Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ...Now cancellable for a fee

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 15, 2016, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Related thread: Basic Economy Airport and Plane Experiences (First or Second Hand)

If purchased on united.com you will have to accept a warning about choosing Basic Economy and there will be orange "Basic Economy" highlights everywhere during the booking process.

Link to UA's description of how these fares will work: Basic Economy.

Here are the key facts:
  • No free seat assignments until check-in. Seats will be assigned by the system. Flyers (including elite) have the option to purchase regular economy and preferred economy (white seats with black triangle on seat map) seats after ticket purchase. E+ seats are not available for purchase until check-in. If you don’t purchase an advance seat assignment, your seat will be automatically assigned to you prior to boarding, and you won't be able to change your seat once it's been assigned.
  • No guarantee of adjacent seats with companions
  • No voluntary ticket changes after 24 hour purchase period including SDC (occasionally 1K's have successfully used Same Day Standby and received a confirmed seat without penalty)
  • Carry on limited to one personal item unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G, or traveling on an international BE product
  • Customers ineligible for carry-on who bring one to the gate will be charged a $25 convenience fee to gate-check in addition to standard baggage fees (source: @united twitter)
  • Customers are not eligible for premium cabin upgrades either via CPU, mileage upgrade award or PlusPoints
  • Customers will board in the last boarding group (currently Group 5) unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G, or traveling on an international BE product
  • Companions on same PNR will have same boarding group and carry-on if one on the PNR has a waiver
  • No combinability with regular economy fares or partner carriers. Interline travel is not permitted.
  • Normal PQPs / RDMs based on fare and elite multipliers
  • No PQFs
  • Flight(s) do count towards the 4 flight minimum for UA-operated
  • Full Lifetime mileage
  • Domestic Basic Economy tickets will use booking code 'N'. International BE can be in any class.
  • Online check-in only with paid checked bag, otherwise need to see a United representative to verify the onboard bag allowance and receive a boarding pass
  • Canceling a basic economy ticket will receive a flight credit for the price of the ticket, minus a fee. For domestic flights, the fee is $49.50 for one-way tickets and $99 for roundtrip tickets. For international flights, the fee is $99.50 for one-way tickets and $199 for roundtrip tickets
In air, passengers will receive the same standard economy inflight amenities including United Economy dining options, inflight entertainment, United Wi-Fi (availability depending on the flight)

To avoid domestic BE fares ITA Matrix ~bc=N . Ignoring them on international flights is much trickier because they do not have a consistent pattern in the fare basis; it appears to change by market / region. (That said, as UA is lifting BE from legacy GDS systems, it may result in them disappearing from ITA Matrix anyway).

Google Flights -- select 1 Carry-on bag

NO UNUSED TICKET MAY BE USED TOWARD THE PURCHASE
OF A BASIC ECONOMY TICKET.
-------
NO RESIDUAL VALUE MAY BE USED TOWARD THE PURCHASE
OF A BASIC ECONOMY TICKET.

How is this different from buying up BE to regular economy?

related threads
New UA/*A TATL -LGT Economy fare - no free first bag, no changes/upgrades allowed

Benefit impact of restricted economy fares on UA Elites (Basic Econ, -LGT, Light Econ

Pre-announcement speculation thread (now closed) New "Budget Economy" fares

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}

Print Wikipost

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ...Now cancellable for a fee

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2022, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Ignore, that has been a problem for some time
Online Itinerary Now Shows Checked Bags Under Seat Number (buggy?)
IME, it shows the combined number of free bags for all Pax. At least that is what seems to make sense to me for the numbers I see in my itineraries.

Originally Posted by stimpy
Look again. It does mention Basic Economy after 2019, The link does mention M, E, U, H, Q, V, W, S, T, L, K, G are not Basic Economy after 1 Jan 2019. Which is seems to be an error on United's part.
there is a star next to basic economy, and part of the footnote says this:

Basic Economy tickets may be booked in various fare classes.
for domestic, BE books into N class. For international, it can be various classes, and BE fares are notated by part of the fare basis code. I still think United erred and causes confusion by using the same marketing for fares that have different benefits if flying domestic vs. international. But then again, LH group, etc. has other fares that are called ‘economy basic’ that also aren’t ‘basic economy’, so you have to be very careful to see what you are getting.
SamirD likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2022, 7:45 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Look again. It does mention Basic Economy after 2019, The link does mention M, E, U, H, Q, V, W, S, T, L, K, G are not Basic Economy after 1 Jan 2019. ....
It DOES NOT say that

but it does say
Originally Posted by emcampbe
for domestic, BE books into N class. For international, it can be various classes, and BE fares are notated by part of the fare basis code. I still think United erred and causes confusion by using the same marketing for fares that have different benefits if flying domestic vs. international. But then again, LH group, etc. has other fares that are called ‘economy basic’ that also aren’t ‘basic economy’, so you have to be very careful to see what you are getting.
UA kept it simple for domestic but LH and AC had all ready adopted the multiple fare class appraoch and UA needed to algine with them

Originally Posted by emcampbe
Ignore, that has been a problem for some time
Online Itinerary Now Shows Checked Bags Under Seat Number (buggy?)
IME, it shows the combined number of free bags for all Pax. At least that is what seems to make sense to me for the numbers I see in my itineraries.
waitlisted segments also add bags, but best to discuss this in the referenced thread -- not really a BE issue.
SamirD likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 20, 2022 at 7:50 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Mar 20, 2022, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
It absolutely does say that a K fare is not Basic Eco. How do you explain this?

Premier qualifying miles (PQM) | Premier qualifying segments (PQS)
Basic Economy 50% | 0.5

K Fare 100% | 1
SamirD likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2022, 8:11 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
It absolutely does say that a K fare is not Basic Eco. How do you explain this?

Premier qualifying miles (PQM) | Premier qualifying segments (PQS)
Basic Economy 50% | 0.5

K Fare 100% | 1
Except when it is Basic Economy as it also says
Not sure why the pushback on what the reality is. It is stated eslewhere also and covered in this thread.

Is it confusing, yes but is it documented, yes. It is what it is.
Old Mar 21, 2022, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Not sure why the pushback on what the reality is. It is stated eslewhere also and covered in this thread.

Is it confusing, yes but is it documented, yes. It is what it is.
The pushback is on UA publishing inaccurate documentation. Did you also notice that it displays how many PQM's you earn in the post 2019 era? Do you think that is accurate documentation? Didn't UA move away from PQM's 3 years ago? If you want to just say United.com is not accurate and that is what it is, I would just say one should never accept inaccuracy from ones vendors. Especially one where professionalism is so very important.

But thanks, I do get the reality and now know not to accept united.com as an accurate source of information.
SamirD likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2022, 7:51 am

The pushback is on UA publishing inaccurate documentation. .....
Suspect you found a zombie page - an expired link -- via a "google" search. It had the right information for want you were querying -- can K be Basic Economy, which it can for some cases, such as TATL, but it had the older elite earning information. It is always a risk with a browser search to get a zombie page -- UA should delete that old page but UA is far from the on organization with this issue.

If you go to UA.com and follow the links on earning miles from flights, you get the present day version on the zombie page
https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...es/united.html

Which has footnote 5
and present day status earning rules
SamirD likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2022, 9:18 am

Hi all, I have a BE booking for 3 adults.
Website says:
Complimentary seat selection is not available
Group and family seating is not available

Does this mean all 3 of us will get random seats like ryanair?
If yes, can we still after random seats have been assigned, change and buy seats to sit together?
Or can we request this at the gate?

Thanks in advance.
SamirD likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2022, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by daruda
Website says:

If yes, can we still after random seats have been assigned, change and buy seats to sit together?

Thanks in advance.
Well, if you bought the tickets from UA's website, you had to click the following to purchase them:

So, yes, y'all will get random seats like Ryanair.

Here are the key facts:
  • When purchasing a Basic Economy ticket, you will not receive a complimentary seat assignment but may be able to purchase advance seat assignments during booking and up until check-in opens. If you don’t purchase an advance seat assignment, your seat will be automatically assigned to you prior to boarding, and you won't be able to change your seat once it's been assigned.
  • No guarantee of adjacent seats with companions
David
SamirD likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2022, 12:29 pm

Well I booked via brussels airlines.
it's a long haul flight bru ewr.

