Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Miyako, Kyoto, Japan [Master Thread]

Old Sep 22, 2014, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ElevatorEnthusiast
The property does not participate in Suite Night Awards.
Print Wikipost

Westin Miyako, Kyoto, Japan [Master Thread]

Old Jun 16, 2008, 7:43 am

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat, SPG Plat/LT Plat, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, MR Silver
Originally Posted by b8b
I can't be more angry about the shuttle. It's been full twice and they made us wait 30 minutes for the next one without so much as a real apology (IMO, they should have paid for a cab for us). We've missed the last shuttle twice by a few minutes (the last one runs at 6:30 PM from Kyoto Station, even though other hotels have shuttles running much later) and they will drop you off at two places in between the Westin and Kyoto Station but will NOT pick you back up there due to some silly Japanese law enacted as of June 1, 2008 (or something). Today, we quite literally missed the last shuttle by two minutes. $17 cab ride back or subway (that's twice now), and we didn't beat the shuttle
This makes me mad because I was depending on it to get to the hotel. I arrive at KIX around 7:45pm and planned on taking the train to Kyoto station then the shuttle. If I'm already going to have to take a taxi part way, might have to consider just taking it all the way.
Old Jun 16, 2008, 8:51 am
GVA

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, BA Silver, Aegean Gold, Aeroplan 25k, AA EXP
Originally Posted by b8b
You got robbed. Sorry m8.

Indeed, except for the old lady in the kimono (sp?), avoid her at all expense - I spoek with another FT'er while here (I'm still here) and he said he would report her to the GM - she makes you feel like awful for asking any question (we joked that she must have some dirt on the GM, lolz).
I didn't take up the late checkout. It was the old lady although the other younger one wasn't that much better IMHO.

Originally Posted by b8b
I apologize, I should have mentioned that your exec lounge cert also gives you buffet breakfast privileges on the secon dfloor in Aqua Blue, which I also informed (too late) to the other FT'er here who enjoyed that on his last two mornings. Night and day difference. The mango juice yesterday was incredible, and the apple juice (they rotate out a few juices daily) was also quite good and seemed fresh-pressed.
Didn't know about that, oh well...

Originally Posted by b8b
I concur. This could be an incredible property, but they just fall short on a few. I used extra points and additional points upon arrival to get a Luxury sweet (kids in tow) and it has a single shower head, another FT'er with a JR suite has a better bathroom setup, there are only 14 channels on the TV and only 1 subtitled in English (CNN international), and the bed is hard as a rock - I asked for some down pillows to sleep on, they would only give me regular ones. I asked for two fans yesterday for some white noise for us, I only got one (put it in the living room to keep the kids asleep - it worked! I got an hour and a half extra sleep!!) heh)..
Both of my rooms only had CNN as an English channel. The first tv (in the refurbished standard room) was really making buzzing noises, to the point that I wondered whether it would explode in my face. The second tv was smaller (18-20") but without noises.

Originally Posted by b8b
I didn't get the PC password but I have the exec lounge wi-fi password and will post it later (along with a better review) if I can find it again..
I have the wifi password saved on my PC if anyone needs it, don't know if it is wise to post it here or not.

Originally Posted by b8b
I can't be more angry about the shuttle. It's been full twice and they made us wait 30 minutes for the next one without so much as a real apology (IMO, they should have paid for a cab for us). We've missed the last shuttle twice by a few minutes (the last one runs at 6:30 PM from Kyoto Station, even though other hotels have shuttles running much later) and they will drop you off at two places in between the Westin and Kyoto Station but will NOT pick you back up there due to some silly Japanese law enacted as of June 1, 2008 (or something). Today, we quite literally missed the last shuttle by two minutes. $17 cab ride back or subway (that's twice now), and we didn't beat the shuttle

GVA: sorry I missed you, it would have been nice to meet you.
We used the shuttle once to go and once to come back. The lady at the front door told me the shuttle bus didn't pick up at the intermediate stations, on our way back the driver actually picked up a few people. Needless to say I wasn't that happy. The lack of storage space is also weird on a bus to and from the station. On our way back we had 3 families with their kids with a lot of luggage, fitting in 15 people on the bus was a challenge. A service every 15/20 minutes would certainly be more appropriate seeing how the hotel is out in the woods compared to downtown Kyoto.

The subway is actually a nice way to get around the city. We took it today to get to Nijojo castle then spent 45 minutes on the 12 bus to Kinkakuji temple. On our return from Ryoanji temple, we were lucky to have a JR bus just show up there and took that to Nijo station. What a difference that made, the bus took about 15 minutes and the subway was about a 10-15 minute ride and about 200yards away from the hotel.

