Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LHR Strike May 7-13

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2024, 11:56 pm
Original Poster

LHR Strike May 7-13

I saw a news articles that 800 staff in the following departments will be on strike May 7-13:
  • Passenger services - who assist travellers to catch connecting flights
  • Trolley operations
  • Campus security - the security guards who are responsible for all workers at Heathrow and vehicles being checked before entering Heathrow
  • Firefighters
  • Airside operations
I have the following itinerary planned for an event I need to attend on May 8 in Madrid:
May 5 LAX-LHR on BA
May 7 LHR-MAD on IB
May 10 MAD-LHR-LAX on IB/BA
As someone who always hears about strikes in European Airports but never traveled during one, how worried should I be? Should I cancel my bookings and make alternative ones to avoid LHR?

Link to article: https://news.sky.com/story/heathrow-...ected-13121938
Old Apr 25, 2024, 1:14 am

Programs: BA
Oddly enough, neither BA nor IB appear to be on that list, though Sky seem incapable of sorting it so I had to double check.
Old Apr 25, 2024, 1:26 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by IanWorthington
Oddly enough, neither BA nor IB appear to be on that list, though Sky seem incapable of sorting it so I had to double check.
I think that list is just for the refuelling staff - BA use a different company so aren't affected by that. Not sure how the other strike affects them, though, but I'd assume it must have some impact.
Old Apr 25, 2024, 1:33 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
the only one i would be concerned about on that list is firefighters, but i don't see where it says they are striking

https://www.unitetheunion.org/news-e...workers-strike
https://www.unitetheunion.org/news-e...-strike-action
Old Apr 25, 2024, 1:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IanWorthington
I believe there are 2 separate strikes that are mentioned in the article. There is one for refueling staff on May 4-6, which BA and IB are not affected by. And a separate strike on May 7-13 which is the one that involves the various airport departments in my original post.
Old Apr 25, 2024, 1:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KARFA
the only one i would be concerned about on that list is firefighters, but i don't see where it says they are striking

https://www.unitetheunion.org/news-e...workers-strike
https://www.unitetheunion.org/news-e...-strike-action
This is quoted from the second link you posted:

"The three outsourced areas are being joined in industrial action by firefighters and airside operations from HAL who recognise the deleterious impact outsourcing would have, fear that the fire service and airside operations may be next in line and support the idea of a multilateral collective bargaining agreement"
Old Apr 25, 2024, 1:46 am

I am sorry I don’t see how that can be accurate. Secondary strikes are not legal.

Edit: I suspect what that means in practice is some off duty firefighters will join the picket line - which would not have any affect on fire cover and therefore no impact on operations.
stifle likes this.

Last edited by KARFA; Apr 25, 2024 at 2:11 am
Old Apr 25, 2024, 12:50 pm

Programs: BA GGL
LHR passenger service staff strike 7-13 May - impact on BA?

As per this article, 800 passenger services staff at LHR will be striking between 7-13 May.

This is separate to the fueller strike on 4 May and industrial action at GWR which will affect Heathrow Express services.

Will the passenger service staff strike have an impact on BA's LHR operations?
Old Apr 25, 2024, 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by flarmip
As per this article, 800 passenger services staff at LHR will be striking between 7-13 May.

This is separate to the fueller strike on 4 May and industrial action at GWR which will affect Heathrow Express services.

Will the passenger service staff strike have an impact on BA's LHR operations?
some more detail here LHR Strike May 7-13

probably not. Maybe no catering for some flights is possible.
flarmip likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.