But after random seat assignment can you still buy seats or arrange something at the gate?
SamirD likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2022, 4:08 pm

Well I booked via brussels airlines.
it's a long haul flight bru ewr.

But after random seat assignment can you still buy seats or arrange something at the gate?
we are flying today and I have had to deal with this piece of trash BE for weeks, flying to Venice Italy, we were booked economy class last year then UA cancels segments and rebooks us as BE. after 10 plus phone conversations and emails it was never sorted and now I'm paying 400 usd extra for baggage and seats for US. Trust me unless congress does something about how bad we are treated, The US public will continue to be the bottom of world Airline service.

I absolutely hate UA.
SamirD likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2022, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Website says:

Thanks in advance.
I don’t know that UAs policy is specifically to give BE pax traveling on same PNR random seats in different areas of the plane, however, given no free seat selection, and the fact that these seats seem to be assigned by UA at check in or maybe shortly before, it’s possible there are not 3 seats together at time your seats are allocated. The disclaimer is there because the seating is allocated based on what is available at the time, and many pax will have selected seats (for free) prior - so there may or may not be seats available together. I would not personally by BE when traveling with family (and probably not even when traveling alone), but if you do, and you want seats together, might be best to pay for the seat selection. If there is one thing that is pretty much guaranteed, save for a last minute swap to a larger aircraft, or something that incentivizes others to switch to different flight (ie, long delay), it’s that availability now (however long it is before your flight) is going to be better than at the time seats will be allocated for you.

UA (AFAIK), is not like some other carriers that will allocate minors and parents on a booking without free advance seat assignments. Airlines might take a tack like making sure a minor is sitting with at least one of the adults (ie, AC - but you don’t get to pick - they do), or BA, which will allocate seats a few days before departure to ensure that a minor is with 1 adult.

Originally Posted by whuds11
we are flying today and I have had to deal with this piece of trash BE for weeks, flying to Venice Italy, we were booked economy class last year then UA cancels segments and rebooks us as BE. after 10 plus phone conversations and emails it was never sorted and now I'm paying 400 usd extra for baggage and seats for US. Trust me unless congress does something about how bad we are treated, The US public will continue to be the bottom of world Airline service.

I absolutely hate UA.
im not sure what happened in your instance, but UA should not be, and probably can not, rebook you in BE. There is supposed to be a ‘gate’ between BE and non-BE, so to speak. For example, if you decide you want to change flights, and are on a regular fare, you can not change that PNR to BE. You also cannot change a BE ticket, even after an invol cancelation to a regular fare.

id call and find out what is going on. Maybe you were on a BE fare when you booked and didn’t realize it. If you booked via Brussels, I beleive ‘light’ fares are the equivalent of BE, so maybe that’s what was originally booked?
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2022, 1:35 pm

Hi there,

I made the huge mistake of buying a BE fare with United for a trip from the US to Europe. Due to some family matters, I'm considering changing the trip to later this year but trying not to lose hundreds of dollars.

I know this is part of the game, and that's why those tickets are cheaper, but is there any workaround to avoid this "use it or lose it" situation?

I heard of cases where people can upgrade the ticket to economy before changing it, but apparently it only works for domestic flights.

Any tips are appreciated. Thanks!
Old Mar 24, 2022, 4:22 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by dtc_
Hi there,

I made the huge mistake of buying a BE fare with United for a trip from the US to Europe. Due to some family matters, I'm considering changing the trip to later this year but trying not to lose hundreds of dollars.

I know this is part of the game, and that's why those tickets are cheaper, but is there any workaround to avoid this "use it or lose it" situation?

I heard of cases where people can upgrade the ticket to economy before changing it, but apparently it only works for domestic flights.

Any tips are appreciated. Thanks!
How far away are you from the date of travel? Maybe a schedule change would help
Old Mar 24, 2022, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by Flying Machine
How far away are you from the date of travel? Maybe a schedule change would help
Probably a whole bunch. Or even a cancellation or two.

David
Old Mar 24, 2022, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dtc_
that’s correct, AFAIK. ‘Upgrading’ for regular economy features (which apparently doesn’t actually change the ticket to regular Y, or so I was told in another thread) is only available for domestic BE, not for international.

Again, as I’ve mentioned umpteen times, the marketing of BE for both domestic and international fares that have different features is pretty confusing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.