Too bad we missed each other.
Old Jun 16, 2008, 9:54 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt Diamond
Here are some additions to add, checked out earlier today.

No 4pm checkout.

Outdoor pool is not open, no water in it.

Asked for an additional coffee or "exchange" the decaf for leaded and was told it would be 440 Yen.

SPG Gold / Platinum check in line was slower than regular line. 3 agents working the regular line and 1 working the Gold / Platinum line.

Room 8002 is exceptionally musty / full of mildew. Complaints and request to move did no good since the hotel was full. Thank goodness we could open the window.

Maid service is great. Shuttle worked out well for us. The bird trail is a great hike and beautiful views. ^

The restaurant grill about 400 meters west of the hotel on the south side is excellent and busy with locals although very small, I think about 8 seats. Items range from 600 to 1000 Yen.
Old Jun 17, 2008, 3:07 am
b8b

Programs: DL Plat; HH Diamond; SPG & Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by troyb
This makes me mad because I was depending on it to get to the hotel. I arrive at KIX around 7:45pm and planned on taking the train to Kyoto station then the shuttle. If I'm already going to have to take a taxi part way, might have to consider just taking it all the way.
Originally Posted by GVA
The subway is actually a nice way to get around... the subway was about a 10-15 minute ride and about 200yards away from the hotel.
The subway is great. It runs often and usually isn't too crowded (at least from Kyoto Station to Shijo and the Westin, for us anyway). It may be a way for you to get to the Westin, Troyb, if you can handle taking your luggage up/down elevators and carting it accross a station for a transfer. It is close enough that I would have taken it instead of the taxi, had a I known. 250 Yen per adult (approx $2.50) each way from Kyoto Station to the Westin, and you have to make one transfer. It's really easy, great signage and maps all over.

Originally Posted by GVA
The subway is actually a nice way to get around the city. We took it today to get to Nijojo castle ...
For me, Nijojo Castle was the best sight, since you actually get to take off your shoes and go into the near 400 year old palace. Amazing. So easy to get to also.

Today we bought a subway pass for 600 and went all over. We went back to Mushashi in Kyoto station (right accross from McDonald's on the taxi side of the station, same side the Westin shuttle bus comes to), a kaizen-sushi (rotating conveyor belt) place that has another location on Shijo street and elsewhere and is inexpensive and good quality, known by locals... and all plates are only 137. The kids love the "Shaka Shaka Chicken" on the McDonald's 100 menu - the quality is actually decent, it's not meat product but actual chicken like chicken tenders, although likely not so healthy as it is fried.
Old Jul 24, 2008, 12:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP, CX MPC GLD, MR PLT, SPG PLT, National Exec.
Just returned from two night at the Kyoto Westin Miyako. Nice property went in with mixed opinion after reading some of the reports on here but came out feeling I would return. Breakfast buffet on the 2nd floor wasn't bad a little steep in price for the hot items versus continental style. The older lady in the kimono at the concierge desk was in fact useless. Had requested she make use reservations for an event and she did not do it as request resulting in unfavorable booking time. Our room on the 8th floor 8043 was your average Westin room no complaints clean and no smell of mildew. If you walk around the 8th floor there is a large area of glass windows with spectacular views of the city. The subway stop just up the street from the hotel also made for some easy and cheap travel with the 1-day pass for 600 yen.
Old Sep 1, 2008, 6:52 pm

Programs: AA Plat, AA 1MM LT Gold, *wood Plat
Will be there for a nite. Dont know if I will have enough time to figure out how good or bad the place it but will put a review up once I have checked out.
Old Sep 1, 2008, 10:36 pm

Programs: UA: 1K MM, Marriott Ambassador, Platinum IHG. Diamond: Hilton. Silver: Delta & Hyatt
Stayed here in December 2006 and really enjoyed it. My girlfriend and I even got in room massages at the time which were great.
-UFFA
Old Sep 2, 2008, 9:39 am

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat, SPG Plat/LT Plat, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, MR Silver
Stayed here last week. Hotel is fine, clean, nothing special - which is reflected in the availability of pretty low rates - 11,900 JPY was what I saw.

The club lounge was ok for drinks, but very small. In fact it was full when we went, but they promised to reserve the next open table for us and followed through on that, which was nice.
Old Sep 11, 2008, 1:53 am

Programs: AA Plat, AA 1MM LT Gold, *wood Plat
Stayed at the hotel for two nights last week. First got a room facing the back moutain (no view) so asked for a different room. They put me in a very nice room with a view of the city and it was pretty nice.
For the rates, it was pretty good service. The conceirge and front desk staff went out of their way to help me when I needed them to ship something to another hotel.

