Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ...Now cancellable for a fee

Old Nov 15, 2016, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jsloan
Related thread: Basic Economy Airport and Plane Experiences (First or Second Hand)

If purchased on united.com you will have to accept a warning about choosing Basic Economy and there will be orange "Basic Economy" highlights everywhere during the booking process.

Link to UA's description of how these fares will work: Basic Economy.

Here are the key facts:
  • No free seat assignments until check-in. Seats will be assigned by the system. Flyers (including elite) have the option to purchase regular economy and preferred economy (white seats with black triangle on seat map) seats after ticket purchase. E+ seats are not available for purchase until check-in. If you dont purchase an advance seat assignment, your seat will be automatically assigned to you prior to boarding, and you won't be able to change your seat once it's been assigned.
  • No guarantee of adjacent seats with companions
  • No voluntary ticket changes after 24 hour purchase period (1K's have successfully used Same Day Standby and received a confirmed seat without penalty)
  • Carry on limited to one personal item unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G, or traveling on an international BE product
  • Customers ineligible for carry-on who bring one to the gate will be charged a $25 convenience fee to gate-check in addition to standard baggage fees (source: @united twitter)
  • Customers are not eligible for premium cabin upgrades either via CPU, mileage upgrade award or PlusPoints
  • Customers will board in the last boarding group (currently Group 5) unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G, or traveling on an international BE product
  • Companions on same PNR will have same boarding group and carry-on if one on the PNR has a waiver
  • No combinability with regular economy fares or partner carriers. Interline travel is not permitted.
  • Normal PQPs / RDMs based on fare and elite multipliers
  • No PQFs
  • Flight(s) do count towards the 4 flight minimum for UA-operated
  • Lifetime mileage
  • Domestic Basic Economy tickets will use booking code 'N'. International BE can be in any class.
  • Online check-in only with paid checked bag, otherwise need to see a United representative to verify the onboard bag allowance and receive a boarding pass
  • Canceling a basic economy ticket will receive a flight credit for the price of the ticket, minus a fee. For domestic flights, the fee is $49.50 for one-way tickets and $99 for roundtrip tickets. For international flights, the fee is $99.50 for one-way tickets and $199 for roundtrip tickets
In air, passengers will receive the same standard economy inflight amenities including United Economy dining options, inflight entertainment, United Wi-Fi (availability depending on the flight)

To avoid domestic BE fares ITA Matrix ~bc=N . Ignoring them on international flights is much trickier because they do not have a consistent pattern in the fare basis; it appears to change by market / region. (That said, as UA is lifting BE from legacy GDS systems, it may result in them disappearing from ITA Matrix anyway).

Google Flights -- select 1 Carry-on bag

NO UNUSED TICKET MAY BE USED TOWARD THE PURCHASE
OF A BASIC ECONOMY TICKET.
-------
NO RESIDUAL VALUE MAY BE USED TOWARD THE PURCHASE
OF A BASIC ECONOMY TICKET.

How is this different from buying up BE to regular economy?

related threads
New UA/*A TATL -LGT Economy fare - no free first bag, no changes/upgrades allowed

Benefit impact of restricted economy fares on UA Elites (Basic Econ, -LGT, Light Econ

Pre-announcement speculation thread (now closed) New "Budget Economy" fares

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}

Print Wikipost

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ...Now cancellable for a fee

Old Feb 15, 2022, 10:11 pm

Change BE seat on TATL flight *after* check in?

Hi -

I've got a flight coming up via FRA, and my ticket is BE. I know that if I do nothing, a seat will be assigned to me at check in time. Right now, coach is only about 30% full, so I'm wondering if I'll have the option (either via the app or at the gate) to change my assigned seat (post checkin but pre boarding) to something in a less crowded row (non E+, I know). Or, should I purchase a window or aisle now for between $31 and $36. On a recent non BE domestic ticket, I was able to change my seat several times after check in (via the app) to be in an empty row, but I'm not sure how the app will behave on this new flight given that it's a BE fare.

Thanks for any guidance!
SamirD likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2022, 8:31 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by schneider4
Hi -

I've got a flight coming up via FRA, and my ticket is BE. I know that if I do nothing, a seat will be assigned to me at check in time. Right now, coach is only about 30% full, so I'm wondering if I'll have the option (either via the app or at the gate) to change my assigned seat (post checkin but pre boarding) to something in a less crowded row (non E+, I know). Or, should I purchase a window or aisle now for between $31 and $36. On a recent non BE domestic ticket, I was able to change my seat several times after check in (via the app) to be in an empty row, but I'm not sure how the app will behave on this new flight given that it's a BE fare.

Thanks for any guidance!
If Coach is now booked at about 30%, I would politely ask the gate agent for a change (look at the app for a specific seat that you like) and suggest that one. I didnt see your status but if youre a premier member of course ask for a E+ seat.. Best of luck and keep us posted.

PS: There will not be any free changes available via the app post check in
SamirD likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2022, 9:55 am

Thanks - knowing that the app will not offer free changes is exactly what I was hoping to find out. My plan now is to wait until just before check in and then pay for a seat in an empty row.
SPN Lifer and SamirD like this.
Old Feb 23, 2022, 11:06 am

Hello, I hold non-UA *G status and I am considering booking a BE fare for 2 of us (my friend has no status) on the same PNR. Would we both be in BG2, and would each of us be entitled to 1 free checked bag and 1 full-sized carry-on? Thanks!

