Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA-themed FT Edinburgh Do 7-8th September 2024

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2024, 12:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci

You are all lovingly invited to Edinburgh for a wee (Scottish word for small/intimate ) get-together of FT-ers.

The weekend is Saturday the 7th and Sunday the 8th of September and the provisional plan is some drinks at a central (just south of the Royal Mile) Edinburgh venue on the evening of the Saturday and then a trip to see the wonderful (ex-) British Airways Concorde G-BOAA at East Fortune Airfield (Scottish National Museum of Flight) on Sunday the 8th. I am imagining that it will be a small number and East Fortune isn't that easy to get to by public transport so I am hoping to be able to give people a lift to/from the venue on the Sunday and if numbers demand it I will recruit the other half to help (I have just been told she has invited herself anyway!). They have a very nice exhibition there and the opportunity to get on board and walk all around Concorde. It was used for filming of the relevant scenes in the Glenn Close / Jonathan Pryce movie "The Wife".

There are lots of things to see and do in Edinburgh and this will be just after the end of the Festival so accommodation and travel prices will be heading to a more sane level, hopefully. There is the Castle and Holyrood Palace if that sort of thing interests you and there are various Ghost tours available (the City of the Dead tour claimed to given heart attacks to the largest number of tourists IIRC) and I can arrange for reduced price admission to the Museum of the College of Surgeons if you like all the gory stuff. Go to Greyfriar's Kirkyard to see the real grave of Tom Riddle or rub the nose of Greyfriar's Bobby, see where JK Rowling wrote some of the Harry Potter novels in the Elephant and Bagel or look over at the school that inspired HogwartS (HeriotS).

Lots of Whisky-related tours etc. and depending on interest we can organise some group things if you wish. Take a stroll up Calton Hill (Nelson's monument has just re-opened) or Arthur's Seat (even more popular since that "One Day" Netflix series), and there are so many other things to see and do I can't really do it justice in a few lines.

Am I doing a good job of being an Edinburgh Tourist Rep..?!
Anyway, there are lots of seats on the last flight up to EDI on Friday night, 6 rows of CE and in fact the only person on board at the moment is MrsCrazy so you are all set for a party in the CCR before you even cross the border. :

I think I am supposed to post about any "do" on another board so if someone would let me know where that is I will gladly do so...!
KARFA, squawk, S_W_S and 8 others like this.

Last edited by crazy8534; Apr 25, 2024 at 12:38 pm
Old Apr 25, 2024, 12:43 pm

Programs: BAEC
Can I use the EDI lounge on arrivals?

Sorry couldn’t resist!!
Old Apr 25, 2024, 2:55 pm

Programs: BA Gold, ALL, IHG, Hilton H
DoubleTree Hilton looks especially good value 👌🤣🤣

Old Apr 25, 2024, 3:00 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

I'll be there for the Saturday meal/drinks crazy8534
HIDDY and crazy8534 like this.
Old Apr 25, 2024, 4:10 pm

Mid-August to early September might have some major logistical events happening for me, but if I can make it I will. Always love visiting Edinburgh and haven’t been to the museum of flight yet.
crazy8534 and ScienceTeacher like this.
Old Apr 25, 2024, 4:15 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Virgin Red, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
I was tempted, I love Edinburgh, then I checked hotels, even the IBIS is £350, some are asking up to £450. They may come down obviously but a bit rich at the moment.
crazy8534 likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2024, 4:35 pm

Programs: BA GGL
Definitely interested - tempted to book a redemption for this and then firm up plans nearer the time. Hotel prices still seem a little on the high side but I suppose that's Edinburgh for you!
crazy8534 likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2024, 9:48 pm

I might be able to make the Saturday evening, will get the rattler through from Stirling.

Sadly Edinburgh is probably the worst place in the UK for hotels at the moment, really is scalping central.

Granted it's a bit of a trek but the Dakota in South Queensferry at £220 is probably the best value for money you will get.

​​​​​Alternatively if you're planning an East Fortune trip anyway you can get 1 Night's B&B at Tom Kitchins place in Gullane for £350:

Much nicer than an IBIS anyway although travel into Edinburgh will be taxi then train.

Alternatively stay in Glasgow for half the price, if doing 7th only. Last train is 23.30/23.45 from Waverley.

Glasgow is about £130-160 for a wide range of central hotels.

​​​​​
Old Apr 25, 2024, 10:43 pm

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
I would have liked to come, but you chose exactly the dates when I'm already busy elsewhere
crazy8534 likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2024, 1:22 am

Programs: VS Silver; Matmid Silver, BA Bronze; Accor Plat.
"One street and a clock made out of flowers" - Taggart
crazy8534 likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2024, 1:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
It appears that in attempting to avoid the Festival, Murrayfield rugby matches, the marathon, Taylor Swift’s visit and every other major event that Edinburgh is hosting this year I have happened upon the start of Fresher’s week where lots of proud parents will be staying at the weekend while they drop off their matriculating children!

Oh dear! We won’t be the only pub crawl anyway!
atcodave, flarmip, squawk and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 26, 2024, 1:56 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Platinum, FlyingBlue Gold, Hilton Gold, Mucci des repas d'enfant
Other plans unfortunately, I’d have loved to come along.
crazy8534 likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2024, 3:46 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Interested but I need to figure out what my family is doing (they won't be in Edinburgh, that's for sure).

40k Hilton points of mine are currently resting at the Hampton West End.
crazy8534 likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2024, 5:00 am

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
planning to make it for the saturday activities anyhow!
crazy8534 likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2024, 5:25 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Hi crazy8534.

Thank you for organising the Edinburgh Do. At the moment I may not be able to come, but I may be able to change things so will have a look.

It is worth mentioning in the Community Buzz board as well in case any non BA/BAEC board people are interested https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/communitybuzz-380/
aks120, crazy8534, flarmip and 1 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.