The breakfast in the resturant that came with the room was very decent and quite good. No complaints and would definately stay here again.
Old Sep 26, 2008, 9:45 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold ne Platinum; AA Plat.
Odd that rates not loaded for Mar. 2009

Despite some recent poor reviews (or really in the absence of having read some of those poor reviews) I just booked two nights in March 2009 using cash and points. The odd thing is that Starwood's website still doesn't have cash rates ("Book Our Best Rate") loaded. I looked at Expedia, and with respect to the Westin for my dates, it says no rooms are available. But there definitely are cash and points rooms available (even after I booked my rooms with cash and points). It just seemed odd that only people with points can stay at this hotel during my dates (at least if they book it over the Internet). Makes me feel like I'm part of some exclusive club...
Old Sep 28, 2008, 9:43 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold ne Platinum; AA Plat.
Originally Posted by jgold
Despite some recent poor reviews (or really in the absence of having read some of those poor reviews) I just booked two nights in March 2009 using cash and points. The odd thing is that Starwood's website still doesn't have cash rates ("Book Our Best Rate") loaded. I looked at Expedia, and with respect to the Westin for my dates, it says no rooms are available. But there definitely are cash and points rooms available (even after I booked my rooms with cash and points). It just seemed odd that only people with points can stay at this hotel during my dates (at least if they book it over the Internet). Makes me feel like I'm part of some exclusive club...
Fascinating. One day after I posted this, NO rooms are bookable at the Westin Kyoto. I apologize in advance to anyone who can't book a room as a result of this. Foolishly, I had thought that the response to my post (if any) would be to make the room bookable BOTH for cash and for C&P, rather than for NEITHER, but live and learn. (Obviously, it's possible that the change in bookability wasn't the result of my post, but I'll make the leap and assume it was.)
Old Dec 30, 2008, 12:00 am

Programs: AA EXP, CX MPC GLD, MR PLT, SPG PLT, National Exec.
I am here now. Terrible experience already. After two nights at the Westin Nagoya, were the staff goes out of their way to be friendly and helpful, I find myself let down here.

Check-in took over 45 minutes, then were given two rooms in what the receptionist called the "Old Wing." We requested rooms in the new wing and were told these were reserved for guests visiting Kyoto for the New Year. I read this to mean Japanese guests, not American's visiting Kyoto for New Year. After telling her this would not work and we would go to the Hyatt she consulted with her peer and then offered free breakfast. Our rate included breakfast so I pointed this out and was then offered coffee or afternoon tea in the cafe. I told her this would not be acceptable and I would like a room in one of the refurbished wings. Again she insisted these rooms were for guests visiting Kyoto for the New Year. I pushed again and we were offered two rooms in the "New Wing," but we were told now we could not request a late check out. We were told to have a seat and we would be shown to our room. After 15 minutes, I asked where the key was and we were told that we had to wait to be shown our room. I said we were capable of walking to our rooms alone but were told it is policy to be walked to the room. I am confused at this point. We are show are rooms which are online with what we had in a previous stay and all is well.

I am just confused with the whole line of these rooms are for guests visiting Kyoto for the New Year?
Old Dec 30, 2008, 6:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
I say this with total respect. My wife is from Japan and I know the "routine". It is very very very common for the Japanese to reserve rooms in advance. That means some of those rooms were reserved when the guests checked out last New Year. They (Japanese consumers) are also willing to pay to rooms in the new wing. I believe this Hotel does all it can to make guests comfortable. I hope you will enjoy Kyoto. Please do not let this experience get you down. That city is way too beautiful. I will be there soon and just can not wait. Regards
Old Dec 30, 2008, 9:15 pm

Programs: UA LTG, AA LTG, Bonvoy LTP, IHG Plat, LHW Sterling
deleted

Last edited by schriste; Dec 31, 2008 at 9:36 am
Old Dec 31, 2008, 8:56 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, Marriott Silver, Hilton Silver, Avis First
I stayed for 3 nights at this hotel in October and I thought the place was terrible. Concierge was worthless, check-in was slow, and the rooms had paper thin walls. The bell staff was very friendly and helpful. Also, the location of the hotel is weak. I would not recommend staying in this hotel.

I was in Japan for 5 months so I have plenty of other hotels to compare it to. The best (i.e. my favorite) Starwood hotel I stayed in was the Sapporo Sheraton. It was a very clean hotel and the staff was tremendous.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.