally I find AA’s IFE range better than BA

BA - seat similar to AA. In my experience the best crew of the 3 above. Food has improved of late.

With the joint venture you could always go out with BA & back with AA or vice versa
Old Apr 19, 2024, 11:44 am

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Diamond, IHG Diamond
If you’re going to/from MRS then connecting on to AA will likely be much easier as both flights depart from T3. If originating in NCE, then BA will likely be a better connection in T5.
Old Apr 19, 2024, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Frankly, if flying from NCE, I’d check the “competition to the competition”: UA, DL and La Compagnie each have daily direct flight to NYC (DL to JFK, the other two to EWR), I personally think this would be a lot preferable to anything with a change.

Also of all changes, LHR as it’s the only one where you need to reclear security which you wouldn’t do with kl, af, lh, lx, az, ay or in the case of ib in one direction.

so in my view, on this specific route, aa-ba is a very odd choice to me.

Note: if you really want aa/ba, aa nce-Phl-lga might be the best option I guess
HIDDY likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2024, 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by cameramaker
If you’re going to/from MRS then connecting on to AA will likely be much easier as both flights depart from T3. If originating in NCE, then BA will likely be a better connection in T5.
Just on this if MRS T3 connection means you would get the Cathay Lounge in J. After a long flight not only the better food and drink but the showers in the lounge are a step up from the BA offering.

Often but not always the BA European flights at T3 depart close to the Cathay Lounge.

In terms of flights the 19.20 flight AA flight from JFK gives around 3 hours at T3 before the BA flight at 11am. (Based on quick look of July options)
embarcadero1 likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2024, 1:50 pm

Programs: AA,SPG, Delta, Amtrak, JB
Originally Posted by Sealink
I love VS especially when you factor in the a amazing LHR Clubhouse.

I have flown BA, DL, AA and VS. Always found the food superior on AA and DL but preferred BA and VS crew.

This doesn't help does it?
The food superior on AA... Is this a joke?
Old Apr 19, 2024, 2:45 pm
PxC

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Gold, Caesars Diamond
Originally Posted by AJNEDC
The food superior on AA... Is this a joke?
Indeed, my last J meal was vile
Old Apr 19, 2024, 3:18 pm
Original Poster

Hey, great information, thanks everyone!

Absolutely agree about VS and the clubhouse, but nothing connects to VS direct for this trip.

I'm very much a Biz-class bargain hunter and generally find the low - 2000s to be my limit.

So with directs on UA and DL both at almost double the price it's 100% not worth it to me to spend that kind of money on that flight.
So it's more a question of directs in coach for a price I can accept vs connection in biz for a price I can accept.

La Compagnie is indeed an option.. I was pretty underwhelmed the last time I took it. But it's a good point... it's worth considering.
Maybe if I think of it as fancy Premium Economy, I can fit it into my mental calculus somehow.

I'm also generally very flexible on time so I sometimes build a few hours into the layovers to hit a favorite restaurant, or a 23hr layover with an overnight in a city I enjoy popping into my thinking.

Very good info about the terminal change depending on the city too, thanks!

And I'm always happy to check out a new better lounge - does Cathay allow any Oneworld biz traveler access? Even without status?

That would be fun....

Anyway thanks again for the input - really appreciate it. FT for the win!
Old Apr 19, 2024, 3:23 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
I actually prefer UA's seat & IFE the best. LHR United Club is excellent, and if you are connecting in the US on the EWR side, you can use the Polaris Lounge (a mixed bag but generally good). However, UA's food is shockingly poor - and the service hit or miss. If you eat in the lounges, either end, it can be a great flight.

Choose BA if the price is right. Food and service generally good, Club World finally 1-2-1. It's a pretty short flight, relatively speaking.
remyontheroad likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2024, 3:26 pm
Original Poster

Wow.. I have to admit, I'm a little stunned that I had no idea AA flew PHL-NCE.
is this a new route?
It's not coming up as a connection in searches for NYC.

I guess just another example of how deeply I've been buried in Skyteam world these last few years...

Very good to know.

Originally Posted by orbitmic
(snip)
Note: if you really want aa/ba, aa nce-Phl-lga might be the best option I guess
Old Apr 19, 2024, 4:20 pm

Depending on your dates, you could also fly F TATL on BA/AA for about $400 more than your budget each way and hit the F/CCR lounges... (~$2830 return).
bbriscoe34 and ryanbriar like this.
Old Apr 19, 2024, 8:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by seanp7
Depending on your dates, you could also fly F TATL on BA/AA for about $400 more than your budget each way and hit the F/CCR lounges... (~$2830 return).
I was upgraded to First on BA on my last TATL and I would say that it’s not worth it. Better food and wider seat but the same poor IFE. Worth perhaps $50 more unless you need the Tier Points.
Old Apr 19, 2024, 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
I was upgraded to First on BA on my last TATL and I would say that it’s not worth it. Better food and wider seat but the same poor IFE. Worth perhaps $50 more unless you need the Tier Points.
That's pretty cool - but it's veering off the topic of this thread.

Last edited by seanp7; Apr 19, 2024 at 8:30 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.