Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

I’ve fixed the short haul on board luggage issue. Thank me later.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2024, 11:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA

Ok, a bit tongue in cheek as it’s Friday, but there is so much angst with short hauls about the amount of carry on, and asking/forcing G3+ to check their carry on luggage.

So I’ve got the solution to take advantage of the ‘deadspace’ between your seat and the overhead bins.

I’m neither an aviation engineer or an engineer of any sorts, but tell me I’m wrong and this can’t be done!

Literally drew this on a piece of paper following a conversation with a colleague
Old Apr 19, 2024, 11:50 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
BRB, retraining as a personal injury lawyer.
Old Apr 19, 2024, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Or better - put it instead of the seat bottom on which we put our bums and save seat and maintenance money!
malkie, bafan, Antarius and 2 others like this.
Old Apr 19, 2024, 11:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by etiene
BRB, retraining as a personal injury lawyer.
I sort of see it as an entirely new floor level with flaps in the footwell you open and drop your carry on case into.
Old Apr 19, 2024, 12:11 pm

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Originally Posted by malkie
Ok, a bit tongue in cheek as it’s Friday, but there is so much angst with short hauls about the amount of carry on, and asking/forcing G3+ to check their carry on luggage.

So I’ve got the solution to take advantage of the ‘deadspace’ between your seat and the overhead bins.

I’m neither an aviation engineer or an engineer of any sorts, but tell me I’m wrong and this can’t be done!

Literally drew this on a piece of paper following a conversation with a colleague
You must have a really short upper body. There isn't as much deadspace there as you think. I hit my head when I get up most times. Or are you suggesting that we flget rid of the overhead lockers?
Kgmm77 and Bohinjska Bistrica like this.
Old Apr 19, 2024, 12:17 pm
Original Poster

I’m 6foot4 and don’t fit in the space between the seats and the bins as things stand, but I’m only standing for seconds in any given flight vs time spent seated.

Thats why I’ve gone for the 45-degree angle rather than vertical.
Old Apr 19, 2024, 12:21 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Platinum, FlyingBlue Gold, Hilton Gold, Mucci des repas d'enfant
Easier solution, charge for cabin bags.
dwugson and Radiation Station like this.
Old Apr 19, 2024, 12:25 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire, Easyjet Flight Club
BA could retrofit the larger cabin baggage bins on the short haul fleet - like the US airlines have been doing.

https://runwaygirlnetwork.com/2022/06/airbus-develops-new-light-refit-larger-overhead-bins-for-a320-family/
Old Apr 19, 2024, 12:54 pm

Someone would still try and fit too big a bag in the slots and just imagine dropping your phone and trying to get it out from a window seat!

Besides, they would just fill up with crumbs and other undesirable rubbish.
Old Apr 19, 2024, 1:00 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Curvature of the fuselage would make this fun for anyone sat by a window.

As long as they switched to the other side of the aisle for their return leg, their neck should just about have normalised by the time they get home.
etiene and DiamondMile like this.
Old Apr 19, 2024, 1:10 pm

Everything checked in. Sorted 🙂
JapesUK likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2024, 1:15 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club - Gold
Originally Posted by malkie
I sort of see it as an entirely new floor level with flaps in the footwell you open and drop your carry on case into.
Which should then be automatically locked in an emergency situation preventing people from attempting to take them, same with overhead bins.

CB
Delboy65 likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2024, 1:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mekko
Curvature of the fuselage would make this fun for anyone sat by a window.

As long as they switched to the other side of the aisle for their return leg, their neck should just about have normalised by the time they get home.
I’ve got an answer. 45-degrees forward *and* 45-degrees towards the centre.
Old Apr 19, 2024, 1:34 pm

Programs: BA Exec Gold
Open everyone's bag and scan every item and then buy the equivalent in the destination country - hey presto! no need for hand luggage! :-)
adrianlondon likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2024, 1:57 pm

Programs: OWE (AS), ST E+ (DL)
It’s not as outlandish of an idea as you may think! I discovered very similar seats on Canada’s Via Rail from Ottawa to Montreal about a year ago. The underseat storage was angled in the opposite direction from your sketch, ie. your bag goes angled under the seat you’re sitting on, but otherwise it was the same idea.

Unfortunately it didn’t strike me as particularly effective. My small roller bag didn’t fit. Perhaps the underseat volume was larger than average but usable volume wasn’t. More importantly, it seemed that cleaning the storage area was impractical due to the odd angle.

I can’t post pictures but you can search Via Rail Renaissance car walkthroughs on YouTube. Most Via cars have normal seats, and at this point I don’t know if the Renaissance cars still operate. They’re the ones with 1-2 economy seats.
flarmip likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.