The UA site refers to companions of UA elites, but no mention about companions of *G:
"[...] you're not allowed a full-sized carry-on bag unless you're a MileagePlus Premier member or companion traveling on the same reservation, the primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card or a Star Alliance™ Gold member [...]"
SamirD likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2022, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
What's the general consensus on getting E+ for 'free' with a BE ticket on a TATL routing? I'm considering my first ever BE ticket because I won't be using PlusPoints for this and I won't even be checking a bag or bringing anything larger than a backpack for the quick trip.

As a 1K, what are the chances of being auto assigned an E+ seat? My outbound is pretty full in the back except for E+ and the return is wide open. Do they auto assign seats at check-in or maybe based on status or just completely randomly?

I've scrolled back up a few pages in this thread and Flying Machine seems to have luck getting E+ automatically or having it manually changed the one time they didn't. Is that the general rule of thumb for other higher elites?

The price difference is $150. I'm also trying to decide if $150 is enough for me to guarantee E+ and know what seat I'm going to fly in given every other regular economy perk won't apply to me.

Thanks,
-RM
SamirD likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2022, 8:25 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
My outbound is pretty full in the back except for E+ and the return is wide open.

I think youll have pretty good luck with getting E+ especially on your outbound. GAs as I stated before have been pretty accommodating to me as a Platinum. As a 1K I feel the advantage is yours.. Best of luck and keep us informed

PS: is the overall ticket cost to go from BE to regular economy only $150 RT? If so, Are the PQPs valuable to you or RDMs? Something to consider
SamirD likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2022, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Flying Machine
PS: is the overall ticket cost to go from BE to regular economy only $150 RT? If so, Are the PQPs valuable to you or RDMs? Something to consider
The entire ticket is $150 more to book regular economy both ways. I basically get to pre-select and guarantee an E+ seat if I pay the $150. I'm going way over 1K thresholds again this year so the PQP isn't super valuable to me.

-RM
SamirD likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2022, 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by RobOnLI
The entire ticket is $150 more to book regular economy both ways. I basically get to pre-select and guarantee an E+ seat if I pay the $150. I'm going way over 1K thresholds again this year so the PQP isn't super valuable to me.

-RM
Interesting toss up decision for $150.. it was way more the times I chose BE TATL.. if you like the security perhaps its worth it.. Im a gambler and like the unknown 😀
SamirD likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2022, 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by RobOnLI

-RM
Curious to know if you made a decision and how it worked out
SamirD likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2022, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Flying Machine
Curious to know if you made a decision and how it worked out
I cancelled my BE ticket and bought regular economy. I'm still not sure how it would have worked out because two days before my flight all non E+ seats on IAD-Europe got filled. With BE pax? With other pax? I have no idea. Then right before check-in opened a few of them opened up so if UA assigns BE seats about 48 hours ahead of time then I might have been given E+. If not then I was likely getting stuck in E- and having to ask a GA to move me. No guarantee they would have done that.

On the return I was able to book myself in a middle E+ seat and get that whole row to myself to lie down a bit. Poor mans business class worked well for me. And the offer to upgrade to J was only $799. Not sure if I would have gotten an offer in BE but I didn't pay it for an afternoon flight back to IAD. I also didn't have confidence that the European station would have moved me to E+ based on status because it's not staffed by UA employees.

-RM
Flying Machine and SamirD like this.
Old Mar 20, 2022, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I have some family members booked on a TATL in K class, which is normal economy class per the United chart at https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...are-class.html

But when I look at their booking on united.com it says Basic Economy. Is that a web error?

Another weird thing on the web, it says they can check 6 bags each for free. One of them is UA Gold, but still that can't be right?

FLIGHT INFO
Basic Economy
Flight UA 56
Duration 8h 10m
Aircraft Boeing 777-300ER
Fare Class United Economy (K)
Meal
Lunch
Seats
Select seat
Bags
6 free bags
SamirD likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2022, 6:13 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by stimpy
I have some family members booked on a TATL in K class, which is normal economy class per the United chart at https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...are-class.html

But when I look at their booking on united.com it says Basic Economy. Is that a web error? ...
There is no specific BE TATL fare class, that is only domestic. TATL BE can be any of the lower fare classes. So a BE ticket could have a K fare class

Another weird thing on the web, it says they can check 6 bags each for free. One of them is UA Gold, but still that can't be right?
Ignore, that has been a problem for some time
Online Itinerary Now Shows Checked Bags Under Seat Number (buggy?)
SamirD likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2022, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
There is no specific BE TATL fare class, that is only domestic. TATL BE can be any of the lower fare classes. So a BE ticket could have a K fare class
I figured it was some kind of web error. But that link I posted says nothing about domestic.
SamirD likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2022, 6:33 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
I figured it was some kind of web error. But that link I posted says nothing about domestic.
Notice the link does not mention a specific Basic Economy fare class for after 1 Jan 2019
SamirD likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2022, 6:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Notice the link does not mention a specific Basic Economy fare class for after 1 Jan 2019
Look again. It does mention Basic Economy after 2019, The link does mention M, E, U, H, Q, V, W, S, T, L, K, G are not Basic Economy after 1 Jan 2019. Which is seems to be an error on United's part.
SamirD likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.