Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Has anyone else noticed United 1k and service overall hitting rock bottom

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2024, 2:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1k American Platinum select Marriott Titanium Hilton Gold

United has completely fallen apart. The 1k line is horrendous, maybe 1 out of 10 times you can get help on a flight. Customer care being called horrible would be an upgrade. They are not insulting in their responses half the time. I have had no less than 3 flights in the last 2 months downgraded in class of fare without notice and no one at United will fix it. I had a paid for business class for which business was not full downgraded to the lowest level of coach. I reached out to at least 10 people and only 2 apologized and have had the rudest service and responses.
I had 3 b fare confirmed upgrades show up but the system doesn't work so no one will honor it. I am really thinking about going back to American even though I'm based in Houston. I was based in San francisco and was elite with Continental for over 20 years. Go figure I refused to fly United for these reasons and what do they do, they buy Continental and screw me over. I have a story for every flight this year, but I won't get into it.
Please let me know if you have had a miserable customer experience and think Scott Kirby is destroying United with his lack of customer care.
FlyingHoustonian likes this.
Old May 2, 2024, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Here is my aneodote - was having trouble buying the unlimited 30 day wifi (had 15 or so flights during the period, so it worked out to a little over $3 per flight).

One of the very few times I called up the 1K line, while people watching as boarding commenced, some CSR tried to be helpful, but instead attempted to buy wifi as me After 30 minutes of waiting around, she came back saying she could not buy it because she needed my account login password. I just can't...
Old May 2, 2024, 4:04 pm
Original Poster

It's just crazy. They talk to us as if we are stupid and we know the systems better than they do
Live4Upgrades likes this.
Old May 2, 2024, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
1K phone support is great for me. I always wonder if and how UA further stratifies 1K, or not. It has honestly improved from where it was just a few years ago. Exceedingly rare right now to not get a solution with just 1 call
narvik, ksw, LaserSailor and 5 others like this.
Old May 2, 2024, 4:54 pm

Programs: UA 1k, SPG/Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Well, United surprised me and one other 1K on Sunday at DEN by transferring us from the B to A gates via vehicle. We both had a tight connection and they were tracking. I said I thought this was GS only and they said they will do for 1Ks on occasion.

Not disputing the OPs experience and I’ve had my own versions of that but occasionally it can break the other way.
SPN Lifer, nnn, uanj and 7 others like this.
Old May 2, 2024, 4:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL GOLD, IHG LIFE PLAT, BONVOY'ED GOLD
I haven't had any issues per-se with the 1K line, only time I'd have a hiccup was trying to extend Pluspoints to my 3 flight itinerary instead of just 1 flight (which should've been the same price), ended up getting transferred departments quite a few times. They've been great at helping me during IRROPs though.
Old May 2, 2024, 5:17 pm
Original Poster

That's great to know. Yes they can, harder to find. I'm stranded in Houston right now going on 7 hours and will end up being 10, but had the nicest global services agent help me.

Lucky man, I'm getting the opposite 1 out of 10... thanks for the feedback

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 2, 2024 at 5:19 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old May 2, 2024, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by cfischer
1K phone support is great for me. I always wonder if and how UA further stratifies 1K, or not. It has honestly improved from where it was just a few years ago. Exceedingly rare right now to not get a solution with just 1 call
I have to agree; I have 1k to be excellent. It’s fast; the agents are responsive and helpful. I’ve received excellent service from the 1k line.
Old May 2, 2024, 6:27 pm
Original Poster

No I'm a real frustrated 1k. I've been on the forum for years just never posted.

It must be me. I appreciate all the responses.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 2, 2024 at 7:52 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old May 2, 2024, 6:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by bisherk
Lucky man, I'm getting the opposite 1 out of 10... thanks for the feedback
I have noticed a lot of UA service offerings (1k and generally) going downhill in the last few years but the 1K line is one thing that has consistently remained stellar, in my experiences.
Lori_Q and gmt4 like this.
Old May 2, 2024, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aussieinsf
....I said I thought this was GS only and they said they will do for 1Ks on occasion....
Definitely not only GS, but count it as a rarity. They'll also transport a 1K on occasion even if connection not tight, but good distance between gates/concourses. I've also always have had good experiences w/ 1K line.
Old May 2, 2024, 7:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by bisherk
1k line
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
1K line
Originally Posted by txaggiemiles
1K line
Originally Posted by itripreport
1K line
Originally Posted by ContinentalFan
1k line
"There is no longer a dedicated 1K line"

...just sayin'.
SPN Lifer and Repooc17 like this.
Old May 2, 2024, 7:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by narvik
I'm a stickler for these kind of details, too, but I think "1K Line" has become shorthand for "preferential routing to better agents."

My last year or two as 1K (up to Jan. 31 this year) I had pretty good experiences with UA phone support. Though I didn't call very often, as the app is usually sufficient for my purposes.
Old May 2, 2024, 7:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by Kacee
I'm a stickler for these kind of details, too, but I think "1K Line" has become shorthand for "preferential routing to better agents."
I think the issue lies with how UA re-organized/changed the "1K line" some 10+ years ago.

Currently UA states: "You can connect with a specially trained representative dedicated to assisting our MileagePlusŪ PremierŪ 1KŪ members anytime."

My guess is that they have less "specially trained representatives" than they used to, when they actually had a dedicated line, and/or the training isn't as good as it used to be. If you call UA now, and happen to call during times when the "specially trained representatives" are already on other calls, instead of putting you on hold, they might be connecting you to someone who doesn't have the "special training".
Maybe this is when we see....<ahem>... less-than-perfect customer service, as in OP's case?

(And just to be clear: I've had nothing but great experiences with UA phone representatives as a 1K.)
Old May 2, 2024, 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by narvik
Currently UA states: "You can connect with a specially trained representative dedicated to assisting our MileagePlusŪ PremierŪ 1KŪ members anytime."
so there is, in fact, a 1K line. That is literally what the shorthand means.

removing my like!
narvik likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.